WrathOfHan

The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Universal/Illumination | April 5, 2023 | Chris Pratt is Mario, Charlie Day is Luigi, Anya Taylor-Joy is Peach | The most profitable movie of 2023

4 minutes ago, Eric is Gay for Bowser said:

I don't know why this tweet got a laugh out of me, but it did.

I think it's the fact that she's this shocked at a theme park commercial not being good

7 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

When you're defending a movie you haven't watched from criticism, maybe it's time to take a step back for a bit.

Maybe I will hate the movie too. I just don’t like the “this movie is an homage and nod to everything in the games, what garbage” narrative of some reviews. Doesn’t sit right with me. 

Edited by MovieMan89

I stand by what I said back in October/November: This movie will be very big with families and fans of the game. And while reviews won't torpedo it, I don't think it'll get it to a billion.

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Maybe I will hate the movie too. I just don’t like the “this movie is an homage and nod to everything in the games, what garbage” narrative of some reviews. Doesn’t sit right with me. 

It´s because when a movie it´s fully made of nods to other projects, maybe the industry should just let people play the original game, not make other thing on top of it and sell like it´s new 

It´s a very common complain and it´s a very reasonable one when you think about where Hollywood is right now with all these sequels, revivals, reboots and adaptations 

I didn´t see this movie specifically to say it´s the same case here, but honestly, it sounds very realistic 

Edited by ThomasNicole

52 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

As others have said, critics dont matter for this movie - like at all, imo. Familys dont care. The Minions movie (first one) was utter trash, yet it was eaten up by audiences. Despicable Me 2 and 3 were ... well, despicable, yet they were eaten up by audiences. It was no secret that The Secret Life of Pets was trash, yet it was eaten up by audiences. And while that movies sequel did underperform, i dont see any scenario where Mario will be held down by these reviews.

As long as its fast paced, has jokes in it and is colorfull, audiences will eat this up. 400M+ DOM is where i see it, easily.

These aren’t the best comparisons because most of those films are fresh and or even certified fresh. Even the rotten ones are still higher than this. 

Anyway, booked tickets for Monday in IMAX and we’re taking one of our nephews, who is 8 and is buzzing to see this. I’m sure he’ll love it. When I was 8 I loved Batman & Robin. Kids don’t care. 

• Like 1

Just now, Last Man Standing said:

From the reviewers I follow (Jahns, Oscar Bros, and Film Drunk) it just seems like an ok kids movie. Not a dumpster fire or some unfairly attacked gem.

That's exactly what it is. It's not a great movie and there's not a surprising amount of depth like PUSS IN BOOTS: THE LAST WISH. It's just a cute, fun kids flick.

• Like 5

I wonder how much of the "critic-audience split" discourse will be fueled by nintendo youtubers having to pretend the movie is great because they already have videos lined up and also because they think that's what will please their audience

Saw this at the Spanish premiere and the film was fine. Story is basic and a lot of jokes didn't land but it has a lot for Nintendo fans and it's pretty colorful and the animation is great. Families will eat it up. Pets is worse than this

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AniNate said:

One thing's for sure: doesn't sound like Chris Pratt casting has been vindicated 

dont think many reviews mentioned him, seems like hes just there, not adding or taking away anything

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

1 minute ago, ScareLol said:

Saw this at the Spanish premiere and the film was fine. Story is basic and a lot of jokes didn't land but it has a lot for Nintendo fans and it's pretty colorful and the animation is great. Families will eat it up. Pets is worse than this

Any cameos worth leaking?

None of the video games movie so far have been great mainly due to inability to construct a solid plot. The best of the bunch is easily Angry Birds 2 tbh and that was because it was a funny and at best was a high 3/5.