Ezen Baklattan

BOT Golden Globes - Ceremony Discussion Thread!

Just now, Valonqar said:

I think that people don't watch cause those shows are so outdated. They are too self-congratulatory which is boring to anyone outside of self-congratulatory circle, . 

that line is exactly why I haven't watched, especially the Globes, for many, many years.  I don't need to see a circle jerk.  not good tv for me

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

IMO, they should just tweet the winners and have ceremonies in private which will happen eventually cause nothing can bring back the viewership. 

I've been saying something like this for years too.  Or even just have a quick hour long show with announcing the winners.  It works great for the NCAA basketball tournament announcement show

What the hell is it with people saying they don't care about award shows ..... on threads made specially for award shows ?

why are you here then instead of doing literally anything else ? if those awards did not carry any weight you would not be here rooting for this film against that film and hoping this happens instead of that 

A lot of people don't care about award shows , they don't watch OR DISCUSS IT ANYWHERE 

this feels like you guys going to McDonalds to prove you don't care about food 

• Like 5

16 hours ago, La Binoche said:

You gotta love how they harped about the abuse of women all night...then celebrated someone who broke a woman's knee so she could win a medal. 

Yeah, that pissed me off. Harding shouldn't have been there at all and certainly not celebrated. Totally hypocritical. Not quite as bad as women who've defended and praised Weinstein, Polanski, and Allen wearing black but close.

16 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Well, the woman narrative should help Gerwig at least for a nom, but 3B has the pumped up justice/revenge/etc thing going which may give it an edge when it comes to Picture. It's much bigger representative of what Hollywood was droning on all night about than Lady Bird. 

Unless backlash over racism becomes deafening. Right now, the crowd was super pumped for that win. Super, super pumped. 

I don't see 3B as the feminist favorite at all. Most feminists I know hated it and dread seeing the vengeance fantasy winning over Lady Bird. Or Get Out. Or The Shape of Water. Or The Post. If Hollywood thinks 3B is what most women want to see win, they're dead wrong. If pleasing women was their goal, they'd be better off giving a BP nom to Wonder Woman instead of Dunkirk or some other movie that has no chance of winning. 

15 hours ago, Lestranger said:

I personally hated Billboards. I went in thinking it was a great oscar caliber film. The topic and cast made it seem so. The trailer felt super weird and off, but I thought it was just a bad cut. I got an hour in and turned if off. I love these actors, but the whole thing felt super obtuse and completely off color with the characterization and the violence. Has this person ever been to middle America? Then I realized it was Martin McDonagh and it all made sense. You have this very British director and writer trying to tell a subtle story about rural America. Yeah no. He has no idea what he is talking about. The characters were completely wrong across the board. The violence felt more in line with In Bruges or Seven Psychopaths than what they were trying to do here. The tone was cartoony, and it should not have been at all. Terrible choice for best pic IMO

Excellent point. 3B being out of touch with what middle America is like is a huge understatement.

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

I can't say I'm surprised given that it looked and felt like a funeral half the time.

6 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I know I am going off topic but since this has already gone political I would like to talk about some personal experience about how feminism can go to the wrong path and it pretty much applies for all the groups that try to favour minorities.

As some of you may or may not know, I am a chess player in competitive level. Chess is a mental game that requires no phisical ability and thus there really is no factor favouring men against women. Despite that, women are for reasons I won't go in depth performing worse than men with only 1 woman being in the top 100 right now. And because of that there are seperate prizes for women in most tournaments as well as some female competitions only. This means that a woman that is in the top 10 of the women's world list right now is making more than double the money that a male player of the same strength does since he will not even be among the top 100 players. I believe that's reverse sexism and very unfair.

First of all for the women actually who are undermined that way. I believe that there isr danger of this happening on a smaller extent to most of the fields where minorities can end up achieving more with less work. We are actually on exactly the opposite right now so don't get me wrong. I am just stating that an extreme attitude that I see some SJWs applying can have opposite equally negative results.

