Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

14 minutes ago, Trolltastic Tele said:

Did I miss something?

I edited a link in to my post.  Here is the twitter link:

Long rumored, long dreaded by me. :(

NOTE:  This is the first time I recall this rumor has surfaced in a legit publication like Bloomberg and not some rando blog somewhere.

Not confirmed, no.  But it is one of the first real legit pieces of rumor I have run across on this and it ain't a good sign at all, IMO.

Edited by Porthos

4 minutes ago, MrPink said:

But Mercy the GOAT :sparta:

He released better Timberlake music this year than Timberlake did :winomg: 

2 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Didn't he start releasing music like 2 years ago??

:ph34r:

His first album was 2015, so I'm in the clear here :lol: 

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I edited a link in to my post.  Here is the twitter link:

Long rumored, long dreaded by me. :(

NOTE:  This is the first time I recall this rumor has surfaced in a legit publication like Bloomberg and not some rando blog somewhere.

Not confirmed, no.  But it is one of the first real legit pieces of rumor I have run across on this and it ain't a good sign at all, IMO.

Hmm... seems like the situation now is far different than the Apple of old, way back in the day. tbh it seems like good news to me -- assuming the new chips are good, of course. We'll have to see what the new systems are like, later in the year (laptops and hopefully that long-awaited MacPro update). Interested to hear why you're down on the news.

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

a lil patch you put on your arm, I used it after college to get my shit together

I did a bit of research so maybe I will look it up. I started trying to quit a month ago but I have failed miserably. After a week I started doing 2-3 per day and they have been increasing ever since.. I've got a troubled family history with lungs so I have to do something.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

He released better Timberlake music this year than Timberlake did :winomg: 

His first album was 2015, so I'm in the clear here :lol: 

Well, I still think that Stitches is the song I liked the most (it was super catchy) but I don't remember having listened anything else rather than Treat You Better and Mercy :P 

• Like 1

Just now, FantasticBeasts said:

I did a bit of research so maybe I will look it up. I started trying to quit a month ago but I have failed miserably. After a week I started doing 2-3 per day and they have been increasing ever since.. I've got a troubled family history with lungs so I have to do something.

Yea it's a bitch but e-cigs aren't really gonna help, just keep you in the habit and make it easier to jump right back in

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Well, I still think that Stitches is the song I liked the most (it was super catchy) but I don't remember having listened anything else rather than Treat You Better and Mercy :P 

Being further away from the mic on these new singles is doing wonders to his musical ability.

uu9pmDP.gif

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Trolltastic Tele said:

Hmm... seems like the situation now is far different than the Apple of old, way back in the day. tbh it seems like good news to me -- assuming the new chips are good, of course. We'll have to see what the new systems are like, later in the year (laptops and hopefully that long-awaited MacPro update). Interested to hear why you're down on the news.

I like being able to run Windows on my Mac. :) But also compiling/converting apps between x86 systems, while not 'easy' is easier than compiling apps with different chip architecture.

That is, it is easier to make both a Windows application and a Mac version of it when they are both based on x86 code.  More difficult if it is based on x86 and A(x) chips.  Even introducing one more medium sized hurdle makes it that less likely for developers to port over their programs/games that run on Windows over to the Mac.

It also opens the door for an eventual merger of iOS and macOS and the 'closed garden' that represents.  I'm generally fine with the walled off near-total control Apple has on my iPad.  I am not fine with it at all for my desktop.

About the only reason to really be happy with this news is if one wants tighter integration between the iPad/iPhone and the Mac.  Which, admittedly, isn't a small want for many. But I'm definitely not one of them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

I like being able to run Windows on my Mac. :) But also compiling/converting apps between x86 systems, while not 'easy' is easier than compiling apps with different chip architecture.

That is, it is easier to make both a Windows application and a Mac version of it when they are both based on x86 code.  More difficult if it is based on x86 and A(x) chips.  Even introducing one more medium sized hurdle makes it that less likely for developers to port over their programs/games that run on Windows over to the Mac.

