WrathOfHan

The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Universal/Illumination | April 5, 2023 | Chris Pratt is Mario, Charlie Day is Luigi, Anya Taylor-Joy is Peach | The most profitable movie of 2023

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

I mean that’s your opinion, but the gaming community has been wildly receptive of this on the whole. Far more than any other vg movie pre-release. 

I have no strong opinion about this movie but the gaming community would be happy with anything that allows them to go "wow, that looks like the thing I played!" See how they lost their shit at Sonic's first appearence and were then fine when the eyes were corrected.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

8 hours ago, Hatebox said:

I have no strong opinion about this movie but the gaming community would be happy with anything that allows them to go "wow, that looks like the thing I played!" See how they lost their shit at Sonic's first appearence and were then fine when the eyes were corrected.

You need to remember that the sonic fanbase really needed a win at that point. They had so many Ls since 2000

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Gaming community is notorious for being very negative and critical, of vg adaptations in particular (it’s mostly always been warranted tbf). I have 100% never seen so much positive hype in that audience for one of these as I have with this movie. Like tears of joy type of reactions to some of the marketing from your prominent gaming YTers and influencers and journalists and whatnot. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Gaming community is notorious for being very negative and critical, of vg adaptations in particular (it’s mostly always been warranted tbf). I have 100% never seen so much positive hype in that audience for one of these as I have with this movie. Like tears of joy type of reactions to some of the marketing from your prominent gaming YTers and influencers and journalists and whatnot. 

this is the first modern adaptation of a nintendo property though (bayo anime doesnt count), so your point might not really apply as much since its an almost totally different section of the vg community

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

I don't think the gaming community is all that critical of adaptations at all. They usually just get served steaming turds so they don't have much of a choice.

Whenever they got something good (arcane, tlou, even sonic or castlevania) they got praised. But most of the VG adaptations up until very recently could not even clear the "don't be pure shit" bar.

1 hour ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

this is the first modern adaptation of a nintendo property though (bayo anime doesnt count), so your point might not really apply as much since its an almost totally different section of the vg community

BAIT. the first modern nintendo property was pokemon with Detective Pikachu 

2 hours ago, Reddroast said:

BAIT. the first modern nintendo property was pokemon with Detective Pikachu 

lol

totally forgot about that (which says a lot about the movie), but I dont think nintendo had too much of a hand in that one (dont think it popped up in any directs) so it didnt have their blessings in the eyes of fans and its just a weird spin-off of the mainline games to be fair

Edited by interiorgatordecorator