Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

24 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I guess it's Celebrity Memoir Month? Here comes Britney...

There's so many celebrity memoirs these days I can't keep up. I was at Target the other day and most of the books they had at the front were celebrity memoirs released within the past few months.

29 minutes ago, filmlover said:

There's so many celebrity memoirs these days I can't keep up. I was at Target the other day and most of the books they had at the front were celebrity memoirs released within the past few months.

They're probably some of the only books that sell at big box stores, along with whatever self-help guides that might be big at the time.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

23 minutes ago, Porthos said:

lol

"new" users for now, but this is coming for everyone sooner or later.  

(as will be more than $1/year)

Not buying this will actually happen

Musk also said he would remove block feature a few months ago which never happened

He is all talk, I guess.

12 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It will be new users, then all users, then 1$ a month and then 1$ a week.

As long as the nitter front end doesn't irrevocably break*, he can keep doing whatever he wants.

* knocks on imitation wood.

And by then, enough of an institutional structure should have been built up elsewhere to make it irrelevant if/when he finally breaks Twitter beyond all recognition.

(still have difficulty finding folks I want to keep an eye on for News/Sports/Entertainment on all of the Twitter competitors, so for now nitter still is my avenue of choice to keep abreast of various topics)

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

As long as the nitter front end doesn't irrevocably break*, he can keep doing whatever he wants.

* knocks on imitation wood.

And by then, enough of an institutional structure should have been built up elsewhere to make it irrelevant if/when he finally breaks Twitter beyond all recognition.

(still have difficulty finding folks I want to keep an eye on for News/Sports/Entertainment on all of the Twitter competitors, so for now nitter still is my avenue of choice to keep abreast of various topics)

Try Threads. It's becoming better day by day. MLB already posting a bunch of stuff there, and they are getting trending topics and DMs soon. Also, editing comments is free with a 5 minutes time limit. The fediverse integration looks to be ready to do soon enough as well. They need to release the API pretty much to get to full functionality.

Thanks to Musk acting as the head of acquisition, number of active users has sharply increased along with discussions in the last 2 weeks. 

If people don't move, then there's no point complaining about Twitter. 

17 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Try Threads. It's becoming better day by day. MLB already posting a bunch of stuff there, and they are getting trending topics and DMs soon. Also, editing comments is free with a 5 minutes time limit. The fediverse integration looks to be ready to do soon enough as well. They need to release the API pretty much to get to full functionality.

Thanks to Musk acting as the head of acquisition, number of active users has sharply increased along with discussions in the last 2 weeks. 

If people don't move, then there's no point complaining about Twitter. 

Not gonna sign up to any social media platform.  Haven't signed up to a single one (and yes, that includes Twitter), and I aim to keep my streak intact.

As such, my comments about the usability are solely about web interface/lurking.  And I haven't found the Threads interface to be that great as a logged out experience.  I'm sure it'll get better, but for now it's still far too much in an Alpha state for what I want to use it for (tracking down breaking news/discussions).  If I have to actually have a Threads account to get "real" usability out of it, I'll just pass on the experience and make do with other tools at my disposal.

Also, I do think some of y'all are just... setting yourselves up for the similar disappointments given it's controlled by Zuck.  He may pale in comparison to Musk, but I haven't forgotten some of his, shall we say, "choice" decisions when it comes to Facebook.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Also, I do think some of y'all are just... setting yourselves up for the similar disappointments given it's controlled by Zuck.  He may pale in comparison to Musk, but I haven't forgotten some of his, shall we say, "choice" decisions when it comes to Facebook.

It's the devil I know who has been harvesting my data for a decade plus versus the narcissistic asshole making a site unusable. Pretty easy decision there. Deleted my Twitter, never looked back.

• Like 1

I will give Threads credit for one thing:  Learning that Embedding is the Cheat Code to getting attention on the Greater Intrawebs.

If Post or Mastodon or others had cracked the Easy Embedding Cheat Code earlier, they might have had a leg up. But don't think I haven't noticed Threads embedded posts here and I do think That Matters.  A lot, actually.

Just now, grim22 said:

It's the devil I know who has been harvesting my data for a decade plus versus the narcissistic asshole making a site unusable. Pretty easy decision there. Deleted my Twitter, never looked back.

Never had Facebook, either. 👍 :lol:

(guy always rubbed me the wrong way, long before his megalomaniacal streak started to surface late last decade)

Threads > Xitter for sure. You dont care for either look at Mastadon but there is not sufficient engagement there nor at Bluesky. Plus most of the ailments at Twitter was Dorsey's doing. He did not have undivided attention(being CEO of 2 big public companies plus all his other activities).

Main reason to be in one of these media is connect to key folks whose posts have some takeaways. But dont get overly attached to any place. I liked twitter mostly for Fintwits. Sadly many of them still just post over there and so just go there to see what they are saying. Once most migrate to other sites, i will also delete Xitter. Musk is not just annoying. He is now a serious threat. 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2023 at 7:12 PM, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

You know, Danny DeVito and Rhea Perlmam announced they were separated but not divorcing years ago and just...respectfully moved on with their lives. I guess that's not dramatic enough for some people?

If only they worked and lived a place with publicists and top lawyers experienced in dealing with high-profile divorces....

Will really did that entanglement interview and the Oscars Slap to "defend" her and for what? It seems like a miserable existence. They should fully move on from each other, so he can be with someone who respects him and she can marry Tupac's ghost...

Post by @willsmith
View on Threads
  • Haha 1