WrathOfHan

The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Universal/Illumination | April 5, 2023 | Chris Pratt is Mario, Charlie Day is Luigi, Anya Taylor-Joy is Peach | The most profitable movie of 2023

39 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

This is phenomenal, Take On Me should have never replaced it.

Take On Me was the most misplaced needle drop in the movie for me. They absolutely should have used a DK soundtrack for that scene. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Morieris said:

If I were a bigger Mario fan, I'd probably like it more, but it was a way to get out of my house for 1hr 40 minutes and I did laugh at basically every Bowser scene.

Incel Bowser was the funniest part. If it were funnier and didn’t use a lot of lame gags, I think it’d be great.

My expectations of C-tier Dreamworks was met. Therefore it’s in the top 5 Illumination movies. Under Grinch, over Minions Gru, a solid 3/5.

17 hours ago, DisposedData said:

Mario RT up from 53 to 56, can you imagine if it squeaks a last minute fresh rating? :Gaga:

There’s really no reason for it to be below the sonic movies critically. Sorry, but there was some kind of weird bias/stigma happening with some critics on this one. Still think it must be that some don’t want a video game movie to feel like a video game movie. They’d rather the sonic situation, where it’s pretty far removed from the games I guess. 

• Like 1

As a fan of the series before the Wii era, I enjoyed all the little easter eggs and visual references. I must say that I had a fat grin on my face each time they playfully transitioned an action scene to the 2.5 dimensional side scroll angle. I do agree the story is paper thin, but it isn't without its charm. The OST is quite good, but the pop songs they chose were WAY OFF. Took me out completely in a couple of scenes.

I can see why this film is on track for a record opening. It's harmless, safe, and cute entertainment for kids with enough references to keep old fans engaged.

Edited by ThePhasmid

7 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

This was made by the Teen Titans Go guys???

It's bizarre. I don't watch the show, but I assumed having them in it, they would think they would have added some cynicism or edge or a sardonic humor to it, but they made the blandest movie you could possibly make from this concept.

7 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

There’s really no reason for it to be below the sonic movies critically. Sorry, but there was some kind of weird bias/stigma happening with some critics on this one. Still think it must be that some don’t want a video game movie to feel like a video game movie. They’d rather the sonic situation, where it’s pretty far removed from the games I guess. 

They aren't amazing, but the Sonic movies have actual character arcs and good voice acting. They have better-written heroes and way more personality than this, which is just a patronizing 90-minute commercial for Nintendo products. But I guess that makes me a stupid moron who has some ultra bias against this poor innocent corporate product designed to sell theme park tickets. Oh well 🙄

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

14 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

If people think video games are replacing superhero movies, get used to that because basically every fandom has people like that. Like the Star Wars fandom stuff but for everything 

lol that didn't take long. These ytbers are the lamest people alive.

6 hours ago, Eric is Gay for Bowser said:

It's bizarre. I don't watch the show, but I assumed having them in it, they would think they would have added some cynicism or edge or a sardonic humor to it, but they made the blandest movie you could possibly make from this concept.

They aren't amazing, but the Sonic movies have actual character arcs and good voice acting. They have better-written heroes and way more personality than this, which is just a patronizing 90-minute commercial for Nintendo products. But I guess that makes me a stupid moron who has some ultra bias against this poor innocent corporate product designed to sell theme park tickets. Oh well 🙄

Not as negative as you are on the Mario movie but yeah I personally strongly agree on the Sonic movie comparisons vs this. Both Sonic movies have issues but they have much tighter scripts with better pacing and character arcs.