efialtes76

Weekend Thread | Coco 19M, JL 9.4M, Wonder 9.3M, TDA 6.4M, T:R 6.25M, DH2 5.7M, MOTOE 5M (Deadline estimates) | Bunch of Awardsy stuff making money too

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Hopefully there is enough juice for it to hit $100m domestic. I'm really pleased it's done so well. Hopefully Death on the Nile can be just as successful

It'll hit 100m. It's only 7 million away it. Death on The Nile should be successful as well, and have a good cast too. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

Murder and Daddy's Home 2 both making 100m give November a really bright light 6+ 100m grossers and another 75m one in Bad Moms 2. Solid month indeed even if one film didn't quite pull what it could have.

Makes me wonder if December can get close to that number as well.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jay Hollywood said:

You guys obviously weren't around when Bangkok Dangerous was number 1 with like 7m

That was a brutal weekend 

Been around longer than @Christmas baumer, since Jaws. 

5 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Dickie Roberts was the first I remember (2003) it made like $6m lol. BOM boards were dead. 

Nice call. That immediately came to my mind when I saw his post.

September 5-7, 2003
Weekend

space.gif

<<Last Weekend <Last Year View Index: By Year | By Weekend Next Year> Next Weekend>>
TW LW Title (click to view) Studio Weekend Gross % Change Theater Count / Change Average Total Gross Budget* Week #
1 N Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star Par. $6,660,540 - 2,026 - $3,288 $6,660,540 $17 1
2 1 Jeepers Creepers 2 UA $6,562,008 -57.0% 3,124 - $2,101 $27,282,853 $17 2
3 5 Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl BV $5,271,528 -33.9% 2,203 -24 $2,393 $281,831,452 $140 9
4 2 Freaky Friday BV $5,040,247 -45.3% 2,973 -94 $1,695 $97,082,820 $20 5
5 3 S.W.A.T. Sony $4,570,388 -45.2% 2,600 -181 $1,758 $108,784,017 $80 5

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Great start. Now we'll have to see if it'll survive the combo of naturally frontloading + Star Wars and an avalanche of releases in the weeks ahead.

Natural frontloading yes - that Thursday preview number is more than 10% of the whole weekend. Will make next Friday's numbers hard to compare with.

Relieved to see Justice League get over $600m, I think MOS total is now out of the question. That’s a 58% drop internationally. 

Boring weekend. Next weekend will be boring for us non - Star Wars fans. At least it gives me a chance to go and see Wonder and Better Watch Out this week. 

5 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

How is it a boring weekend when we have movies like Shape of Water, Disaster Artist, Three Billboards, Call Me By Your Name, Lady Bird and I, Tonya to track? 

Boring is forcing ourselves to muster enthusiasm for how Justice Flop does. 

Ah I meant boring here because none of those films are out yet, all we had were Jumanji and Molly’s Game previews. 

No need to get your knickers in a twist.

Edited by Krissykins

7 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

How is it a boring weekend when we have movies like Shape of Water, Disaster Artist, Three Billboards, Call Me By Your Name, Lady Bird and I, Tonya to track? 

Boring is forcing ourselves to muster enthusiasm for how Justice Flop does. 

And none of those films are exactly pulling a Paranomal Activity or pointing towards La La Land. So this weekend was pretty boring overall actually. 

We have performers like this every year at this time with these PTA’s. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Relieved to see Justice League get over $600m, I think MOS total is now out of the question. That’s a 58% drop internationally. 

Boring weekend. Next weekend will be boring for us non - Star Wars fans. At least it gives me a chance to go and see Wonder and Better Watch Out this week. 

Nah, we will see whether JL will catch MOS. The drop has a lot to do with China. JL lost a lot of screens there as opposed to last weekend. Discounting China, the drop was very good. 

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Warner Bros is the first studio this year to pass $2 billion domestically.

Deadline: http://deadline.com/2017/12/warner-bros-wonder-woman-justice-league-it-box-office-milestone-2-billion-1202223692/

Despite the problems of Justice League, King Arthur to name but a few Warner Bros has had a great year. IT blew away all expectations as did Wonder Woman but Dunkirk should get mentioned because it was a risk even with Nolan attached but yet still did $500m+ WW for a war film