Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

9 hours ago, terrestrial said:

It started out as a mini-squint, also a dominant / less dominant eye based on that in a way (too lengthy to explain the fine nuances)

Doctors then told my mother I need to get one eye covered up to re-train my second eye-brain connection, that has to be done before the age of 6y, as much earlier as better.

It developed further to the degree my weaker eye simply does not really ‚look‘ anymore, like I can see with it, if I cover up my dominant eye, but it needs ages till it starts to look a bit more focused, its a bit like if you stare without focus whilst thinking about something not related to the things before you, or daydreaming,... if that makes sense.

The ‚lazy‘ eye does deliver the typical far outside the middle point information, like the edge of your seeing-field, if there is something moving, that kind of information gets delivered to the brain, like whilst driving a car I know when another one is passing me, but I do use the outside mirrors of the car and the middle mirror very very often, always using them grouped together, more than once per minute.

I have to calculate distances per the amount of e.g. tiles or wooden boards...- on the floor between me and someone else, on streets we have ~ street mark poles every 50 meters (in curves its shorter), those I use a lot too, how many % of a tree crown is filling my front window view .... many many tricks to know how much distance is around me, my car,...

= why I never drive whilst being tired.

In a very good quality 3D cinema I usually can see at least a clear(er) picture/video, means not like a drunk in a movie is sometimes shown to see, not like 2 pictures in one with a little difference. But not as 3D

3D in a cinema (or real life) I have only seen for one movie-very high quality technology cinema combination, that was then Avatar. It took around 10 to 15 minutes, then I started to see ~ the air between the people on screen in a way, some awareness about there is being more.

Since then I can describe my viewing / seeing ability to like how normal people see a postcard, or painting = all is the same kind of flat, only the size of things let me know how far away something is, or the pattern on the ground, see the mentioned amount of floor tiles,...

Is it the same for you too?

Let's continue the discussion here.

I have more or less the same vision for both eyes, but my brain can't connect the two pictures. I only focus with one at a given time, and I can decide which of them I want to use. I also needed to cover one part of my glasses so I could learn to use the other eye. Here it's called monocular vision (I don't know what the proper English term is). My mom also has it and 3 of my brothers, so it's a genetic defect. It's also kind of rare, I find it funny when I mention it to a regular doctor (during the workplace health test for example) and he/she doesn't even know about it.

I had 4 eye surgeries between the age of 6 and 12, all of them failed to fix this problem. But as a side effect I could take off my glasses and didn't have to wear them until recently (I'm 28). It's fairly normal to live with these conditions, I have no problem with driving (I have my license since the age of 18) or sports. The only thing I can't do is 3D cinema (though I never tried).

Edit: Okay, I also can't do what Anna does on my profile picture. :P

Edited by misafeco
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, misafeco said:

Absolutely. YYYY/MM/DD is the only date format which makes sense.

PREACH.

So glad it's the official format in Canada - been my preference since I was a kid, the only format that's unambiguous, and also sorts correctly by alphanumeric ordering.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, misafeco said:

Let's continue the discussion here.

I have more or less the same vision for both eyes, but my brain can't connect the two pictures. I only focus with one at a given time, and I can decide which of them I want to use. I also needed to cover one part of my glasses so I could learn to use the other eye. Here it's called monocular vision (I don't know what the proper English term is). My mom also has it and 3 of my brothers, so it's a genetic defect. It's also kind of rare, I find it funny when I mention it to a regular doctor (during the workplace health test for example) and he/she doesn't even know about it.

I had 4 eye surgeries between the age of 6 and 12, all of them failed to fix this problem. But as a side effect I could take off my glasses and didn't have to wear them until recently (I'm 28). It's fairly normal to live with these conditions, I have no problem with driving (I have my license since the age of 18) or sports. The only thing I can't do is 3D cinema (though I never tried).

Edit: Okay, I also can't do what Anna does on my profile picture. :P

I think its in at least parts very similar, I have no idea how it is called in my case.

If I cover up my good / dominant eye several times within a few days, then I can do it like you do it always, like left and right alternately. As she never did the covering up (she was too lazy for that, but she was also rather abusive to the degree of being dangerous for us,... a mother in name only), I never developed my not dominant eye to that degree like you did.

Yeah, most doctors react at first like wtf I am talking about, but those exchanges happened only later in life, I didn‘t knew till I was in my late ‘30 about normal people do not see like I see.

I learned it accidentally during the preventive medical checkup for my son, the Ophthalmologist heard me talking to my son about me not seeing the pictures in those 3D-postcards then (I knew I can not see those pictures, but I didn‘t knew and never thought about the whys, as I was so used to that), and so he sat me onto the checkup seat after my son. It was quite funny and rather informative, a real ‚eye-opener‘ in theory, followed by the next one in the cinema

Then I knew it in theory but still had no idea how to imagine how others do see the world. That happened as told during that screening, but only in a small amount, means my son told me he sees a spear flying beside/behind him, I only saw it ~ coming / looking out of the screen level, but not leaving that level. Like a pole rammed into the screen.

But as said, only with that movie and only in cinemas with a very good 3D-presentation technology.

If I‘d try to do what your Avatar character does I might literally start to puke.

• Thanks 1

shout out to this list of "iconic" movies on russell carpenter's wikipedia page

Much of his work as director of photography has been in iconic blockbuster films, including: True Lies, Ant-Man, XXX: Return of Xander Cage, This Means War, Monster-in-Law, Charlie's Angels (2000), its sequel Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

shout out to this list of "iconic" movies on russell carpenter's wikipedia page

I mean I guess This Means War is sorta iconic in that it probably made Hardy re-evaluate his career choices. He said he'll never make another romcom after that movie (Venom doesn't count).