Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

7 hours ago, Jandrew said:

Still haven't seen Billboards, but I clicked the spoilers anyway and its intriguing. Keep hearing about this racist stuff. Kind of glad I never paid for it when it finally came to town and I can just rent it for a few quarters next month.

This has been a weak BP slate for me anyway. Post, Water, Phantom Thread, none of them have really piqued me. I've been interested in I Tonya though, and did see All The Way. I should've saw Lady Bird when it was out though, seems like a more arty Eo17.

Don't sleep on Call Me by Your Name. And The Florida Project may have just gotten one nomination but watch it anyway to see why it should have gotten like seven more. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, aabattery said:

The Man Who Wasn't There was okay. Didn't really grab me like most Coens stuff does. I am a bit tired though so maybe it just went over my head today.

Had the same reaction my first time but this recent piece by Mike D'Angelo (one of my favorite critics) has had me itching to revisit it. Might be some hidden depths there.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DAJK said:

Next semester I'll be at uni in Victoria so I'll be paying a lot more for this course mainly because it'll add up on top of the other courses I have to do for my degree and push some things back because it's a pre req

Is it offered in the summer? 

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

That sucks, but I'd still drop it. A W will look much better than a C or worse.

Yea that's what I was starting to consider. But it's more than halfway through the semester and I'm at like 98% in the course so even if it goes downhill I don't know how bad my grade could get

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Yea that's what I was starting to consider. But it's more than halfway through the semester and I'm at like 98% in the course so even if it goes downhill I don't know how bad my grade could get

Wait, you're that high in the course? :jeb!: How are assignments weighted?

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Wait, you're that high in the course? :jeb!: How are assignments weighted?

I got 100% on the midterm, and my assignment average is 88% or something. The quizzes are online but you get to do them as many times as you want (they take a while tho) but my OCD doesn't let me get anything less than 100

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I got 100% on the midterm, and my assignment average is 88% or something. The quizzes are online but you get to do them as many times as you want (they take a while tho) but my OCD doesn't let me get anything less than 100

What are the assignments exactly? Are they other exams? If so, that's a lot of weight put into the midterm.

12 hours ago, DAJK said:

Really wanting to drop Stats because this new teacher is just awful. But it's well past the drop date without academic penalty, and our prof switch occurred right before the drop date, so we didn't even get this new prof until the drop date. 

So it's like... how was I supposed to know that this prof would be so bad so I could just not take the course. I seriously have no clue what's going on in that class anymore. Lecture notes from the course administrator used to be available online, but she has since taken them down and replaced them with her slideshows which are just awful because they are just examples from the textbook which she tells us the answers to in class. Literally, that's all the class is is her reading a word problem, then looking at her sheet and giving us a number that is the answer and moving on, without any explanation for what the question even means or how we get that answer. fuckkkkkkkkkkk

This happened to me in a college Math course - my solution - raise your hand and ask "how" she got her answer and if she can go over the "how and why" step by step.  A lot of Math professors just seem to think this stuff is obvious, and if you're clueless, other class members are probably clueless.  And the worst thing that happens is she ignores you and you have to do the same at office hours vs in class hours...

• Like 1