That One Girl

5-Day Weekend Thread | Saturday #s (Asgard p.109) - Coco 17.7, Justice League 15.7, Wonder 8.3, Thor: Ragnarok 6.4, Daddy's Home 2 5.3

7 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

It isn’t for me, no. I hate both of those movies. Titanic was great when the boat was sinking and the shitty lust story (sorry LOVE doesn’t happen in 24 hours) finally ended. With Rose basically pushing Jack off a piece of wood so large you could hold a dinner party on it but she outweighed him about 2:1 (not her fault, poor Leo was a twig in that movie at the time). Jack didn’t have to die. Rose just didn’t want to share her large wood. Sorry that came off wrong. I’m sure he had large wood too or whatever, but I mean she was all wet from the... you know fuck it I give up on this description ;)

For awards movies that actually were good, Lion was fantastic, Bridge of Spies was great, and there are always about 20% of them that are legitimately very good movies. It is literally that low. At best 20%. Whereas at most 20% of blockbusters suck. The worse it usually gets is like Mummy which was forgettable and pretty lame but had its moments. It sure didn’t suck as bad as most “awards films” that make your blood boil knowing how much time they just wasted. Do you guys drink while watching these films? Recreational drugs? I’m just trying to find the secret here. Or is it like fast forward through the boring parts and then the resulting movie is only 7 minutes long? :P

every movie especially blockbuster has their unrealistic moment, but that doesn't mean it is illogical or can't be happening. 

As for that piece of wood, space doesn't means the wood will float. The idea of that scene was to illustrate how jack's willingness to scarify his life for rose and how epic was his love ended like the way of titanic sank, not some Survival TV shows.   

Why am i typing so much to a folks who claim Manchester and moonlight are the worst? 

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Hanks was better than any Best Actor nom that year. Rylance was probably only third/fourth best of the supporting guys though. Bridge of Spies does fucking rule though.

Was about to hit that like for being right about hanks' perfect performance but then you were wrong about daddy rylance. A shame.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

No one thinks that. She’s great.

Oh and it’s not “good taste in film” because you like a bunch of wacko Danish Girl awards bait type of movies. I’m sorry but if it’s an issues movie it probably fucking sucks.

If you have real taste in film you appreciate the classics. You understand the difference in craft between a truly great movie like Citizen Kane that’s about someone and about something and perfectly made versus something like Boyhood which is full of shallow characters, stereotypes, and pointless meandering plot threads. You get that in the past what was an issues movie like Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner was ACTUALLY good! You understand the difference between examining the human condition in The Best Years of Our Lives and writing some really shitty dialogue for Crash. No, I’m sorry, but if you consider this trash to be great film then it’s time for a revisit to the classics my friend. They blow away any of this bait from the last 20 years.

How someone could see a truly great modern film like Whiplash and think it’s anything like it even in the same league as The Danish Girl or this kind of thing is mind boggling. There are some great awards films out there but they aren’t trying so hard to be issues films or trying so hard to be “smart.” They’re smart because they’re confident works about something that actually matters. The King’s Speech, there’s a fantastic modern awards film for instance. 

You couldn't find a better movie to support your "cause" than The Danish Girl (which is Oscar bait trash)? lol.

• Like 1

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

I seem to recall Coolio being upset about the Stallone loss at the time :ph34r:

This is true I'm a fanboy for that character but I got over it pretty quick actually looking at those performances I mean cmon.

Since we are talking great best picture nominees, I re-watched The Social Network last night for the first time in a few years and it is probably one of the most well-written movies I've ever seen. Period. Top 10 of all time for me.

Edited by Rorschach

1 minute ago, Rorschach said:

Since we are talking great best picture nominees, I watched The Social Network last night for the first time in a few years and it is probably one of the most well-written movies I've ever seen. Period. Top 10 of all time for me.

Good take

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Panda said:

Lol at Boyhood being Oscar bait.  Linklater's never been an Oscar bait director.

Maybe it wasn't intentional, but it kind of inadvertently feels like one. I mean, the main selling point and the only thing I keep hearing about it is that it took 10(?) years to film. 

1 minute ago, The Panda said:

Lol at Boyhood being Oscar bait.  Linklater's never been an Oscar bait director.

and Boyhood lose big at oscar night....

Tbh, I don't get the love of boyhood and I actually quite hate it, conflict is an essence of drama, but boyhood totally lack of that, but I liked moonlight despite both films share similar narrative...  

1 minute ago, lielixthe said:

Maybe it wasn't intentional, but it kind of inadvertently feels like one. I mean, the main selling point and the only thing I keep hearing about it is that it took 10(?) years to film. 

It definitely seemed like a gimmick movie. But, I won't hold that against it because you could say the same thing about Memento, which is still better than almost any movie ever made.