Eric Furiosa

Moviepass and its Impact on the Box Office

1 hour ago, Nova said:

Because they got rid of the month to month. Now you have to pay the yearly price up front. At least that's what was advertised on their website when I checked today. Unless they have another plan but aren't advertising it. 

I mean a matinee around me is almost $10. Evening tickets are $15-18 depending on the theater. I was going to use it to see a bunch of films over the summer. I was just wondering about the logistics of it. Like is it a pita to use and stuff but from what I've heard from BOT members, it's solid so I'm game. 

Absurd...they are playing games to try and make enough money to stay afloat. They've been selling tons of stock but now the stock price has crashed down to $3 so they have to sell a ton to get any money...this seems desperation to me so I wouldn't touch a full year upfront. Just my opinion

3 hours ago, YLF said:

It sucks. I wish I lived next to a landmark or any e-ticketing theater. I doubt I ever will get that luxury since im only near big chain theaters and 1 laemmle.

Lammle are decent theaters. Good for watching independent movies. 

7 hours ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

Lammle are decent theaters. Good for watching independent movies. 

I'm hoping they add Angelika and some of the other independents soon. That would be another way to build up slowly, work with smaller chains and show how you can move audiences to those theaters.  At some point, if you don't go belly up first, you get to the stage where one of the big chains will talk to you, then you can start making some money.

I'm going to ride the wave until it crashes on shore.  If I can get a year out of them I'll have made a good investment.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nova said:

Like is it a pita to use and stuff but from what I've heard from BOT members, it's solid so I'm game. 

I don't know if anyone has answered, but it's easy to use.  Basically it's an inactivated debit card.  You use the app to authorize the purchase, and they activate your card for 30 mins.  Then you go to a kiosk and just use it like a credit card to pay for your ticket.  

As for some of the workarounds, like using it to buy 3D tickets or IMAX and whatnot, just be careful.  That transaction will require you going to a human ticketing agent, (who may give you a hard time, especially if it's AMC) to pay the difference.  You should use cash to pay the delta, don't try to do a double transaction payment with another card. I think there's a way for them to tell you did that, at least that's what I've heard. 

A work around for blocked showings, like they did with Red Sparrow, is you can just select another movie that starts at roughly the same time, but when you go to the kiosk just select the movie you wanted and swipe.  It has no idea what ticket you're buying.  They have started a thing where they want you to submit a picture of your ticket stub to ensure you're not cheating, but they are notifying people by e-mail if they are selected to do that, it's a test right now.

There's also a chat feature that you can use if the showing you want isn't listed. They authorize the purchase manually.  I've heard some people actually used that to buy Red Sparrow tickets, even though they were blocked on the app, if true I guess they don't do much analysis they just assume it's ok and activate.

Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Rumpot said:

Absurd...they are playing games to try and make enough money to stay afloat. They've been selling tons of stock but now the stock price has crashed down to $3 so they have to sell a ton to get any money...this seems desperation to me so I wouldn't touch a full year upfront. Just my opinion

It's why I was cautious to get it. Don't wanna sign up for it and then it get cancelled. I'll probably wait for the month to month thing to come back before signing up. I can only really attend movies during the summer months. Otherwise I might catch a movie or two during the other seasons in which I'm willing to just pay for the ticket up front 

Don't try to work around their rules. They're terminating subscriptions without warning to set an example. Just use it for normal 2D showings like you're supposed to; it's still a damn good deal. 

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Don't try to work around their rules. They're terminating subscriptions without warning to set an example. Just use it for normal 2D showings like you're supposed to; it's still a damn good deal. 

I hate 3D and don't really waste money on IMAX so I'm good with just 2D. 

Im definitely gonna get it. Just deciding if I want to do the whole year or wait for them to go back to the monthly plan. 

2 hours ago, Nova said:

I hate 3D and don't really waste money on IMAX so I'm good with just 2D. 

Im definitely gonna get it. Just deciding if I want to do the whole year or wait for them to go back to the monthly plan. 

I concur, stick to the rules, I do.  Just wanted to share what I knew so if you're tempted to try something you understand how it might be discovered by MP.

I got a monthly subscription, so I'm safe there, but I do understand some of the concerns raised, because when they go under they could leave everyone stranded, you'll never get that money back.

• Thanks 1

I tried to sign up for Movie Pass around Christmas, when Costo was running a discounted special. But it was just impossible to jump through their hoops to 'activate' the account, i  was stalled online, their web sites were crashing or something, and it found it impossible to speak to a live human about anything.

So i canceled the credit card transaction (charging my card was seemingly the only aspect of their web system that was working promptly, LOL) and haven't looked back. Too bad, because I see 100+ movies a year so it would probably help. 

Edited by SteveJaros

The yearly subscription makes far more sense how they could actually turn a profit with such a low monthly price. I had told several friends about it who I think were planning to get it just for the summer blockbusters and then cancel. Wouldn't have been surprised if a lot of people had done that, in which case I don't know how they could have possibly sustained that. I'm sure it's not a coincidence they stopped the monthly subscription a month before summer season. 

Edited by MovieMan89

10 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The yearly subscription makes far more sense how they could actually turn a profit with such a low monthly price. I had told several friends about it who I think were planning to get it just for the summer blockbusters and then cancel. Wouldn't have been surprised if a lot of people had done that, in which case I don't know how they could have possibly sustained that. I'm sure it's not a coincidence they stopped the monthly subscription a month before summer season. 

What I have noticed based on the movie pass sub on reddit is that they seem way stricter with the annual subscription services. You better make sure you're not doing any split transactions, paying partially for premium showings, and actually going to the movies.(I don't do any of this but a friend of mine has had movie pass since last summer and does this all the time and hasn't been terminated) All the people that I have seen get removed because of TOS violations have been all people that signed up for yearly plans. It seems the strategy is get all the money upfront knowing newbies will make a mistakes(sometimes split transactions are innocent like you and your friend both paying with debit cards) and terminate them fairly quickly.

Edited by YLF

Just now, YLF said:

What I have noticed based on the movie pass sub on reddit is that they seem way stricter with the monthly subscription services. You better make sure you're not doing any split transactions, paying partially for premium showings, and actually going to the movies.(I don't do any of this but a friend of mine has had movie pass since last summer and does this all the time and hasn't been terminated) All the people that I have seen get removed because of TOS violations have been all people that signed up for yearly plans. It seems the strategy is get al the money upfront knowing newbies will make a mistake(sometimes split transactions are innocent like you and your friend both paying with debit cards) and terminate them fairly quickly.

I've had the split transaction thing happen twice. Ended up paying for a friend's ticket entirely without knowing that would happen cause it was discount Tuesday so the money MP put on my card for a normal ticket was enough for both tickets that day, and they swiped my MP first. So far, so good though. No yearly plan though. 

The yearly sub totally would pay for itself for just the summer.

MoviePass is a $89.95 yearly sub.

My theater's Adult tickets are $9.50 matinees / $11.95 evenings.  (The national average is $8.95 with markets like NY and LA being some of the highest.)

89.95 / 11.95 = 7.5

89.95 / 8.95 = 10

(Depending on where you live) 7 to 10 movies this summer, it plays for itself without worrying about wasting the rest of the year.

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

There's a super easy way around the no 3d screenings thing that's impossible to get caught, but I feel kinda sleazy doing it so I've only done it once so far...

tell me how please