Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Just now, filmlover said:

We did one for 1997 last year so 1998 should be the near the top of the next "Yearly Best" lists we do (even though Saving Private Ryan is winning obviously).

Yeah but we also did ‘07 and ‘12.  I was trying to start with the same order we did last year (which went ‘07, ‘12, ‘87, and ‘97)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Yeah but we also did ‘07 and ‘12.  I was trying to start with the same order we did last year (which went ‘07, ‘12, ‘87, and ‘97)

It's not like that order made any sense though. Just random skipping around. 

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

It's not like that order made any sense though. Just random skipping around. 

That is fair but another way of looking at it is getting the least interesting one out of the way first.  We all know Nolan will win ‘08 so whatever, let’s get this over with

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 1

Just now, That One Guy said:

That is fair but another way of looking at it is getting the least interesting one out of the way first.  We all know Nolan will win ‘08 so whatever, let’s get this over with

let's not. walle will be #2 and iron man will be #3 and nobody cares about any other movie that came out in 2008. i've saved us even more time. 

Looking at the other possibilities 1988 could give us an interesting showdown between Die Hard, Roger Rabbit and the two Ghibli movies especially if enough people participate. 1993 and 1998 belong to the Spielbergs but there'd be room for surprises below. 2003 is ROTK followed by Finding Nemo and then Pirates and Kill Bill and honestly I'm not sure the rest would be worth it even though there are some great movies there. 2013 Gravity very likely wins but not necessarily by a large margin and it's a really packed year beyond that, the order could be fun. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

let's not. walle will be #2 and iron man will be #3 and nobody cares about any other movie that came out in 2008. i've saved us even more time. 

I have a different perspective.

In a dry year such as 2008, the battle won't be what becomes the winner of the year, or even what occupies the top 5 of the year. The real battle, for many of the films, will be getting on the list at all. I planned ahead and put together a list of 18 films I'd like to put on a list, with more 2008 films I've never heard of that I'd love to try watching so that I can have a proper list. I want a reason like a Top 25 list to visit some films that I missed because I was too young for them. That's why I think 2008 can potentially be just as intriguing as 1998 or 1988: the discoveries that film enthusiasts would be making.

Edited by Slambros
  • Like 1