Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

9 minutes ago, Trolltastic Tele said:

A. That's not true at all, ya goof. (Putting aside your opinion of whether it's best or not). Anderson served as his own DP.

B. The gaffer is also incredibly important in terms of creating what the camera captures. 

http://collider.com/phantom-thread-cinematographer-paul-thomas-anderson/

“I should really clarify that. That would be disingenuous and just plain wrong to say that I was the director of photography on the film. The situation was that I work with a group of guys on the last few films and smaller side projects. Basically, in England, we were able to sort of work without an official director of photography. The people I would normally work with were unavailable, and it just became a situation where we collaborated — really in the best sense of the word — as a team. I know how to point the camera in a good direction, and I know a few things. But I’m not a director of photography.”

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

del toro's last three movies are ugly

Crimson Peak and Sow have nice production design but I doknt really look at any of the shots and be like oh damn that's pretty

Edited by Ethan Hunt

2 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I don't know if this can be chalked up to cinematography but Shape of Water sure looked a lot more expensive than it was

Random, but I think this about every Laika film. There's so much effort put into every frame, it's ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Oh yeah. I guess i have Netflix now? (Not that I'm paying for it but someone made me a user on their account so that's cool.) So I guess i should check out Mudbound

So also yeah i dont know what all is on Netflix so totes let me know what i should check out

He kept talking about Powell and pressburger as a visual influence on sow so you know he fucked up somewhere. You can't talk about the guys who literally made the most beautiful movies ever made and give me this murky shit.

3 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I'm partial to the dark rain-soaked aesthetic myself. Will grant that there wasn't much of a purpose to it in Pacific Rim.

Gah, I hated it. If you're going to give me giant robots fighting giant monsters, at least let me see what is happening.

Edited by elcaballero
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

And yet, he was, by default if nothing else (since he'd be the one making the ultimate choice). The fact that he didn't feel like giving himself a credit is beside the point.

Edited by Trolltastic Tele