Impact

2012-Best Actress thread!

I think we'll know early in the night if Haneke beats Tarantino for Screenplay if Riva will win. Amour definitely overperformed in nominations, we'll see if enough Academy members see the film to actually give it awards. 

I don't think that'll be indicative. I think Tarantino and Riva are gonna both win.

• Like 1

^^^ I agree. The screenplay is in a foreign language going up against Tarantino's dialogues. It isn't a fair fight. I think Tarantino and Rica will both win. As far as SLP's acting noms are concerned, don't rule out DeNiro. There are no clear frontrunners for Best Supporting Actor so  a veteran like DeNiro has as much of a shot at a repeat as someone like Waltz.

There may be no clear frontrunner, but TLJ has SAG, Waltz has a Globe and a BAFTA, and Hoffman has BFCA. De Niro has nothing except nominations. I'd be shocked if he won.

And Haneke taking the screenplay from QT would be even more ridiculous than Boal doing it in '10. I actually think Django is one of Tarantino's two weakest films (Death Proof being the other), yet screenplay-wise it's still miles above all the other nominees as far as story, dialogue and characterization are concerned. The only one that rivals it is The Master and it's not in contention.

Wait? He cast shitto in the Meryl movie? :wtf:

yeah, that traitor. WTF is he thinking? That she`ll outact Streep, Swank and maybe Kendrick (who`s rumoured to have been approached)? I hate Shitto. Why won`t she go away? She`s freakin 46, do they really think she`ll Chastain?

People on IMDB are evidently reading too much into statistics:

Found out an interesting fun fact: If Riva wins the Oscar, she will be the second actress to win the Best Actress award for a film entirely in the French language. Marion Cotillard was the first. Who won Best Actor that year? Daniel Day-Lewis. Also, if Riva wins the Oscar, she will be the second octogenarian actress to win the award. Jessica Tandy was the first. Who won Best Actor that year? Daniel Day-Lewis. History seems like it could repeat itself.

Edited by riczhang

Riva Interview at The Wrap and I found this part interesting

http://www.thewrap.com/awards/column-post/oscars-oldest-nominee-emmanuelle-riva-amour-its-gift-last-stage-my-life-77236?page=0,2

And how do you feel about coming to the Oscars?I am very calm in the face of all of this. I am 85 years old. I am notgoing to flop about like a fish. What makes me nervous is these hours onthe plane. Frankly, it seems like a hell of a journey to me. It’s solong. But I will do things to the end. I will fall in someone’s arms if Ineed to.

This adventure, this gift, in the last stage of my life -- it’snot easy to measure up -- but it’s the exact moment in my life when Icould do it. Before would have been too early. Later might have been toolate. But it’s a great treasure to participate in this film.

Now I understand why Maggie Smith does not attend the award shows. I didn't realize how long plane traveling hours could be difficult for people their age.