WrathOfHan

The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Universal/Illumination | April 5, 2023 | Chris Pratt is Mario, Charlie Day is Luigi, Anya Taylor-Joy is Peach | Reviews are in. It's-a bad!

2 hours ago, Eric Claus said:

This might be the funniest film to get hit by #TheDiscourse. Like these chuds are complaining about woke propaganda in a movie for six-year-olds. Go touch some grass you big weirdos lmao

It makes sense to me why are doing it like this considering universal has BIG plans for Nintendo properties. Having Luigi be captured and overcoming the trauma of it is a good emotional core for a luigi's Mansion film

Edited by Reddroast

The trailer views are lower than I would have thought (feels like we may be past the days of massive trailer views on YouTube altogether) but regardless, I think this is going to be massive. As 4 quad as it gets. It's an IP that has stood the test of time and beloved by almost everyone. 

I know Minions: The Rise of Gru was really big and that should be respected, but it would be strange if a Mario movie from Illumination didn't outgross that. This feels like the perfect storm for an animated film!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cooldude97 said:

a little early and detective pikachu has proven that internet hype does not equal box office returns but  i think this will reach $1B (mostly because april is super empty)

But it also might not have the legs of a summer blockbuster. 

Maybe I'm naive but I don't really get why this movie is such a big deal online. It looks super basic, in a way that could neither offend nor excite.

It's not a case of not being a Mario fan either - at the risk of giving away my age I was playing his games when the NES was contemporary. This movie clearly exists because Sonic did well and... I'm not sure there's much else to say about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

4 hours ago, AniNate said:

Video game movies being overhyped on the internet is nothing new. I'm sure this will be pretty big given it is such an iconic property with multigenerational appeal, but I don't see it challenging the DM franchise at the box office.

You're right about video game movies but i feel the big difference here is this is an animated film. It's inherently something that people of all ages aren't taking too seriously like they would an earnest love action adaptation of a game. 

I don't know, I know that's not really a reason but it's just a feeling that I have and I can't quite put it into words.

• Like 1

As beloved as Mario is, I still think there is a stigma against video games among the older generations, and that still makes this less of a four quad thing than something like Despicable Me which doesn't have that baggage, it's just "a cute cartoon" to them.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Maybe I'm naive but I don't really get why this movie is such a big deal online. It looks super basic, in a way that could neither offend nor excite.

It's not a case of not being a Mario fan either - at the risk of giving away my age I was playing his games when the NES was contemporary. This movie clearly exists because Sonic did well and... I'm not sure there's much else to say about it.

Technically, this movie was first announced two years before the Sonic movie was released. As for why people are expecting it to be a big hit, it’s likely a combination of Mario being a beloved icon, as well as the fact that it’s an Illumination movie, a studio that knows how to make money. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Technically, this movie was first announced two years before the Sonic movie was released. As for why people are expecting it to be a big hit, it’s likely a combination of Mario being a beloved icon, as well as the fact that it’s an Illumination movie, a studio that knows how to make money. 

This. It feels like a really potent combo.