WrathOfHan

The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Universal/Illumination | April 5, 2023 | Chris Pratt is Mario, Charlie Day is Luigi, Anya Taylor-Joy is Peach | The most profitable movie of 2023

That RT score, that’s…not good. I was expecting mid-60s or something. While that may not deter families and big Nintendo fans, we may not see a lot of repeat viewers if audiences receive it the way the critics do.

I'm going to be completely honest. As a moviegoer (or if I was a child, or a parent with children), I couldn't care less what movie critics have to say about an Illumination-produced Super Mario Bros animated movie. If you're trying to gauge how people are going to respond to a movie like this, I think looking to critics is asking the wrong audience lol.

• Like 1

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

Everything I've read so far makes me think audiences will love it. Can't wait for the next month of "critics are out of touch" discourse from manchildren.

This seems exactly like those Disney live action remakes and the GA loves them.

1 minute ago, YM! said:

Randolph is hilarious.

I admit, I actually kinda liked Hop when it came out.  It was finally an Easter movie about the bunny vs all the 100s of religious ones.  No one ever wanted to celebrate the festivity and joy of the holiday, and Hop just hit me in the "finally, some fun for Easter" parts...

Maybe they should hire me to critique movies for 8 year olds...I'd probably know what they like:)...

7 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I admit, I actually kinda liked Hop when it came out.  It was finally an Easter movie about the bunny vs all the 100s of religious ones.  No one ever wanted to celebrate the festivity and joy of the holiday, and Hop just hit me in the "finally, some fun for Easter" parts...

Maybe they should hire me to critique movies for 8 year olds...I'd probably know what they like:)...

I liked Hop because it was a talking bunny movie

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

This is sure as hell not reaching anywhere near a billion anymore. And a Rotten rating is basically a kiss of death in this day and age of a massive gluttony of entertainment options. Just look at Shazam 2.

I agree and disagree here. I do think people are a lot more selective of the films they watch in theaters because of at home streaming, so bad critics score can be a kiss of death. Despicable me 3 came out pre-streaming so I'm not sure if that's a good comp. 

I disagree that a billion is dead though 

2 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

The role of resident over reactor is already filled by our darling @CJohn thank you. 

Well thank you my good sir. Glad to see people know who is in charge of the doom and gloom posts around here.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Everything I've read so far makes me think audiences will love it. Can't wait for the next month of "critics are out of touch" discourse from manchildren.

Ehh, the box office correlation to RT says otherwise. This is very much an exception not the rule situation, bc again I don’t think most of these critics realize the movie feeling like the games is exactly what everyone wants from this.