Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

49 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Low quality meme is low quality (and effort) but:

8xra5f.jpg

(Pretty much was inevitable once Pelosi weighed in a few days ago)

My respect for her grows with every year that passes honestly. First stepping down from the Speaker spot for a younger Dem to get national spotlight, now this... seems like she's one of the few who recognizes that the Dems haven't done nearly enough to develop young talent

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, abracadabra1998 said:

My respect for her grows with every year that passes honestly. First stepping down from the Speaker spot for a younger Dem to get national spotlight, now this... seems like she's one of the few who recognizes that the Dems haven't done nearly enough to develop young talent

She's sorta/kinda in my backyard, so I've always been biased/had a soft spot for her, but she's gonna go down in the history books as one of the most consequential and powerful Speakers, ever.  Right along side Sam Rayburn, Tip O'Neil and (cracking open the history books on this one) Joe Cannon.

The one fault I give her, and it might stop her from being the best Speaker ever is that she wasn't quite forceful enough in handling the sheer criminality of Trump.  She should have been more strict on oversight and was a bit too timid on that score. I will note that wrangling someone like Trump is all but impossible so I will cut her some slack, especially under hindsight bias.  

She probably should have stepped aside one term earlier (Biden's first year in office), but I also realize that walking away ain't easy, as we just saw.  

But "coming at the king" ain't easy either, and she was one of the few who could have reasonably set these final dominoes in motion. That she was indeed the person to do it says a lot about her, and as Final Acts (presumably) of a Political Career go, pretty damn consequential.

• Like 2

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”
― Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Say what one will about the guy, dude knew how to turn a phrase.

(spinning out of a discussion with @Brainbug and @4815162342 but putting it here due to the pithy nature of my observation)

Something I’ve been thinking about: Leo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire made only three movies together, and only one of them was truly them starring together (The Great Gatsby). Feels weird they haven’t done more together, I think they have a great two-handler waiting to happen.

On 7/21/2024 at 11:12 AM, grim22 said:

With Biden, I was confident of an EC win even with a PV loss and third parties pulling votes. With Harris I'm confident she will win the PV and kill third party votes but will need to hustle a lot for that EC win - mainly WI and AZ.

Also, Roy Cooper for VP to win NC.

A month ago I would have agreed with you.

But Biden;s plunging poll numbers indicate he was damaged goods since the debate. Harris has a better chance.

I see that all the Bandwagoners are jumping on board the Glen Powell bandwagon since Twisters became a hit, and ,of course they will jump off as soon as Powell starts to cool down, which, eventually, he will.

I hate Bandwagoners. Nothing is more stupid then people who will minelessly jump on any trend to try to look hip and cool.

I have no quarrel with Powell, just with some of the silliness he seems to inspire in others.

3 minutes ago, abracadabra1998 said:

The guy who went third in that relay was insane, the commentators kept hyping up the first two guys but he was the one that really locked it up

Just a crazy split for him in an event he doesn't really do

• Like 1

So my father saw Deadpool and Wolverine and he said the RPX has the screens on the side of the wall, so that's neat.

The audience seemed to enjoy it quite a lot and clapped at some cameos.