aabattery

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates - Coco 26.11M, JL 16.58M, Wonder 12.5M, T:R 9.65M, MOTOE 6.7M, LB 4.54M, 3BOEM 4.53M, TDA 1.22M

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

The thing is, dinosaurs are still very much a novelty. We have seemingly a new comic book movie every month since the mid 2000s, but a movie about dinosaurs fighting, Chris Pratt and Mercedes still outgrossed every SH movie ever.

Which makes me a happy dinosaur fan :)

One dinosaur movie that will get knocked out the top 5 by Star Wars in couple years.

Great. :qotd:

I guess I'm stuck with a library of critically acclaimed and wildly successful funny book movies.

- happy Star Wars and superhero fan 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

ROTF barely even got a 2x off of its 5-day opening while Inception got a 4.65x.  I fail to see your point.  Inception was clearly more well received than ROTF.

Avatar had better legs than virtually all blockbusters from the last 20 years.

What's your point?

16 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

But here's the differences between those, junior: 1) those movies had much bigger marketing pushes than the one Coco got, and 2) they were released in the Summer (except Incredibles, which was coming a year after the juggernaut Finding Nemo; while Coco is following... Cars 3; and Incredibles' final total is similar to that of Moana's, another Disney Thanksgiving release, and it will be similar to that of Coco's, when all's said and done), and no time frame is better than Summer to release a family animation.

Furthermore, Coco isn't the culmination of years' worth of buildup within a franchise, and the coming together of some of the most iconic characters ever, is it? And, btw, Coco will outgross Justice League worldwide. Like, that's almost a lock at this point.

"BUT NO, MY CLUB STILL HAS A SHOT AND DISNEY SUUUUUUUUCKS! WAAAAHHHHH TROLOLOLOLOLOOO"

And Coco's budget is estimated in $ 175 - 200M 

JL budget was $ 300M

28 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I'm sorry but Jurassic World was huge for a reason.  People loved it.  People loved seeing dinosaurs fight, they loved seeing Chris Pratt, they loved seeing dinosaurs on motorcycles.  It didn't have a huge opening and great legs for no reason.

Meh, I don’t know if people loved it. I enjoyed it for what it was - big dumb fun. It was pretty damn stupid frankly but I’m always up for some blockbuster fun times. I think most audiences are. And it requires really no prior knowledge of anything just go in, turn your brain off, and that’s that.

Not to suggest there’s any superhero fatigue at all (especially not with me), but I kind of wonder what the next big trend will be. It seems like sometimes it’s disaster movies (I’d argue they’re doing horrible lately with Geostorm, San Andreas, etc. not amounting to much here), other times maybe it’s action / Adventure, etc. 

I wonder if / when there will be a return of the blockbuster comedy or more frequent romantic comedies or if those genres are doomed for small numbers and many of the better comedy examples being on TV or whatever. Theatrical prices seem to lend themselves more to Big Epic Events.

7 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

One dinosaur movie that will get knocked out the top 5 by Star Wars in couple years.

Great. :qotd:

I guess I'm stuck with a library of critically acclaimed and wildly successful funny book movies.

- happy Star Wars and superhero fan 

Even greater for me, since SW is my Number 2 favourite franchise and the vast majority of SH movies are damn great ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I don't think there's a fad that I can't wait to die out more than superhero movies.

Unless it's Gore Verbinski's Gambit.  I hope that makes $1B domestically.

Disney has truly sucked the fun out of everything we loved as kids. 

Superhero movies. 

Their own classics. 

And now even Star Wars. 

Never thought I could feel so indifferent towards a new SW movie. But none of it feels special anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I don't think there's a fad that I can't wait to die out more than superhero movies.

Unless it's Gore Verbinski's Gambit.  I hope that makes $1B domestically.

A fad that's lasted longer than you've been alive.

:thinking:

Does that make you a flash in the pan?

• Haha 1

WONDER
Lionsgate

$3,600,000

+174.3% / $1,044
$79,132,623 / 15

wow!

THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING, MISSOURI
Fox Searchlight

$1,370,000

+286.1% / $958
$10,510,520 / 22

good

LADY BIRD
A24

$1,250,000

+147.5% / $1,047
$13,795,451 / 29

good again!

THE DISASTER ARTIST
A24

$478,000

-- / $25,158
$478,000 / 1

not bad

THE SHAPE OF WATER
Fox Searchlight

$55,468

-- / $27,734
$55,468 / 1

GDT, it's your time

JUSTICE LEAGUE
Warner Bros.

$4,575,000

+142.4% / $1,198
$185,330,921 / 15

Even worse than Deadline forecast. Dead.

20 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

But here's the differences between those, junior ...

It's amazing how the clowns always yapper about the alleged "differences" between the massive production budget DC films and the massive budget Disney/Pixar films. Last week, some dumb soul tried to argue that even though Disney spent as much money on The Lone Ranger as WB did on Justice League, that somehow they weren't 'expecting' it to make as much money and so it didn't matter that it lost a ton of money. As if Disney isn't bound by the same investor constraints, etc. No! JL was WB's "Avengers" so it was supposed to make $600m DOM so that's a lot worse! Laughable. 

Now we have a pup trying to define alleged 'differences' again, and they all add up to a gumbo of useless jabber. Bottom line is OF COURSE when Disney made CoCo they expect it to do massive box office like other Disney/Pixar animated titles, and OF COURSE it should be judged in comparison to other studio's big films like JL and to their own stable of prior animated films. 

CoCo is a typical massive-budget Pixar film. It should be judged by the highest standards of box office success or failure. Period.

So let's compare JL to CoCo straight up, no more yammering about trivial, miniscule daily holds. Let's focus on what matters, the big picture of overall grosses. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Gotta gripe about the ads again. One after every post in the thread and it has slowed the site down dramatically for me. 

That being said, much better Friday for Coco but worse for JL must be par for the course anymore. 

Overall though Cocos increase is still under the statistical average by a good chunk which makes me assume that the weekdays are slightly inflated.