WrathOfHan

The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Universal/Illumination | April 5, 2023 | Chris Pratt is Mario, Charlie Day is Luigi, Anya Taylor-Joy is Peach | The most profitable movie of 2023

53 minutes ago, superduperm said:

I’m disappointed to not see a 60-70 on MC or RT too, but I do think people are overreacting a bit. It’s not like these are sub-30%, below Hop (Illumination’s worst film) or below the 1993 film.

The unsatisfying 50/50 of MC/RT mediocrity isn’t going to be enough to kill this movie.

On an optimistic note: this is currently at 56% after 80 reviews on RT. Fresh is still technically in play. Would be hilarious if it got there after the meltdown everyone is having.

It would and it might lol

37 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Dream scenario?

Edgy like Shrek and [slightly] PIB2, fun to watch, lot of references, visually engaging and creative but with a clever script that works in 2 levels for both kids and their parents 

feel like classic disney should have been the blueprint for this

• Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

Can someone explain what a Mario move that is targeted at adults (beyond easter eggs) like Zootopia or Incredibles 2 would look like?

I don’t think it should target adults, I don’t think Zootopia specifically targeted adults either, it was just a quality movie that can be enjoyed by a wide age range. A similar movie in that vein is Wreck It Ralph, whose main character is literally a knockoff of Donkey Kong, who is featured in the Mario movie.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

I don’t think it should target adults, I don’t think Zootopia specifically targeted adults either, it was just a quality movie that can be enjoyed by a wide age range. A similar movie in that vein is Wreck It Ralph, whose main character is literally a knockoff of Donkey Kong, who is featured in the Mario movie.

Oh I can see Wreck It Ralph type humor and story structure working.

I think critics enjoyed Wreck It Ralph. I still quote the first one, lol.

• Like 1

Is there anyone really surprised what sounded like the most obvious "marketing pitch with a movie built around it" (a Super Mario Bros movie from Illumination starring Chris Pratt as the voice of Mario) in a while is hardly a critical darling? Heh.

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Is there anyone really surprised what sounded like the most obvious "marketing pitch with a movie built around it" (a Super Mario Bros movie from Illumination starring Chris Pratt as the voice of Mario) in a while is hardly a critical darling? Heh.

Anot6her Medicore at best Illumination movie that will make a lot of money at the box office.

I think it will make a lot of money, but won't jump start the Video Game genre. You need to do more then make money for that to happen. You have to reach beyond the core audience...and from the reviews this won't do that.

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I mean clearly they are judging by how much talk there's been

27 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Anot6her Medicore at best Illumination movie that will make a lot of money at the box office.

I think it will make a lot of money, but won't jump start the Video Game genre. You need to do more then make money for that to happen. You have to reach beyond the core audience...and from the reviews this won't do that.

Oh if this makes 450 m DOM and 900 m WW every studio will be clamoring for the next Super Mario.