Eric Prime

Moviepass and its Impact on the Box Office

Moviepass cuts a deal with landmark theaters. This is pretty big. It was a theater chain not previously offered on the platform. E-ticketing will be available for landmark theaters, too.

"MoviePass customers going to Landmark locations will be able to take advantage of added features including e-ticketing, advanced screening reservations and seat selection (generally speaking, MoviePass doesn't allow access to seat reservations)."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/mark-cubans-landmark-theatres-teams-moviepass-1097716

Edited by YLF
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, YLF said:

Moviepass cuts a deal with landmark theaters. This is pretty big. It was a theater chain not previously offered not he platform. E-ticketing will be available for landmark theaters, too.

"MoviePass customers going to Landmark locations will be able to take advantage of added features including e-ticketing, advanced screening reservations and seat selection (generally speaking, MoviePass doesn't allow access to seat reservations)."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/mark-cubans-landmark-theatres-teams-moviepass-1097716

That is awesome 

1 hour ago, YLF said:

Moviepass cuts a deal with landmark theaters. This is pretty big. It was a theater chain not previously offered on the platform. E-ticketing will be available for landmark theaters, too.

Lol, well so much for me saying they don't have bargaining power yet. Hope this lasts through the year since this will be very nice for me for Oscar season. Landmark theaters are pretty much the only ones around here that get indies before they go wide. 

Edited by MovieMan89

Bargaining power can only be judged by what Landmark give them (I mean MP are giving them money, that does not require any bargain), what kind of deal they got, concession bought by their MP client/all audience percentage and how much for example or what kind of reduced by ticket price ?

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Bargaining power can only be judged by what Landmark give them (I mean MP are giving them money, that does not require any bargain), what kind of deal they got, concession bought by their MP client/all audience percentage and how much for example ?

True,  it's not like MP still isn't paying them for each ticket. 

8 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Bargaining power can only be judged by what Landmark give them (I mean MP are giving them money, that does not require any bargain), what kind of deal they got, concession bought by their MP client/all audience percentage and how much for example or what kind of reduced by ticket price ?

Exactly.  If I were a smaller chain I would absolutely integrate with Moviepass and let them divert cash my way until they go bust.  The terms of the deal, as usual, not disclosed

Was thinking about getting this for the summer season since once my semester is over, I plan to make up the theater time I've missed at well the theaters. For those who have it, is it worth it? If not why not? Sorry I'm sure you guys have talked about this in the thread but I'm too lazy to scroll through everything. And I only trust BOT members with this stuff. Thanks in advance! 

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

Was thinking about getting this for the summer season since once my semester is over, I plan to make up the theater time I've missed at well the theaters. For those who have it, is it worth it? If not why not? Sorry I'm sure you guys have talked about this in the thread but I'm too lazy to scroll through everything. And I only trust BOT members with this stuff. Thanks in advance! 

Yes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Nova said:

Absolutely.  Even if you only go to 2 movies a month you're saving a ton of money, and seeing more movies!  Do you like going alone though?  That's been a problem for some, finding a buddy to go with that also has MP.  I have one friend that has it so it works really well for me.  I will also go alone, if necessary.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChrisTelclear said:

Absolutely.  Even if you only go to 2 movies a month you're saving a ton of money, and seeing more movies!  Do you like going alone though?  That's been a problem for some, finding a buddy to go with that also has MP.  I have one friend that has it so it works really well for me.  I will also go alone, if necessary.

If I get it, I'll be getting one for my fiancé as well. So it's another reason why I asked lol I don't wanna shell out almost $200 on this thing and it be a mess. But I don't know if she'll catch every movie with me because of our schedules. I don't mind going alone to a theater if I really wanna watch something though 

1 hour ago, Nova said:

If I get it, I'll be getting one for my fiancé as well. So it's another reason why I asked lol I don't wanna shell out almost $200 on this thing and it be a mess. But I don't know if she'll catch every movie with me because of our schedules. I don't mind going alone to a theater if I really wanna watch something though 

Why not do the month to month and see?    I was on that and cancelled when they stopped working with my theater.  I got Sinemia after that which works better for me and my wife since it gives a pair of tickets, prebooking, and can use it for Dolby/Imax. But then again it's only 2 movies a month (plenty for us) so moviepass definitely better if you're talking about seeing 10 movies a month or something (though opening weekends for the big ones tough without presales)

7 hours ago, YLF said:

Amazing!

now they just need to add Boston AMC back. 

32 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

Why not do the month to month and see?    I was on that and cancelled when they stopped working with my theater.  I got Sinemia after that which works better for me and my wife since it gives a pair of tickets, prebooking, and can use it for Dolby/Imax. But then again it's only 2 movies a month (plenty for us) so moviepass definitely better if you're talking about seeing 10 movies a month or something (though opening weekends for the big ones tough without presales)

Because they got rid of the month to month. Now you have to pay the yearly price up front. At least that's what was advertised on their website when I checked today. Unless they have another plan but aren't advertising it. 

I mean a matinee around me is almost $10. Evening tickets are $15-18 depending on the theater. I was going to use it to see a bunch of films over the summer. I was just wondering about the logistics of it. Like is it a pita to use and stuff but from what I've heard from BOT members, it's solid so I'm game. 

Edited by Nova

13 minutes ago, Nova said:

Because they got rid of the month to month. Now you have to pay the yearly price up front. At least that's what was advertised on their website when I checked today. Unless they have another plan but aren't advertising it.

SMDH.

2 minutes ago, YLF said:

I heard if you want to do the month-to-month plan the only way to get that option is to purchase your subscription via the movie pass app. My friend did that.

Looks like it, according to that tweet above.

FTR when I try to reach a monthly signup page on the web, it auto-redirects to this "special offer".

Edited by Porthos