Image result for not sure if serious

Man, it's really sad that even with regards to an event championing and supporting women and their stories, we still have men coming out of the woodwork crying "WE'RE OPPRESSED TOO!" and "REVERSE SEXISM!" (which is in no way a real thing, just so you know) over the most menial things as a way of deflecting from the real issues at hand. Like women haven't gotten less (much less, in many cases) than men for doing the same work and the same amount of work entirely because they are not men since the beginning of time (and I know from the experiences of both the women in my family and female acquaintances throughout my life).

Also, can the mods please make it a thing that anyone uses the term "SJW" as a way of putting others down gets a ban for a certain amount of time? Because it's a good idea.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, filmlover said:

Man, it's really sad that even with regards to an event championing and supporting women and their stories, we still have men coming out of the woodwork crying "WE'RE OPPRESSED TOO!" and "REVERSE SEXISM!" (which is in no way a real thing, just so you know) over the most menial things as a way of deflecting from the real issues at hand. Like women haven't gotten less (much less, in many cases) than men for doing the same work and the same amount of work entirely because they are not men since the beginning of time (and I know from the experiences of both the women in my family and female acquaintances throughout my life).

Also, can the mods please make it a thing that anyone uses the term "SJW" as a way of putting others down gets a ban for a certain amount of time? Because it's a good idea.

But you did not address his point what so ever , you just did the " because they were wronged it justifies what ever they are doing right now even if it is injustice "  thing 

two wrongs don't make a right my friend and I seriously don't know what is the correct course of action when it comes to these subjects and this is something that requires a lot of discussion but one thing we should not do is undermine people who open said subjects to discussion 

12 hours ago, filmlover said:

I don't understand what makes you so angry about what I said. Of cource I am in favour of equal rights and unless you missed it I told that right now "it is exact the opposite situation" which means that women need to work more to achieve as much as men nowadays.

What I just did was describing a certain example in which I believe that yes, reverse sexism exists. Do you know more about my sport than I do?

What was difficult to understand? A proffessional female chess player makes more than double the money of a male chess player of the same strength. If this is not reverse sexism then what is it?

That was what my comment was all about and I don't get whhy you generalised so much and put words in my mouth that I never said.

It's not like I care from my part. I actually think it is women that are undermined in that way. It is like you are being said "you cannot compete with men".

Judith Polgar was actually a hungarian chess player and she refused to play in ANY female tournament through her life and managed to even get in the all players Top 10 and challenge the world title (the only female in history). That's what a true feminist icon in my opinion is.

On 1/8/2018 at 7:00 PM, Valonqar said:

If the fight for best picture ends up as Lady Bird vs Three Billboards the Oscars are gonna crash ratings wise too.

47 minutes ago, CJohn said:

If the fight for best picture ends up as Lady Bird vs Three Billboards the Oscars are gonna crash ratings wise too.

The title is a bit sensationnalist, in the demo is down, total vierwership was not.

That 2017 Jimmy Fallon-fronted affair of January 8 last year ended up a touch ahead of the 2015 Globes with a 5.6 rating among adults 18-49 and 20.0 million viewers – a rare rise in a year of award-show ratings declines. It’s a rare rise we might see repeated this year based on the MM results, which were the second best for the Globes in the past 11 years. Only the 2014 ceremony hosted by Tina Fey and Amy Poehler performed better than last night’s show popping a 14.1 rating for the Comcast-owned network.

Although small, a rise is a rise, with the Globes up incrementally for the third year in a row in metered market ratings.

Only 2014 had a better rating in the history of the show.... and all award show viewership are down.

-------

There is a not so short list of people that apparently do not care about awards and find time meaningless that talk about them, make prediction, complain about winners... almost on a weekly basis all year's long, what up with that.. ?

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Barnack said:

There is a not so short list of people that apparently do not care about awards and find time meaningless that talk about them, make prediction, complain about winners... almost on a weekly basis all year's long, what up with that.. ?

Been asking that for a while , hit me up if you find answers