WrathOfHan

The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Universal/Illumination | April 5, 2023 | Chris Pratt is Mario, Charlie Day is Luigi, Anya Taylor-Joy is Peach | Reviews are in. It's-a bad!

I apologize to that one member I previously discouraged before, I'm not skeptical anymore and I can now support their dreamy box office predictions.

Of course the movie could still be a panned flop for all we know but so far I think it has potential!

Edited by Royce
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Still looks super basic to me, like something I might scroll past on a Netflix menu, but I guess the familiarity of the brand + a serviceable level of script and animation = a hit.

Also I don't think you can really be nostalgic for the character because he's never gone away. The opposite, really. People like me who played him on the NES grew up playing him on many other consoles later on. Definitely different to Sonic in that regard, who hasn't been a videogame powerhouse since the 90s.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Still looks super basic to me, like something I might scroll past on a Netflix menu, but I guess the familiarity of the brand + a serviceable level of script and animation = a hit.

I don't think you can really be nostalgic for the character because he's never gone away. The opposite, really. People like me who played him on the NES almost certainly grew up playing him on many other consoles later on. Definitely different to Sonic in that regard, who hasn't been a videogame powerhouse since the 90s.

yeah, nothing ive seen makes me think this will be a particularily good movie, it looks like secret lives of pets illumination, just with a nice paintjob, and with the rumored 85 min runtime, I doubt theres time for any surprised. People keep talking about how minions almost made a billion, but the trailers for that promised a seriously funny movie and it delivered

• Astonished 1

17 hours ago, Royce said:

After a whole decade of Shreks and Frozens and Game of Thrones and the MCU and The Last Jedi where everything has to be subverted, parodied, self-aware, snarky, sarcastic and cynical.

I feel like you missed the point of The Last Jedi, subverted sure but not really those five.

• Like 2

On 2/10/2023 at 2:41 AM, Hatebox said:

Also I don't think you can really be nostalgic for the character because he's never gone away. The opposite, really. People like me who played him on the NES grew up playing him on many other consoles later on. Definitely different to Sonic in that regard, who hasn't been a videogame powerhouse since the 90s.

The movie is a visual feast with an absurd attention to detail for being a love letter to the franchise from what we’ve seen so far. That alone will stop it from just being mediocre netflix fodder. 

I was in Target today looking for amiibo (I know they still make them, but they don't stock them in physical stores? W/e), and these kids - - brother and sister were so excited to find a Yoshi and Boo plush in the gaming department.

Didn't say anything about the movie but it's easy to get insulated about the buzz online that I forget actual kids still play these games. Thought they all moved on to Fortnite and Roblox.