Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

58 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

A Cure for Wellness is listed as being a 2016 film because they premiered it at a festival called...Butt-Numb-a-Thon

Nothing like premiering your film at creepy Harry Knowles' film festival

17 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Well, even going by US wide release date is kinda arbitrary. Sometimes foreign films don't show up here until long after they've premiered in their home countries. There's no easy answer to it unless someone can develop an algorithm to determine the exact date of a movie's widest worldwide release or something like that. 

Everything is arbitrary, sure. But using a method that’s counterintuitive to many (if not most) people using it seems like a poor choice. And the film festival method is the least-helpful option for anyone no matter where they live.

In theory a user could set their country and have movies set by local release year. 

• Like 1

Just now, aabattery said:

Letterboxd scrapes all its movie data from TMDB so unless they go through and check every movie individually, I doubt they'll change any of the release years. It is what it is, I guess. 

If they're scraping the data, then they technically have everything they need. They would just need to pull the data from another category. But obviously no one really cares (either there or at IMDB).

A film’s release date should be when it was first publically released in your country (as in, non-film festival release), so the release year will vary depending on where you live. For example, if you live in most places overseas, then Paddington 2 is a 2017 release, but for me, it’s a 2018 release.  Of course though, it becomes frustrating if a site is only using when it first premiered at a film festival for how it’s measured.  For example, Insidious played at two film festivals (at TIFF and at one in Spain) before getting released in March/April of 2011, yet everywhere you go it’s classified as a 2010 release, even though it shouldn’t be.  Another one is You’re Next, which played at TIFF and Fantastic Fest in 2011 and never played at so much as another film fest again until 2013.  Yet that’s classified as 2011.

• Like 1

Has anyone else watched The End Of The F***ing World? It was so damn brilliant! The total running time of the series is something like 2 and a half hours, yet it managed to create more a connection to the characters than any movie I have seen in a while.

24 minutes ago, James said:

Has anyone else watched The End Of The F***ing World? It was so damn brilliant! The total running time of the series is something like 2 and a half hours, yet it managed to create more a connection to the characters than any movie I have seen in a while.

Thanks, man! I will see it,

But the the total running time of the series is 4 hours.