That One Girl

5-Day Weekend Thread | Saturday #s (Asgard p.109) - Coco 17.7, Justice League 15.7, Wonder 8.3, Thor: Ragnarok 6.4, Daddy's Home 2 5.3

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

I think the 5 nominated are going to be Gary Oldman, Daniel Day Lewis, Timothee Chalemet, TomHanks and the last spot a toss up between James Franco and Jake Gyllenhaal.  

My current lineup is Oldman/DDL/Chalamet/Franco/Hanks with Tremblay in 6th if Wonder really takes off at SAG.

• Like 1

From the descriptions of all of this year’s crop of awards films they again all sound horrible. I hope I’m wrong but I have a feeling if I was still a critic I would Scott Mendelssohn the hell out of Lady Bird. It sounds like zzzzz... don’t operate heavy machinery while watching awards films. Best advice IV of adrenaline right to the bloodstream while using LASIK surgery tools to hold open your eye lids ala Clockwork Orange so you don’t nod off during yet another scene about “the human condition” and what it means to “be coming of age,” whatever that fucking means. 

I am keeping my eye out for the first awards film I can read a description of it even and not bang my head into the table as I fall asleep midsentence. “Call Me By Your Name is a beautiful story about a boy who has gay sex with some other guy and that’s pretty much the whole plot and this movie would be boring if it wasn’t for the gay part but did we mention the sex is GAY sex so it’s all progressive and PC and stuff so where are our awards goddamnit?!” 

I think I give up this year. After Manchester and Moonlight last year were the worst movies I’ve ever seen I’m retreating into the past for my critically acclaimed films. Give me Taxi Driver and Apocalyse Now and Clockwork Orange or some old screwball comedies or some film noir or anything really over the SJW crowd PC Police movie slate we get every year. It’s like Groundhog Day if you were forced to relieve a day where you had 16 root canals and got hit by a bus on the way out of the dentist office all while listening to a playlist of Fergie, Kesha, and Taylor Swift’s “greatest hits.” 

• ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

I don't think Supporting Actor is a lock for Dafoe or Rockwell either. Dafoe is a subtle performance in a movie people might forget, and Rockwell just did not scream winner to me, IDK. Hammer is getting serious notices for CMBYN and I think he might do it. I'm personally rooting for Shannon because I love his work and the possibilities of intoxicated Michael Shannon and live microphone are amazing.

Hammer is very subtle as well. No look-at-me Oscar acting whatsoever. In a more competitive year I dunno if I'd even be predicting him for a nomination, as great as he is. 

• Like 1

Just now, JonathanLB said:

From the descriptions of all of this year’s crop of awards films they again all sound horrible. I hope I’m wrong but I have a feeling if I was still a critic I would Scott Mendelssohn the hell out of Lady Bird. It sounds like zzzzz... don’t operate heavy machinery while watching awards films. Best advice IV of adrenaline right to the bloodstream while using LASIK surgery tools to hold open your eye lids ala Clockwork Orange so you don’t nod off during yet another scene about “the human condition” and what it means to “be coming of age,” whatever that fucking means. 

I am keeping my eye out for the first awards film I can read a description of it even and not bang my head into the table as I fall asleep midsentence. “Call Me By Your Name is a beautiful story about a boy who has gay sex with some other guy and that’s pretty much the whole plot and this movie would be boring if it wasn’t for the gay part but did we mention the sex is GAY sex so it’s all progressive and PC and stuff so where are our awards goddamnit?!” 

I think I give up this year. After Manchester and Moonlight last year were the worst movies I’ve ever seen I’m retreating into the past for my critically acclaimed films. Give me Taxi Driver and Apocalyse Now and Clockwork Orange or some old screwball comedies or some film noir or anything really over the SJW crowd PC Police movie slate we get every year. It’s like Groundhog Day if you were forced to relieve a day where you had 16 root canals and got hit by a bus on the way out of the dentist office all while listening to a playlist of Fergie, Kesha, and Taylor Swift’s “greatest hits.” 

• Like 4

Just now, JonathanLB said:

cap-y-every-time-u-speak-i-wanna-throw-t

• Like 6

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

Hammer is very subtle as well. No look-at-me Oscar acting whatsoever. In a more competitive year I dunno if I'd even be predicting him for a nomination, as great as he is. 

Huh, I haven't seen the movie yet. Reviews seemed to single him out more than Florida Project reviews praised Dafoe (who I liked) but I'm not sure. Maybe they go Rockwell. I thought Woody was better personally. 

There's four movies with two potential contenders so that's making things confusing.

• Like 1

I don't think Supporting Actor is a lock for Dafoe or Rockwell either. Dafoe is a subtle performance in a movie people might forget, and Rockwell just did not scream winner to me, IDK. Hammer is getting serious notices for CMBYN and I think he might do it. I'm personally rooting for Shannon because I love his work and the possibilities of intoxicated Michael Shannon and live microphone are amazing.

The nomination will be Hammer's reward (and I think he's in the top 3 at this point - he's easily gonna ride on Chalamet's coattails). I think Sam Rockwell seems like the most likely place they'll reward Three Billboards. Dafoe isn't going to win if he ends up being his film's only nomination (good chance of happening), and I don't see it happening for Stuhlbarg either (it's been 26 years since double noms happened in this category and I think Hammer's more likely being a co-lead). And I'm doubting either Shannon or Jenkins are happening now, since The Shape of Water feels like it's losing momentum in the race.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Bad increase for Coco, we'll see how Friday goes.

If you calculate bump from true Wed, then the Friday is +70.0% for Coco (18.6/10.94) vs +68.65% for Moana (21.79/12.92).

• Like 2

Huh, I haven't seen the movie yet. Reviews seemed to single him out more than Florida Project reviews praised Dafoe (who I liked) but I'm not sure. Maybe they go Rockwell. I thought Woody was better personally. 

There's four movies with two potential contenders so that's making things confusing.

Harrelson depends on how much AMPAS goes for Three Billboards and any potential precursors. I would love to see him get nominated because he's by far the most sympathetic aspect of the film. Sam Rockwell needs to win though. No exceptions.

• Like 1

Busy was the last time a double nominee happened. I don't think Shape gets one nom there much less two, but I can easily see Stuhlbarg or Woody doubling up depending on which movie they like better and breaking that streak.

5 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I think the 5 nominated are going to be Gary Oldman, Daniel Day Lewis, Timothee Chalemet, TomHanks and the last spot a toss up between James Franco and Jake Gyllenhaal.  

Tom hanks never receive any oscar's nom since cast away in 2001, not really sure voters are still with him since he was missed out with the best picture nominees that he was in(Bridge of Spies/Cap Phi) ....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

what's the point of the supporting actor award when the guy we all know gave the best supporting performance of the year, that asshole drug dealer dude from GOOD TIME, won't even get nominated?

You forgot this

transformer4.2.gif