DeeCee

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE (and The Star and Wonder) WEEKEND THREAD | PREMIUM ACCOUNT SALE NOW LIVE | Weekend Actuals ~ JL 93.84M, W 27.54M, T:R 21.66M, DH2 14.43M, MOTOE 13.80M, TS 9.81M

2 hours ago, Walt Disney said:

I think this weekend has helped put 2015 into perspective. If you were here back then, you'll recall that Avengers: Age of Ultron was considered disappointing by some people. Avengers: Age of Ultron's domestic adjusted gross is $477,995M. It is the 93rd highest grossing domestic adjusted film of all-time. Justice League isn't even going to be one of the top 200 domestic adjusted films of all-time. That is something that seemed almost impossible, yet here we are.

I think the difference in reception between TA and BVS gives different expectations from their respective sequels. Of course JL's bo is 10 times worse and horseshit, but AOU final dom came in lower than everyone's expectations (almost). The OW imo was perfectly good. 191 down from 208 is great. The 2.40x that time folks were not expecting from TA's sequel. If I remember correctly there were like 2 or 3 members going for sub-500 dom before release.

But again, no comparison with JL. JL's under-performance is all together in a different league.

edit: btw, AOU's 1st week gross was 235.7. so...uhm...uh...there it is...

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

I still don't understand why they would choose Cyborg as a character for the first JL film over The Green Lantern or Martian Manhunter.

Probably wanted at least one minority character amongst the bunch.

31 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

They could have gone with John Stewart.

That would have been ideal, but WB apparently hates the GL franchise (Hal, John, Jessica...etc doesn't matter, WB is weary of them all). 

Edited by El Gato

Feels like 2009 when The Blind Side opened against gigantic New Moon.

I would not be surprised if it increases next weekend (though it will be hard, given Coco will distract family audiences)

For JL, I wish the best of luck. Hopefully not as hard landing as -70% as NM. If it follows NM. That would be painful to see it grossing less than the Avengers's opening weekend.