Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

14 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Everytime I see a movie with my Dad he's actively annoyed when he sees this intro. When we saw Bottoms a few days ago he actually threw up his hands when it started. He wants it gone.

A local theater chain at my hometown has their own parody of that intro for some screenings and it's actually funny.

The Regal one has a bit of a cringey charm that feels a touch self-aware and at least acknowledges movies that came out in the last century. The AMC one is this annoying, self-important silliness that prides their theaters as this sweet haven of culture, and their "we come here to dream and become inspired" montage consists of three movies, and the oldest of them is Jurassic World. It's so laughable and idiotic, yet weirdos always applaud when it starts. I don't get it.

• ...wtf 1

15 minutes ago, Eric McCall said:

The Regal one has a bit of a cringey charm that feels a touch self-aware and at least acknowledges movies that came out in the last century. The AMC one is this annoying, self-important silliness that prides their theaters as this sweet haven of culture, and their "we come here to dream and become inspired" montage consists of three movies, and the oldest of them is Jurassic World. It's so laughable and idiotic, yet weirdos always applaud when it starts. I don't get it.

The only time I’ve seen people applaud is when I go to an AMC in LA, and I just assume that’s part of the Hollywood connection of it all. 

I also agree the movie choices are also just odd. I like La La Land and Creed, as well as Spider-Verse and Star Is Born in the shorter version they sometimes show but there’s gotta be better choices that deliver the “movies are important” vibe they’re going for. Not that AMC actually believes in that if my time working there taught me anything. 

1 hour ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

The only time I’ve seen people applaud is when I go to an AMC in LA, and I just assume that’s part of the Hollywood connection of it all. 

I also agree the movie choices are also just odd. I like La La Land and Creed, as well as Spider-Verse and Star Is Born in the shorter version they sometimes show but there’s gotta be better choices that deliver the “movies are important” vibe they’re going for. Not that AMC actually believes in that if my time working there taught me anything. 

Normally, fhe Nicole Kidman ad doesn't get much reaction at my AMC in the Southeast, but did when I saw Barbie. Two camp events: it makes sense.

The ad has its own Wikipedia page. The campaign cost $25 million! It inspired merch! Biilly Ray (who directed Shattered Glass and got an Oscar nomination for the Captain Philips screenplay) did the ad script and says, "Heartbreak feels good in a place like this," is the best line he's ever written.

So it's obvious why AMC keeps the Kidman ad, even though it has detractors, there's also a cult following and sequel talk. The Regal movie lines appeared 9 months after AMC's, a clear copycat and textbook case of, "You tried!"

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

20 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Normally, fhe Nicole Kidman ad doesn't get much reaction at my AMC in the Southeast, but did when I saw Barbie. Two camp events: it makes sense.

The ad has its own Wikipedia page. The campaign cost $25 million! It inspired merch! Biilly Ray (who directed Shattered Glass and got an Oscar nomination for the Captain Philips screenplay) did the ad script and says, "Hearbreak feels good in a place like this," is the best line he's ever written.

So it's obvious why AMC keeps the Kidman ad, even though it has detractors, there's also a cult following and sequel talk. The Regal movie lines appeared 9 months after AMC's, a clear copycat and textbook case of, "You tried!"

Oh I totally get why they still have it, hell I thought it was funny at first too, but it wore out its welcome for me.

Also, Jeff Cronenweth directed it!? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

The ad has its own Wikipedia page. The campaign cost $25 million! It inspired merch! Biilly Ray (who directed Shattered Glass and got an Oscar nomination for the Captain Philips screenplay) did the ad script and says, "Hearbreak feels good in a place like this," is the best line he's ever written.

The worst thing about the Regal ad is that half the quotes don't even make sense in the context they are used in the ad. A bit more attention paid to the script and it would have been a fun ad instead of the cringe one it ended up being.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The worst thing about the Regal ad is that half the quotes don't even make sense in the context they are used in the ad. A bit more attention paid to the script and it would have been a fun ad instead of the cringe one it ended up being.

Maybe Regal was hoping the disjointed interactions would make it a true camp classic? Along with how Danny Trejo disappears and shows up again in his 15 second segment.

2 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Maybe Regal was hoping the disjointed interactions would make it a true camp classic? Along with how Danny Trejo disappears and shows up again in his 15 second segment.

The very first scene has the guy say "This place is nicer than my apartment" - yes, I'm sure a multiplex theater is nicer than your apartment. The kicker is the response of "Surely you can't be serious" to that information.

12 hours ago, grim22 said:

Right. There is potential. And even though it's my favorite part, if someone walked into the theater I was sitting in and went HEY YOU GUYYYYYYS, I'd be annoyed about what kind of cinema joker we were about to be subjected to.

11 hours ago, grim22 said:

The very first scene has the guy say "This place is nicer than my apartment" - yes, I'm sure a multiplex theater is nicer than your apartment. The kicker is the response of "Surely you can't be serious" to that information.

The worst part is this conversation:

"You can't sit with us!"

"So you're telling me there's a chance?"

Like...no. The dude clearly said you're not allowed to sit next to him. There's no chance and you know that. And if you want to use a Jim Carrey line, you can just have the guy say, "Alrighty then" and get the job done. It's so stupid.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dudalb said:

I remember when, except for the coming attractions, theaters did not have commercials before a movie....

I love arriving 20 mins late, so that i can skip the trailers of movies that I'll never watch. It's extra convenient that they allow booking of seats nowadays.