the beast

Weekend Thread - Insidious 29.6M, Jumanji 37.2M, TLJ 23.7M, TGS 13.8M, PP3 10.3

13 minutes ago, TheForceuser707 said:

First of all Miss, I'm a lot older than you and clearly better mannered. You don't address a stranger with such impertinence. But I'll allow it since the moderators here are slack.

You say TLJ had $200M production costs. Please offer a figure for its marketing and distribution costs. As you know those are separate and additional expenses.

In some cases these expenses are double the production costs, especially on globally distributed movies like this one. I've heard TLJ had total costs as high as $800M+. I've also heard that as a rule of thumb movies aim to make three times their production costs in order to break even.

So. Assuming that figure is correct: $800M, TLJ hasn't broken even yet. This of course based upon the studios recouping in this case 65% of the North American gross and far less of the overseas revenues.

Please take your time before you attempt to respond.

Thanks.

In what kind of hole have you been living the last .... your entire life? 

oh gosh! trolling is hilariously peaking lately in this forum. 

The last bolded sentence is literally killing me! LOL

Edited by meriodejaneiro
  • Disbelief 1

4 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Deadline's internal multiplier for TLJ was 3.5x (23.8/6.8). Using that with the official Friday estimate gives 6.584*3.5 = 23.0 weekend (56.2% drop)

RO dropped 55.5% on it's 4th weekend under better circumstances (No blizzard or delayed holidays during the preceding weekdays taking business away from the weekend to some extent). So that would be a good/decent drop for TLJ.

RO will still make ground it after 24 days at the DBO tho. At the end of the 17th day RO's total was 82.2% of TLJ's total at the same time while at the end of the 24th day, RO would have collected 83.5% of TLJ's gross at this juncture. OTOH, TLJ has recovered against TFA slowly after a horrendous 2nd week. After opening to 88.7% of TFA 's OW, TLJ went down to 68.2% of TFA after 10 days (calendar configuration favoring TFA heavily on Christmas Weekend). But since then TLJ has trended upward against TFA with 69.7% after 17 days and 70.4% after 24 days at the DBO.

• Thanks 1

Just now, TheForceuser707 said:

All of this for posting the facts?

The truth is there are people in this forum who are Star Wars fanatics to such a point that any reportage deemed as negative however factual or accurate is seen as a personal attack.

What can be more childish than this?

It's just a movie.

People didn't like it.

Do I need to be hated if I say this?

(Sighs).....we’re talking box office...not quality.

The movie is already a billion dollar hit. Don’t go overexplain that it isn’t. It’s made it’s budget.

7 minutes ago, TheForceuser707 said:

Speak for yourself.

You simply don't understand how to treat newcomers. That much is clear.

If you did you wouldn't be insulting strangers.

Aren't you the guy who thought TLJ would increase from Saturday to Sunday on opening weekend?

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, TheForceuser707 said:

You say TLJ had $200M production costs. Please offer a figure for its marketing and distribution costs. As you know those are separate and additional expenses.

In some cases these expenses are double the production costs, especially on globally distributed movies like this one. I've heard TLJ had total costs as high as $800M+. I've also heard that as a rule of thumb movies aim to make three times their production costs in order to break even.

So. Assuming that figure is correct: $800M, TLJ hasn't broken even yet. This of course based upon the studios recouping in this case 65% of the North American gross and far less of the overseas revenues.

1) TFA's prod budget was 300+. Even on the high-end TLJ's was 400m. It will do 3x that ww easily. It will do around 3x of 450 if you want to use that.

2) "I have heard" is not a valid source.

3) Even though you understand that a movie has to make "three times their production costs in order to break even" (which itself is not completely true; JL for eg would have broken even at 2.5x the 300 prod budget or 750 ww) and that production costs are different from marketing and distribution costs ("separate and additional" as you mention cleraly), you still go on to use three times the "I have heard number" of 800+ which includes marketing and distribution costs contradicting your own formula.

2 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

(Sighs).....we’re talking box office...not quality.

The movie is already a billion dollar hit. Don’t go overexplain that it isn’t. It’s made it’s budget.

I'm sorry but you don't know what its total costs were and until you produce something more accurate I'm going what I heard.

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

I heard from my cousin that Disney spent $1.5B on the movie.  No one can argue with me

Forceuser said 800m is the truth until more accurate info comes and im sorry theoneguy but my uncle is bob iger, it cost disney $2b for this one.

• Astonished 1