grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

I thought about taking my dad to see it sometime this weekend, but he'd definitely be bored to tears based on that audience score and what I've heard :hahaha: 

I remember checking my watch at one point during the movie.  I was thinking "with where this is right now, there's probably only like 30 or 40 minutes left, right?"

Nope.  An hour and five minutes were left.  I sunk into my chair.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

PP3 is really lucky to be opening to that and be in the holiday season, imo. Could have taken a really nasty fall with the reception, but will do 110+ now. 

I feel like they put it in the holidays because they knew a harsh drop was incoming and wanted to soften it as much as possible.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I remember checking my watch at one point during the movie.  I was thinking "with where this is right now, there's probably only like 30 or 40 minutes left, right?"

Nope.  An hour and five minutes were left.  I sunk into my chair.

I neeeeeeever check the time in theaters even if I'm bored to tears. If I feel the same way when I see it, I guess I'll be braced :hahaha: 

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

Presuming this at all accurate, incredibly happy to be proven wrong on the Friday bump. RebWGyw.pngRebWGyw.pngRebWGyw.png

(@lancelot123)

====

elOQTzi.png

Hide contents

I have no idea if it is or not.  Probably isn't.  But I felt like posting it anyway. :P

Just wait for the +30% Saturday! 😛

I am one with over avatar and over avatar is one with me. 😂

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, narniadis said:

But y'all have to remember that Lone Ranger had been in and out of development at Disney for a decade - it wasn't something that just "happened" and, due to the Ross era budget concerns it was cancelled at least once after both Depp and Verbinsky had signed on because Disney didn't like the budget (guess who won in the end.)

Lone Ranger to me will always stick out as the last of the Dick Cook era films to actually make it the screen, although long after both he and Ross had vacated the seat of power.

Disney wouldn't know how Lone Ranger would turn out. It was Jerry+Gore+Depp again after POTC3. Ted Elliot has a solid resume. Anyone would have greenlit it imo. Disney also had a relationship with Depp. POTC4 and Alice both did 1b+ ww in 2010/2011.

Edited by a2knet

10 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

PP3 is really lucky to be opening to that and be in the holiday season, imo. Could have taken a really nasty fall with the reception, but should do 120+ now. 

thanks for giving me the opportunity to plug shamelessly :P

---club closes when sat number comes out (which will also give the 3-day estimate)---

13 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Disney wouldn't know how Lone Ranger would turn out any way. It was Jerry+Gore+Depp again after POTC. Ted Elliot has a solid resume. Anyone would have greenlit it imo.

Yes and they did lol - but not until they found a combo they were comfortable with (as with most studio decisions, I presume.) The oddity will always be the canceling it with budget issues only to have the final budget be over the disputed amount in the end and still being a big disaster financially speaking.

1 minute ago, LonePirate said:

After PP2 opened to $69M, that opening for PP3 is a disappointment. Granted, it will perform very well during the next 11 days but it is not coming anywhere close to PP2's $184M.

Pitch Perfect 2 rode a wave of hype though. What made this special (a problem a ton of sequels have been facing)?

2 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

After PP2 opened to $69M, that opening for PP3 is a disappointment. Granted, it will perform very well during the next 11 days but it is not coming anywhere close to PP2's $184M.

Meh, PP3 is paying for the sins of PP2 - very much like Hangover 3 did. Ultimately not that surprising.

• Like 1

@a2knet not arguing that they shouldn't have greenlit the movie - on paper it all sounded good. The question ultimately should have been - should we. Lone Ranger was one IP that just wasn't ready to come back into the mainstream at least not with a 200m+ budget.  And this comes from someone who loves the film and would have loved to have gotten a sequel.

Back then no one could have predicted that Depp would tank so badly as a leading man or that the film would run into many other issues not the least of which was a crazy summer with bigger hits that ultimately just overshadowed it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Why aren't more people mentioning The Post?  It's doing fucking insane.

edit: oh whoops i misread the 4-day as its 3-day number but regardless it's still doing well

It's still a crazy good # for the number of theaters it is in.

6 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Yes and they did lol - but not until they found a combo they were comfortable with (as with most studio decisions, I presume.) The oddity will always be the canceling it with budget issues only to have the final budget be over the disputed amount in the end and still being a big disaster financially speaking.

As someone who was vaguely following The Lone Ranger's production around 2010. I do remember reading a lot of old articles mentioning Disney's concern with the budget ballooning / what they wanted was too big. Apparently it was listed as the main reason why Disney was so reluctant to greenlit the film in the first place, which of course makes sense. The producers still won out in the end, even if it backfired badly. 

• Like 1