That One Girl

5-Day Weekend Thread | Saturday #s (Asgard p.109) - Coco 17.7, Justice League 15.7, Wonder 8.3, Thor: Ragnarok 6.4, Daddy's Home 2 5.3

Speaking of Good Time, I know the chances of Pattinson getting in would be slim in any year, but is A24 even trying to do anything at all to get him in? Cause if not that's a shame. I can easily see him pick up a few critics' awards, being like this year's Hardy in Locke or Driver in Paterson or Isaac in Llewyn Davis/A Most Violent Year. I wish they got the bigger awards bodies to notice.

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

From the descriptions of all of this year’s crop of awards films they again all sound horrible. I hope I’m wrong but I have a feeling if I was still a critic I would Scott Mendelssohn the hell out of Lady Bird. It sounds like zzzzz... don’t operate heavy machinery while watching awards films. Best advice IV of adrenaline right to the bloodstream while using LASIK surgery tools to hold open your eye lids ala Clockwork Orange so you don’t nod off during yet another scene about “the human condition” and what it means to “be coming of age,” whatever that fucking means. 

I am keeping my eye out for the first awards film I can read a description of it even and not bang my head into the table as I fall asleep midsentence. “Call Me By Your Name is a beautiful story about a boy who has gay sex with some other guy and that’s pretty much the whole plot and this movie would be boring if it wasn’t for the gay part but did we mention the sex is GAY sex so it’s all progressive and PC and stuff so where are our awards goddamnit?!” 

I think I give up this year. After Manchester and Moonlight last year were the worst movies I’ve ever seen I’m retreating into the past for my critically acclaimed films. Give me Taxi Driver and Apocalyse Now and Clockwork Orange or some old screwball comedies or some film noir or anything really over the SJW crowd PC Police movie slate we get every year. It’s like Groundhog Day if you were forced to relieve a day where you had 16 root canals and got hit by a bus on the way out of the dentist office all while listening to a playlist of Fergie, Kesha, and Taylor Swift’s “greatest hits.” 

You outrage is super edgy, especially since you don't even get what the real actual appeal of Call Me By Your Name is.  

Hint: it isn't GAY sex.  

• Like 12

46 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

idk feels like one of those crazy limited releases that taps out at 25-30mil to me.

I think it’s  taping out at 15-20m it’s gonna

do a little bit better than Carol but not much more. 

4 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

From the descriptions of all of this year’s crop of awards films they again all sound horrible. I hope I’m wrong but I have a feeling if I was still a critic I would Scott Mendelssohn the hell out of Lady Bird. It sounds like zzzzz... don’t operate heavy machinery while watching awards films. Best advice IV of adrenaline right to the bloodstream while using LASIK surgery tools to hold open your eye lids ala Clockwork Orange so you don’t nod off during yet another scene about “the human condition” and what it means to “be coming of age,” whatever that fucking means. 

I am keeping my eye out for the first awards film I can read a description of it even and not bang my head into the table as I fall asleep midsentence. “Call Me By Your Name is a beautiful story about a boy who has gay sex with some other guy and that’s pretty much the whole plot and this movie would be boring if it wasn’t for the gay part but did we mention the sex is GAY sex so it’s all progressive and PC and stuff so where are our awards goddamnit?!” 

I think I give up this year. After Manchester and Moonlight last year were the worst movies I’ve ever seen I’m retreating into the past for my critically acclaimed films. Give me Taxi Driver and Apocalyse Now and Clockwork Orange or some old screwball comedies or some film noir or anything really over the SJW crowd PC Police movie slate we get every year. It’s like Groundhog Day if you were forced to relieve a day where you had 16 root canals and got hit by a bus on the way out of the dentist office all while listening to a playlist of Fergie, Kesha, and Taylor Swift’s “greatest hits.” 

This is really disingenous and not only that, by the same disingenuousness I can point to Titanic and Romeo+Juliet's wins/nominations. Seriously, come on!

• Like 1

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

I hope Pitch Perfect wins it all just for all these banner ads for JonathanLB media I get over every YouTube video.

The simultaneous release of both a new Star Wars movie and a new Pitch Perfect movie must be really tormenting him at the moment.

• Like 2

before i saw the movie i guessed critics were being a little nice to pattinson for good time because i know how much they love to jerk off to that "this actor stunk but now he's a genius!" narrative (like adam sandler's performance in meyerowitz stories is a little overpraised c'mon.) but pattinson legit rules in tht film.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

It's too bad Moonlight's a better movie than Taxi Driver :ph34r:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

I don't know what reputable organization you used to be a critic for, but I presume you're no longer with them because you seem to form your opinions on movies based on descriptions that you read of them, and therefore your opinions have absolutely zero critical value.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

before i saw the movie i guessed critics were being a little nice to pattinson for good time because i know how much they love to jerk off to that "this actor stunk but now he's a genius!" narrative (like adam sandler's performance in meyerowitz stories is a little overpraised c'mon.) but pattinson legit rules in tht film.

Totally. Thought the entire ensemble rocked. He pretty much bored  me in Lost  City of Z though. Thought he was heavy overpraised  there.

Edited by Cmasterclay

5 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

^^This. As much as I love Logan, it's probably a drop in the river at this point in the Oscar conversation. 

I think an Adapted Screenplay nod is its best shot at a nomination given how barren that field is.  Although, I personally think it's good enough to be a major player, being a funny book film will be its death sentence.