WrathOfHan

The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Universal/Illumination | April 5, 2023 | Chris Pratt is Mario, Charlie Day is Luigi, Anya Taylor-Joy is Peach | Reviews are in. It's-a bad!

19 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

This isn't nuts - I'd probably put it Top 5, although I wish it was a summer opener, and not a spring one...

That's why I think it will fall short of a billion. It has no competition until May, but it won't have the legs needed to hit Minions or Despicable Me numbers.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

Visually perfect adapation but too much lame humour and Mario is presented as a bumbling idiot.

You mean to tell me the movie about Mario’s Origin Story starts off with him being incompetent only to grow like hundreds of first stories. That’s impossible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, YM! said:

You mean to tell me the movie about Mario’s Origin Story starts off with him being incompetent only to grow like hundreds of first stories. That’s impossible.

There is a lot of room between bumbling idiot and hyper competent super hero. Presenting the hero as a bumbling idiot is overplayed, lazy and tired.

On 11/29/2022 at 5:06 PM, Eric Claus said:

Still looks good, though the kart stuff at the end, which is obviously the climax, feels a tad forced. Maybe it'll be better implemented in the movie proper, but I dunno.

That Mario kart sequence got the most buzz on social media from what I seen lol  .  I only played Mario kart 64 once and never any of the other kart games but you put Yoshi into a trailer and I’ll go Gaga, super Mario world was the game I grew up on. I’m definitely seeing this in theaters. Love the animation style and all the voice actors except Pratt sound good.

Edited by eddyxx

6 hours ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

There is a lot of room between bumbling idiot and hyper competent super hero. Presenting the hero as a bumbling idiot is overplayed, lazy and tired.

I don't see how he's a bumbling idiot. He's completely out of his element. Obviously there's going to be a struggle.

21 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

I don't see how he's a bumbling idiot. He's completely out of his element. Obviously there's going to be a struggle.

Anyone who goes to a strange new world like the Mushroom Kingdom is obviously going to struggle to adapt, it would be a bit dull if Mario was already fully formed.  

The lots of galaxies line is planting for Rosalina to appear in a future film.

• Like 2