Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

looking at all the movies that won acting oscars this year

i, tonya

three billboards

darkest hour

all such great classics literally no person has talked about since the oscars happened 4 months ago. this page on this thread is actually the first time someone has mentioned them since then.

I saw all three of them at the front of Best Buy the other day 🤔

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

We don't have to deal with ratings on the cover though.

No. You guys just have to deal with gigantic Rotten Tomatoes logos, People Magazine Recomendation stickers, and flimsy slim cases that look like they might snap in half.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, AJG said:

No. You guys just have to deal with gigantic Rotten Tomatoes logos, People Magazine Recomendation stickers, and flimsy slim cases that look like they might snap in half.

Most of these are just stickers on the slipcover that can be peeled off. As for the cases, nah.

2 minutes ago, AJG said:

I actually prefer the slim cases as well. The UK ones are ridiculously large.

1 hour ago, Pandamia! said:

I don’t think it’s the community aspects people aren’t enjoying.

It’s sitting back and reflecting on what we’re actually celebrating with the 4th.  IMO, id probably rank it as our most hollow holiday, even moreso than Valentines Day or Halloween.

I guess...since I'm former military, maybe I enjoy the free-ness of the holiday more...it's usually a perfect day to freely enjoy all of life's little pleasures...and when you're in the military, there are times when you didn't get to have any of those pleasures, so it's a little sweeter, I guess...

I mean, like getting a hot dog slathered in mustard and relish and sweet, sweet berries after a cool dip in the pool - if you've never lived off MREs for few days while marching through rugged terrain and braving the elements (bugs, drenching rain, heat, humidity) with the clothes and gear on your back (and this is just what you did at field training in college - this isn't even real military work:), you don't know how wonderful that is...yes, I started to love this holiday after that college experience, since I got home about 2 weeks before the holiday:)...

Sometimes, I think we Americans forget how good we do have it.  Are we perfect?  Far from it...but nobody and no country is...and when you get out and interact in person with the folks around you, you tend to get a better, happier picture of who we really are.  It's said the Internet brings out the worst in us...and I think that's true.  If I went by what the internet said about anyone and anywhere, I'd never step out of my house...but people are better than these distorted pictures we see.  

let's do a case study to compare US and UK dvd cases and see which is better.

33757143_sa.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=501-191739.jpg?w=500

The UK version gives a fuller view of Denzel's perfect suit, and also putting the nightcrawler credit above denzel's and then the title makes it go from smallest to largest text which is aesthetically cleaner. also helpful boxes showing the great supporting characters. not cluttered by meaningless review quotes. helpfully displays rating to let viewers know if their child should FACE THE ISRAEL. and also ALL RISE.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

The UK version gives a fuller view of Denzel's perfect suit, and also putting the nightcrawler credit above denzel's and then the title makes it go from smallest to largest text which is aesthetically cleaner. also helpful boxes showing the great supporting characters. not cluttered by meaningless review quotes. helpfully displays rating to let viewers know if their child should FACE THE ISRAEL. and also ALL RISE.

Meanwhile in Portugal:

Spoiler

Nothing, because this wasn't even released theatrically and got an exclusive VOD release in late February. Nobody cares.

Just now, CJohn said:

Meanwhile in Portugal:

Hide contents

Nothing, because this wasn't even released theatrically and got an exclusive VOD release in late February. Nobody cares.

God what a trash country.  imagine not having Roman J. Israel, Esq. readily available to watch.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Meanwhile in Portugal:

Reveal hidden contents

this is why you're out of the world cup and england isn't.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

DSilUu3NCnxxdRYqeohYz_ol_-G7sC3Lsi_8R8Hf

• Like 1

I threw up a ton at work today from an awful migraine and my stomach is so sore I'm mildly afraid I may have internal bleeding. There's nobody at my house, so there's a nonzero chance my last meaningful human interaction is a post in the Jurassic World 3 thread in On The Lot about dinosaur dicks. Going out on top, baby.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 7

Man there are shady ass neighborhoods in South Florida but damn if they don't have some of the best taco trucks.

Next time though need to remember to bring my parent's Honda instead of my car. Had a little bit too much attention on me.

2 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

Okay wowa.

I'm certainly proud to be an American still. Am I proud currently? I'm not currently proud of our current policies and administration and I think they bring shame to America but I'm also proud of the idea of America: freedom, equality for all even if we are still fighting for these noble ideas within ourselves. 

By the way, the war was 100% about freedom. Yes, it started out as some people weren't happy they had to pay taxes they didn't vote for but by the end of the war, they absolutely believed in what they claimed they were fighting for. It's why it really didn't take that long for voting rights to expand to more and more men: the ideas those soldiers fought for took root in the nation and while racism and sexism was a barrier, those ideas have made tremendous progress.

Seriously, those "radicals" had a huge worldwide changing perspective change thanks to those taxes they were mad at and it I believe has changed the world for the better.

You can be cynical all you want. Just know that while you, who were born in this country, question if America is worth it, thousands of thousands of people are literally risking their lives, their families to cross a perilous desert just so they can have some of that opportunity you think doesn't exist. And with that opportunity they can provide for their families back home that are actually stuck having no opportunity.

My family has chosen the US over Mexico time and time and time again and even with Trump, we keep choosing to remain in America. We wouldn't do that if America was a sham.

I probably went down a bit too hard on be founding fathers, however most of them were hypocrites when they talked about things like liberty while denying that liberty to others (there were only a few of them that really stated any opposition to slavery, for one).  But I’m simply saying you can look at the progress we made, however most of that progress came to the UK (who we seceded from) first, and many of their ideas were expanding on the ideas of other enlightenment thinkers such as Locke.  

As Americans, we’re pretty self-important when we think we invented the idea of liberty, when for most of history we followed the lead of whatever was happening in Western European countries and were nearly always second to including the new liberties (which beat us to freeing slaves, women’s suffrage, industrial revolution, etc.  Even currently with things like gay marriage, they beat us to it).  It wasn’t until Post-WW1/WW2 that we really became a world power/leader.  

And we yeah there’s plenty of people risking their lives to cross our borders, but that’s because we’re the closest developed nation to them.  Western Europe also receives the same kind of immigration (especially with Syria), people go to the closest country that’s not as shitty as their own.

I also wasn’t calling the US the worst country in the world or anything.  We’re plenty better off here than in some areas (but in some ways, there’s quite a few, but not all, third world countries that are in their poor situations because of meddling from Europe and the US throughout different points in history).  

I was saying I’ve begun to think this country probably isn’t worth celebrating as a whole, that’s a whole lot different than saying it’s not worth fighting for or living in.  

It’s not all bad, and there’s been plenty of times in history where the US has been a beneficial force in the world.  But reflecting back, even in some of the times where we were in the most right, there were some major taints.

Granted, others are free to continue being patriotic.  I’ve just reached the point where I’ve thought “what am I celebrating?”, a country’s heritage that is rooted in racism, xenophobia, sexism, slavery and genocide (natives) or a country that’s still being haunted by the lingering effects of those roots.

Theres parts of America that I can get behind and celebrate/honor.  Such as black history month where we celebrate positive contributions different people of color have made in the country.  Or Memorial Day where we honor/remember the people our country sent off to war and weren’t able to return.  Holidays that remember positive progress the country has made and the people that helped push for that progress.

I kind of see the 4th as a celebration of America as a whole, and I think there’s more than enough bad in the present and in our past where I feel as if I personally celebrate America as a whole, I’m being permissive to those pretty horrific aspects of our country that we still haven’t worked our way past yet.  

I don’t expect everyone to feel that way, but it is the way I feel personally.