Eric the Fall Guy

Moviepass and its Impact on the Box Office

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

So according to @Blankments, MoviePass has quietly started a "no rewatch" policy.

As I check Twitter, folks are noticing:

This I think more than anything is a TREMENDOUSLY bad move.  Raising prices is one thing.  Instituting a 4-per-month for new users, even another.  But ripping the rug out of folks expecting one thing and then getting another is...

Well, gonna lead to a lot of bad bad press as people find out.  And this is the type of bad press that can stick.

They really have no clue how to run a business do they

• Like 2

So according to @Blankments, MoviePass has quietly started a "no rewatch" policy.

As I check Twitter, folks are noticing:

This I think more than anything is a TREMENDOUSLY bad move.  Raising prices is one thing.  Instituting a 4-per-month for new users, even another.  But ripping the rug out of folks expecting one thing and then getting another is...

Well, gonna lead to a lot of bad bad press as people find out.  And this is the type of bad press that can stick.

Im confused about this. So, you can't see the same movie in one week... or you only can see the movie ONCE EVER?!

They should at least have limited the rewatches instead of saying you can only watch it once. Thats dumb.

I mean there are people that freaking watch a movie 20 times, so it makes sense. they should make the limit like 5 or something. Which is reasonable for the same film.

1 minute ago, YLF said:

Im confused about this. So, you can't see the same movie in one week... or you only can see the movie ONCE EVER?!

They should at least have limited the rewatches instead of saying you can only watch it once. Thats dumb.

I mean there are people that freaking watch a movie 20 times, so it makes sense. they should make the limit like 5 or something. Which is reasonable for the same film.

No idea, I don't have access to MoviePass's TOS.  Just going by random comments.  I think we'll find out soon enough as word filters out/the press hears about this.

Unless a member here who has MP wants to chime in with info about the new TOS.

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

No idea, I don't have access to MoviePass's TOS.  Just going by random comments.  I think we'll find out soon enough as word filters out/the press hears about this.

Unless a member here who has MP wants to chime in with info about the new TOS.

It's telling me I am not permitted to see the same movie more than once in theaters.

• Like 1

Look at section 2.3... its once per movie. Not even just once a week for the same movie. They should limit it. but not make it one. I think people could live with that more. You can't go from infinite to fucking one LMAO. like, wtf?

6zyb6r.png 

Edited by YLF

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

They even capitalized it all to make it stand out to make sure folks would see it.

Oh, MoviePass. :sadno:

I just opened my app, and a screen popped up going "Once! You can only see it once!" (Well, I may be paraphrasing their legal-ez)

• Haha 1

They even capitalized it all to make it stand out to make sure folks would see it.

Oh, MoviePass. :sadno:

Yeah, but if I wasn't on this forum I would not have known, though. When you open up the app theres no mention of it. You literally have to be checking the TOS. There should be a warning on it so people don't get banned

and this effects how many people using MP?  maybe .01%.  I know people who go and they let others use it to go.. it takes that away. it probably should have been that way all along.. It has zero effect on any of my friends , you can count on one hand how many times i have seen a movie more than once in a theatre and not once since i had the pass.

2 minutes ago, upprdeck said:

and this effects how many people using MP?  maybe .01%.  I know people who go and they let others use it to go.. it takes that away. it probably should have been that way all along.. It has zero effect on any of my friends , you can count on one hand how many times i have seen a movie more than once in a theatre and not once since i had the pass.

if it doesn't effect anyone then it won't save MoviePass any money and they wouldn't do it.  It most certainly effects them and therefore their users

• Like 1

Seems to me, if they treated Moviepass more as free movie passes put out by theaters (where it excludes new releases) they could at least argue that these aren't seats the theaters showing 2/3+ week old movies are selling on their own, so it's an incentive to get more people in and buy concessions. Then with moviepass you put out special deals on concession items, enticing the customers to bring in these coupons to buy large popcorn, or what not.

Now I admit I don't know much about the business of running theaters, but this seems a far better strategy than Moviepass acting all big to theaters claiming they bring in so much business, then severely limiting the amount the customer can actually go to the theater.

Edited by RandomCat

5 minutes ago, RandomCat said:

Seems to me, if they treated Moviepass more as free movie passes put out by theaters (where it excludes new releases) they could at least argue that these aren't seats the theaters showing 2/3+ week old movies are selling on their own, so it's an incentive to get more people in and buy concessions. Then with moviepass you put out special deals on concession items, enticing the customers to bring in these coupons to buy large popcorn, or what not.

Now I admit I don't know much about the business of running theaters, but this seems a far better strategy than Moviepass acting all big to theaters claiming they bring in so much business, then severely limiting the amount the customer can actually go to the theater.

I've called this a scam - here's why.  If you read the filings the management has laid out excessive bonuses for themselves in addition to their pay which is high.  The CEO's bonus is triggered at various levels by the company reaching particular market cap milestones.  Since market cap is the number of shares that exist times the price it increases both ways - ie a billion shares of a $1 stock has same cap as 10 million shares of a $100 stock.  So these guys are all about the hype cycle - talking about how they are revolutionizing the business, how many users they have, etc.  They use this to sell a TON of shares.  When this company goes bankrupt the CEO, etc don't care as they walk away with a ton of money regardless (10s of millions at least).  It is most important to them to sell the hype/story than to try and create a viable business and everything they do is from that vantage point.  This CEO has done it many times before with his online palm reading site, etc