Eric the IF

Moviepass and its Impact on the Box Office

2 hours ago, YLF said:

How does it work for premium showings? Like Imax, dolby, or 4dx. Do the people that have a subscription get a discount on those tickets or is that included in the subscription?

Yeah so you get all standard tickets for free (including double bills / marathons etc), but other formats you have to pay a surcharge. I think you just pay the difference between a standard ticket and a IMAX ticket - it's £4.50 or something for an IMAX ticket. Same for 4DX etc.

Edited by Trease is the Word

2 minutes ago, Trease is the Word said:

Yeah so you get all standard tickets for free (including double bills / marathons etc), but other formats you have to pay a surcharge. I think you just pay the difference between a standard ticket and a IMAX ticket - it's £4.50 or something for an IMAX ticket. Same for 3DX etc.

Thats amazing, please hurry up and take over regal cine-whatever it is lol. I wonder if they have plans for expansion? regal doesn't have that many theaters in LA at least. AMC has the most by far. 

47 minutes ago, YLF said:

Thats amazing, please hurry up and take over regal cine-whatever it is lol. I wonder if they have plans for expansion? regal doesn't have that many theaters in LA at least. AMC has the most by far. 

Quote from an exec in an article I found about the merger:

"Regal is a great business and provides Cineworld with the optimal platform on which we can continue our growth strategy."

They continue to build new cinemas in the UK. I guess maybe they'll do the same in US?

On 4/19/2018 at 11:00 AM, Rumpot said:

Moviepass sold shares again at a huge discount with warrants (buy one get one free). The stock tanked 45% and the day is young. Even if it closes they will only be able to get $30M heading into infinity war/summer and all the money from those yearlong subs is now even worse because it's all gone they aren't even getting monthly $8 from them.  They are done.  My guess is they will immediately make it so you can only see 4 movies a month or some other limitation.  But yeah..this fiasco is about finished

Yep. Done

7 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Unlimited Movies likely not coming back according to Mitch

RIP MoviePass

They are too late.  But Mitch, Ted, other management of this company will walk away from the flames with huge sums of money

I mean, I have no doubt this will end at some point, but why would the CEO of the company say it will end soon? He needs to get all the people he can to sign up to the more limited plan, so there is a good amount of people that sign up under that plan. Furthermore, I'm sure there is some deal with iheartradio where if they sign up via moviepass they get compensated in some way. It would make no sense to let people know this is a temporary promotion.

Im glad this doesn't affect moviepass users that signed up under the original plan. Because according to TOS they could change it at anytime. Thats a good sign.

Edited by YLF

1 minute ago, YLF said:

I mean, I have no doubt this will end at some point, but why would the CEO of the company say it will end soon? He needs to get all the people he can to sign up to the more limited plan, so there is a good amount of people that sign up under that plan. Furthermore, I'm sure there is some deal with iheartradio where if they sign up via moviepass they get compensated in some way. It would make no sense to let people know this is a temporary promotion.

Im glad this doesn't affect moviepass users that signed up under the original plan. Because according to TOS they could change it at anytime. Thats a good sign.

Perhaps the idea is to get people worried that it'll be gone, so those who haven't signed up can buy a month and exploit it before it dies? Thus increasing subs.

Kinda delusional, but somewhat logical?

8 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

Perhaps the idea is to get people worried that it'll be gone, so those who haven't signed up can buy a month and exploit it before it dies? Thus increasing subs.

Kinda delusional, but somewhat logical?

LMAO maybe, idk. I heard AMC is working on their version of moviepass and regal was purchased by cineworld. So I hope there is a replacement in the somewhat near future. I can't go back to paying $15+ each ticket to see a movie lol

1 hour ago, YLF said:

. So I hope there is a replacement in the somewhat near future. I can't go back to paying $15+ each ticket to see a movie lol

And that was the main fear I think, why some theater chain didn't like it even if it was good for them in the short time...... build a bunch of people now used to watch movies in theater for almost free.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Barnack said:

And that was the main fear I think, why some theater chain didn't like it even if it was good for them in the short time...... build a bunch of people now used to watch movies in theater for almost free.

I know they were right. The comments on the reddit moviepass account confirm that, too. People say they just wouldn't go, or just repeat the patterns that they used to do. By only going to 2 movies a year.

It’s still unclear, but it appears that anyone who signed up with the $9.95 price of one movie per day will be grandfathered in and won’t be affected by this change in policy. Plus, MoviePass says dropping its offerings to four movies per month will only affect 12% of its users – 88% of MoviePass subscribers reportedly see fewer than two movies per month.

That's quite the interesting statistic.

Of course, I do wonder the volume of tickets purchased by the twelve percent that do buy two or more per month.

Edited by Porthos

37 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Plus, MoviePass says dropping its offerings to four movies per month will only affect 12% of its users – 88% of MoviePass subscribers reportedly see fewer than two movies per month.

Not too surprising according to this (if I understand they're coded wording too sound the most impressive they can correctly):

t4qlwo3v1pt01.jpg

MoviePass users in average the last 6 month watched only 6 more movies than the average moviegoers, so about 1.4 movie a month for MP users versus the 0.3/0.4 for non subscriber.

• Like 1

So according to @Blankments, MoviePass has quietly started a "no rewatch" policy.

As I check Twitter, folks are noticing:

This I think more than anything is a TREMENDOUSLY bad move.  Raising prices is one thing.  Instituting a 4-per-month for new users, even another.  But ripping the rug out of folks expecting one thing and then getting another is...

Well, gonna lead to a lot of bad bad press as people find out.  And this is the type of bad press that can stick.