grim22

New Year's Day Weekend Thread: Late Friday estimates (DHD) - TLJ 19.5M, Jumanji 17.5M, PP3 6.7M, TGS 5.3M

3 minutes ago, scabab said:

Nope according to BOM it only made $13.1 million on Monday.

$530 million total.

It got updated from the usual sources (Forbes/Gitesh)...BOM will update it in the next 30 minutes or so.

Edit: Got already updated. Look again on BOM.

Edited by Brainbug

Im ready for those 2017 what went wrong threads! Studios thought Blade Runner 2049 was going to make big numbers. It didn’t and it killed movie theaters. People thought originally Rough Night, Baywatch, Alien: Covenant were going  to be very profitable.

But that didn’t happen. Studios got lazy, I don’t blame pirating or Netflix. I blame scheduling, January had Hidden Figures, and Split. February had Lego Batman, John Wick 2, Fifty Shades Darker, and briefly Get Out. March had Logan, Get Out, Beauty & The Beast, Kong: Skull Island, and briefly Boss Baby. April had 2 holdovers Beauty & The Beast, Boss Baby, and Fate Of The Furious. May only had Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 and somewhat Pirates 5. June had Wonder Woman, unless you wanna the three days of Baby Driver or one day of Despicable Me 3. July has Spider Man Homecoming, Dunkirk, DM3, Baby Driver. and Girls Trip. August had Annabelle 2 and Hitmans Bodyguard. September relied on IT. October only had Happy Death Day. November had Thor 3, Coco, Daddy’s Home 2, Wonder, and Murder On The Orient Express. December had Last Jedi, Jumanji, and many others we”ll see hold up in january.

Studios also had more modest budget films dominate the year with overall 25 films making some dough.

But there were a total of 14 films that had a larger budget that bombed. And the third movie trend had shown franchises were dying down like Cars 3 felt unnecessary, and Apes 3 was too dark for moviegoers as it was the same fate as Star Trek: Beyond. With dipping from its predecessor.

Also Paramount, needs to make a game plan for 2018 after having multiple flops in 2017 and one hit. They need to make sure Anihilation or A Quiet Place can hang  up against the big boys. Or else Paramount may end up like the Chuck Pagano of film studios. 

Edited by Maxmoser3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

I thought that record was just for weekend not dailies? Anyways, it should win next weekend.

hmm...i thought it was for dailies too. but yes it should win next weekend so the point would be moot anyways.

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

hmm...i thought it was for dailies too. but yes it should win next weekend so the point would be moot anyways.

It's just weekends perusing MBFGW's run. Had about 10 days at #1. 

Sing got 0 though, so it really is the true record holder of that title. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

Just now, a2knet said:

Its for weekends. IO was in the discussion to get the record despite it winning some dailys against JW. Anyway, theres a very small chance that TLJ stabilizies and Jumanji doesnt overtake it. Mind you, a very small chance, but it exists.

5 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Im ready for those 2017 what went wrong threads! Studios thought Blade Runner 2049 was going to make big numbers. It didn’t and it killed movie theaters. People thought originally Rough Night, Baywatch, Alien: Covenant were going  to be very profitable.

But that didn’t happen. Studios got lazy, I don’t blame pirating or Netflix. I blame scheduling, January had Hidden Figures, and Split. February had Lego Batman, John Wick 2, Fifty Shades Darker, and briefly Get Out. March had Logan, Get Out, Beauty & The Beast, Kong: Skull Island, and briefly Boss Baby. April had 2 holdovers Beauty & The Beast, Boss Baby, and Fate Of The Furious. May only had Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 and somewhat Pirates 5 

Maybe the target audience also didn't want a movie too long and too serious (BR 2049/Apes 3), were stung by bad reviews for the prequels (Alien/Justice League), or the movie strayed too far from the source material (Baywatch/TLJ(?)).

• Like 1

So glad for Jumanji's run. Gives us something fun to discuss. TLJ has become Ultron Part 2. A gargantuan bore. Can't wait to move on. Hopefully Lucas Fill does what they do best straight up puts the kibosh on RJ's trilogy too. That has bomb written upwards and sideways on it. Maybe he can direct a few episodes of Fargo or Mindhunter? Get his lame voice off the big screen and back on small one. Bold movie? Yeah... Limp pseudo-gutsy snoozer more like.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I am really excited to see what happens with Greatest Showman from here, I have a feeling we might be in for a run that makes us think we're in the 80's or something. I think it will drop around 35% next weekend and then post some crazy small drops for the rest of its run. 

• Like 1

Just now, Noctis said:

Also...Jumanji is the better film. The fact that I felt more emotionally connected to the four kids than Luke/Rey/Leia/Poe says a lot.

Weren't you raving about TLJ back on OW? 

Lol, poor movie, can't even keep the people who loved it satisfied. 

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Weren't you raving about TLJ back on OW? 

Lol, poor movie, can't even keep the people who loved it satisfied. 

No no. I said it was way too long and gave it a C+/B-. Second viewing I've bumped it to a B/B+ but have a lot of issues with it.