Impact

2012-Best Actress thread!

Penn and Swank were in BP nominees when they received their second Oscars. Rust&Bone isn`t getting rave save for Cotillard so if she gets in she`ll be the sole nominee. Penn is a legend and Swank went through physcial transformation that was a huge talk of the town. Cotillard is playing a paraplegic which is what John Hawkes does in The Sessions and he is shoo-in for nomination if not for a win (real life paraplegic wants to lose his viginity is more baity than paraplegic). They won`t award 2 people for the same type of role.

And, Swank was helped greatly by that BP win for Million dollar Baby, if that didn't win BP, you'd be looking at Academy Award Winner Annette Bening right now.

I think they might throw her back into Lead if they feel Wallis' film can't sustain the momentum.But right now I'm feeling:Cotillard- Rust and BoneLawrence- Silver Linings PlaybookWallis- Beasts of the Southern WildWatts- The ImpossibleRiva- Amour

It's either Riva or Cotillard, even in a weak year like this, I honestly don't think that there's room in a line-up of 5 for 2 foreign language performances. My bet is on Riva, because if the Academy gets screeners of these foreign language films, Riva's is definitely the one they'll watch first, and Rust and Bone might have a huge fight to even get the regular Academy member to put it in their to watch list, as it's Audiard and that's definitely no where near Academy accessible. But, then again he did get Un Prophet nominated so there's hope for Cotillard.

Viola Davis (Won’t Back Down): A) It looks like a Lifetime movie B) She’s supporting

Uh no.

Actress in a Leading Role

Front Runners

Keira Knightley "Anna Karenina"

Jennifer Lawrence "The Silver Linings Playbook"

Emmanuelle Riva "Amour"

Quvenzhane Wallis "Beasts of the Southern Wild"

Contenders

Viola Davis "Won't Back Down"

Julianne Moore "What Maisie Knew"

Long Shots

Toni Collette "Jesus Henry Christ"

Marion Cotillard "Rust & Bone"

Rachel Weisz "The Deep Blue Sea"

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsononhollywood/oscar_predicts_chart

I doubt Anne Thompson would call her a contender if she was "supporting." Maggie Gyllenhal is supporting in Wont Back Down.

Uh no.I doubt Anne Thompson would call her a contender if she was "supporting." Maggie Gyllenhal is supporting in Wont Back Down.

People who've seen it say that Viola is the supporting one, and Maggie is the lead, but there's blatant category fraud that the Oscars are so famous for.

We don't know yet but man, a Jennifer Lawrence's meltdown Oscar speech has a potential of comedic gold mixed with crazyness, self loathing, pee and emotional truth.This could be EPIC in every way.Listen to some of her interviews on You tube, the girl is so sharp, fast and a bit crazy.But let's not get ahead of ourselves a sesond nomination at 22 would be already historical and that would put her on tracks with Kate Winslet, the Oscar darling of our era if you don't count Meryl.One problem though : she won't be able to campain because of Catching Fire .Campaining for Oscars can be a full time job, especially with Harvey, but I hear not everybody does it so

We don't know yet but man, a Jennifer Lawrence's meltdown Oscar speech has a potential of comedic gold mixed with crazyness, self loathing, pee and emotional truth.This could be EPIC in every way.Listen to some of her interviews on You tube, the girl is so sharp, fast and a bit crazy.But let's not get ahead of ourselves a sesond nomination at 22 would be already historical and that would put her on tracks with Kate Winslet, the Oscar darling of our era if you don't count Meryl.One problem though : she won't be able to campain because of Catching Fire .Campaining for Oscars can be a full time job, especially with Harvey, but I hear not everybody does it so

The last person to not campaign and win would be Mo'Nique. But, it's Harvey so I'm sure despite shooting Catching Fire, he'll force Lawrence to campaign, he even got Meryl who doesn't normally campaign really at all to campaign like crazy, she even went to that fucking AARP luncheon. So, Harvey will probably make Jennifer campaign, which would probably get her the win, because I'm not sure that she'll be able to pull it off if all of her other nominees campaign, and she doesn't.

Maggie Smith-if she wins she will break the record for the longest between Oscars. Prevoiusly held by Helen Hayes.Edit: Nevermind-her 2nd Oscar was in 1979. So that wont come close to the 38 year gap.

Edited by Impact
  • Like 1

I'm actually fairly confident in calling this year as a competition between Lawrence and Riva for the win, not that it'd even be much competition for Lawrence. Can't see anyone else winning except maybe Mirren of Hitchcock really breaks out but that's need a BP nom for that to happen.I'n kinda hoping that the academy will reward Riva this year simply because Lawrence's career is still young and she'll have many more opportunities down the road to win. Riva's devastating in her film, and plus this is like a role of a lifetime for her, and her best shot at ever winning it, and by god does she deserve it. Plus this year's Oscar ceremony is on Riva's 87th Birthday, and it'd be such a sweet present for her to win on her birthday.

Mirren and KK are too Brits. Not gonna happen. Cotillard and Riva are two foreigners. Not gonna happen. It`s one or the other for each duo. Take your pick.Is Hunt going Lead or Supporting?

Definitely supporting now, there was some doubt a few weeks ago but with Mirren and Wallis being Searchlight's horses in leading they don't have the capacity to campaign a third leading actress.