Finnick

Weekend Thread | Estimates: T:R 57.08M, DH2 29.65M, MOTOE 28.68M, ABMC 11.47M, 32.4K PTA for Lady Bird (Deadline, p.46) | The box office is good again!

15 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

The House flopped though. People just really liked the first Daddy's Home. 

That was Ferrell worst wide opening since he became a star in a terrible movie, that still did more than Keanu, Rough Night, etc...

Ferrell had 2 giant 30+m opening has recently has 2015, he is still probably a draw when he play is comedic persona (that is the only thing audience seem to accept him to do too).

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Barnack said:

That was Ferrell worst wide opening since he became a star in a terrible movie, that still did more than Keanu, Rough Night, etc...

Ferrell had 2 giant 30+m opening has recently has 2015, he is still probably a draw when he play is comedic persona (that is the only thing audience seem to accept him to do too).

Doing better then those two films isn't saying a whole lot though. From people I know who actually saw The House, a lot of the film played up Ferrell's "hyper" comedic persona, but dialed it up to the ten. The film even had some "marketing" for what seemed to be a dump job, but looked and was unappealing. Daddy's Home 2 did better because it was a sequel to a film that a lot of people liked. Comedians like Ferrell just need to be careful with their script choices really.

Edited by Fancyarcher

DH2 doing 27+ is very impressive going by expectations (I think 20 was touch and go and sub-25 looked certain). But considering DH1's 38 ow came in Christmas when ows are muted (unless you are Star Wars) and it released when Star Wars released, this is a bigger decrease than it seems. Ow is down 28% and assuming ~3x multiplier (compared to DH1's 3.9x) with 27-28 ow, you get 80-85m dom, down about 45% from DH1.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

Just now, a2knet said:

DH2 doing 27+ is very impressive going by expectations (I think 20 was touch and go and sub-25 looked certain). But considering DH1's 38 ow came in Christmas when ows are muted (unless you are Star Wars) and it released when Star Wars released, this is a bigger hit than it seems. Ow is down 28% and assuming ~3x multiplier (compared to DH1's 3.9x) with 27-28 ow, you get 80-85m dom, down about 45% from DH1.

It is very impressive.

I don't like it though. It has stuck a gigantic stick in the wheel of my winter game this week.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fancyarcher said:

He's usually smart with his film choices too. The House apparently was one of those films that was shot over a year ago, and re-edited heavily, so yeah it was kinda doomed from the get-go, still WB did give it a bit of a push, though it wasn't enough. I think Ferrell will probably stick to "safer fare", from now on. 

I would like to see Ferrell do something more dramatic or maybe star in a tentpole, he's done a few indie films but mostly just comedies. Even Stiller started doing less wacky stuff.

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I would like to see Ferrell do something more dramatic or maybe star in a tentpole, he's done a few indie films but mostly just comedies. Even Stiller started doing less wacky stuff.

Ferrell would probably best served by doing another "dramatic / different indie" with some talented filmmaker. Maybe he could star in the next Bambauch film, or something. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Ferrell would probably best served by doing another "dramatic / different indie" with some talented filmmaker. Maybe he could star in the next Bambauch film, or something. 

Steve Carell has managed to break out of doing just comedies with things like Foxcatcher or The Big Short so I think Ferrell could do something more dramatic, perhaps Adam McKay could cast him in something.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Steve Carell has managed to break out of doing just comedies with things like Foxcatcher or The Big Short so I think Ferrell could do something more dramatic, perhaps Adam McKay could cast him in something.

I think the next time Adam McKay does a more serious film, he should cast Ferrell in a role against type, could do wonders for him. 

Edited by Fancyarcher

Ferrell did try in the pass a little bit, Stranger than Fiction for example, was not bad at all (I think that was is first big dramatic leading role) and received a good critical reception, didn't double it's budget but in that year, strong domestic probably made a little bit of money.

Everything must go, was a bit dramedy/black comedy, but different than is usual clown performance and quite dramatic.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I remember really liking Stranger Than Fiction.

But it seems like Hollywood stopped making experimental films like that for the general audience.

Or maybe I'm outta the loop.

Isn't experimental films for general audiences an oxymoron anyways?

9 hours ago, That One Guy said:

I think this weekend, more than anything, reinforces that Will Ferrell is still a draw, especially to the family crowd.

So there’s hope for Lego Movie 2.

• Like 1

Just now, cannastop said:

Did I miss something? What's wrong with Lego 2?

Ninjago :whosad:(and also the shitty tv spinoff but I doubt it’ll do damage). I’m questioning $200M domestic for Lego 2.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Ninjago :whosad:(and also the shitty tv spinoff but I doubt it’ll do damage). I’m questioning $200M domestic for Lego 2.

Lord & Miller's back to write the script so it evens out.

• Like 1