WrathOfHan

The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Universal/Illumination | April 5, 2023 | Chris Pratt is Mario, Charlie Day is Luigi, Anya Taylor-Joy is Peach | Reviews are in. It's-a bad!

10 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

The difference is sonic had a notable run of bad games and a toxic fandom long before we saw what sonic was supposed to look like. Mario games are consistently good

To be fair, every fan base has toxic members. But the point I'm making is that the success of the games don't directly translate to the box office. It's going to make a lot, but the ceiling isn't as high as many think.

12 hours ago, Reddroast said:

The difference is sonic had a notable run of bad games and a toxic fandom long before we saw what sonic was supposed to look like. Mario games are consistently good

That, and Sonic and....Paramount isn't the kind of combo I was talking about.

There's more promo for this that comes out in April than Distant that comes out next month lol The way they're integrating the iconic music is probably my favorite thing about all this after Bowser.

Edited by Morieris

As far as the movie itself goes, I don't know if it'll be all that good plot wise, but I love seeing all the callbacks and references to older games. Soundtrack so far is fantastic as well, hearing Bob-omb Battlefield was a nice treat, hoping for some pieces from Galaxy and 3D World to make it as well. Would love to listen to the rest of it as well - hopefully we'll finally get a Mario OST that's easily accessible on streaming services.

Edited by PNF2187
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, PNF2187 said:

As far as the movie itself goes, I don't know if it'll be all that good plot wise, but I love seeing all the callbacks and references to older games. Soundtrack so far is fantastic as well, hearing Bob-omb Battlefield was a nice treat, hoping for some pieces from Galaxy and 3D World to make it as well. Would love to listen to the rest of it as well - hopefully we'll finally get a Mario OST that's easily accessible on streaming services.

I kinda hope they save Galaxy for a sequel. But Peach's line about a "larger universe" could be hinting at some cosmic stuff...

• Like 1

Although I like that it has a section of the calendar all to itself now, I do lament this not releasing tomorrow like it was originally scheduled for. Families would have had a blast with this over Christmas!

I figure Universal is probably so high on it that they feel like it will reach its peak on a date that it has to itself, rather than being something that will find its success as the secondary option over the holidays. Most studios are content with the latter for their films but for Mario, being the undisputed #1 option in theatres might be more valuable than lucrative Christmas holidays.

On 12/21/2022 at 9:21 AM, Verrows said:

Although I like that it has a section of the calendar all to itself now, I do lament this not releasing tomorrow like it was originally scheduled for. Families would have had a blast with this over Christmas!

I figure Universal is probably so high on it that they feel like it will reach its peak on a date that it has to itself, rather than being something that will find its success as the secondary option over the holidays. Most studios are content with the latter for their films but for Mario, being the undisputed #1 option in theatres might be more valuable than lucrative Christmas holidays.

I think Universal will be the top studio before the summer season begins, thanks mainly to this and probably M3GAN.

I already follow theme park pundits so I've seen the Japan version, but it is cool! I feel like this doesn't need as much advertising as other things but A) Universal won't skimp on it, and fair, and B ) there has got to me some killer tie-in merch at these parks I can pay someone to get me.

3 hours ago, Morieris said:

I already follow theme park pundits so I've seen the Japan version, but it is cool! I feel like this doesn't need as much advertising as other things but A) Universal won't skimp on it, and fair, and B ) there has got to me some killer tie-in merch at these parks I can pay someone to get me.

I was thinking about going to check it out this year but then I might have to wait until 2024 as I just did a California trip last year. Always fun to go but it's expensive AF to travel.