It also opens the door for an eventual merger of iOS and macOS and the 'closed garden' that represents.  I'm generally fine with the walled off near-total control Apple has on my iPad.  I am not fine with it at all for my desktop.

About the only reason to really be happy with this news is if one wants tighter integration between the iPad/iPhone and the Mac.  Which, admittedly, isn't a small want for many. But I'm definitely not one of them.

Yeah, I understand those concerns. (tbh I haven't run bootcamp in years so I hadn't even thought of that as missing out). I guess my wants are more around regular updates to the laptop/desktop lines, so if this helps Apple streamline their development and make hardware updates more consistent, then I'm happy.

In terms of the walled garden, seems like the Apple Store has been headed that way already -- as long as indie developers continue to have easy and regular access to the Store, though, it seems less of an issue than I would've thought years ago.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Trolltastic Tele said:

Yeah, I understand those concerns. (tbh I haven't run bootcamp in years so I hadn't even thought of that as missing out). I guess my wants are more around regular updates to the laptop/desktop lines, so if this helps Apple streamline their development and make hardware updates more consistent, then I'm happy.

In terms of the walled garden, seems like the Apple Store has been headed that way already -- as long as indie developers continue to have easy and regular access to the Store, though, it seems less of an issue than I would've thought years ago.

Well I don't exactly believe Apple would regularly update their lines, so.... ;)

As for the bolded bit, being the grognard that I am, I still get the vast majority of programs outside of the Apple Store ecosystem.  Either via independent routes or via Steam/other providers.

---

To put my concern another way, I like using Apple products; I just don't trust Apple when it comes to how it manages its Stores.  I've seen far too many instances where they've rejected something or removed something from the store where they shouldn't have.

Now maybe I am worrying over nothing.  On the other hand the violent rejection of Windows 8 should be an object lesson to Apple that integration of mobile and desktop experiences is not a road one should go down.

A desktop is just a fundamentally different experience from mobile, in many ways.  Perhaps one day tighter integration makes sense.  But I think that day is a long way off.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Trolltastic Tele said:

Did I miss something?

Mac became popular when they stopped being Mac and became PC (switching to UNIX and intel architecture like everyone else), going back at being unique like the PowerPC days could be interesting now that they are giant and maybe could work better than in the past. If it is ARM or an other Intel/AMD Competitor it is hard to imagine how they could be competitive performance wise.

That sound to be an other step into I would imagine not being usable by professional for any heavy work stuff (they are already heading in that direction too, now that non-pro are using them unlike the past when it was a large part of their niche market)

I imagine this is a serious rumors because it did hit Intel pretty bad:

https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/intc

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Porthos said:

To put my concern another way, I like using Apple products; I just don't trust Apple when it comes to how it manages its Stores.  I've seen far too many instances where they've rejected something or removed something from the store where they shouldn't have.

Now maybe I am worrying over nothing.  On the other hand the violent rejection of Windows 8 should be an object lesson to Apple that integration of mobile and desktop experiences is not a road one should go down.

A desktop is just a fundamentally different experience from mobile, in many ways.  Perhaps one day tighter integration makes sense.  But I think that day is a long way off.

I think you may be lumping too many assumptions together. At least, I hope so for your sake. :lol: (And to some extent mine too.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

Mac became popular when they stopped being Mac and became PC (switching to UNIX and intel architecture like everyone else), going back at being unique like the PowerPC days could be interesting now that they are giant and maybe could work better than in the past. If it is ARM or an other Intel/AMD Competitor it is hard to imagine how they could be competitive performance wise.

That sound to be an other step into I would imagine not being usable by professional for any heavy work stuff (they are already heading in that direction too, now that non-pro are using them unlike the past when it was a large part of their niche market)

Yes, I'm well aware of Apple's history of processors. "Pro" is such a wide range of areas it's hard to lump them into one category -- certainly in large portions of my industry Macs still reign supreme. (And in other areas PCs became entrenched quite awhile ago). I have to imagine Apple intends their chips to be competitive. The pro arena is a small niche of their sales these days but it's an area in which they've always had quite a bit of pride.