a2k

Daily Numbers | Tuesday Jan 9th | TLJ 2.40, I4 2.21, TGS 1.90

1 hour ago, narniadis said:

Yeah, the Christmas Day # was the final curtain for anyhope of recovery. 35m CD was my high end after the poorer than expected Friday # that 2nd weekend but that +55% increase was just unheard of - as is most of this film's day to day weirdness of a run (I mean seriously decreasing on the 3rd friday??)

Ultimately it is not even going to out gross R1 by 100m....

Everyone here would feel better if it was 628 from a 200 opening. But Disney probably got a very favorable percentage of the gross on opening weekend, so they actually come out ahead with the weaker legs. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Everyone here would feel better if it was 628 from a 200 opening. But Disney probably got a very favorable percentage of the gross on opening weekend, so they actually come out ahead with the weaker legs. 

I doubt Disney got more than is 65% for the opening Weekend that was probably a flat fee like almost all movies in the 2010s.

8 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I doubt Disney got more than is 65% for the opening Weekend that was probably a flat fee like almost all movies in the 2010s.

I mean favorable compared to making $20m later in the run instead of opening weekend (220/628 versus 200/628). They get around 50% or less once the film gets to a certain point of the run.

• Like 1

I wonder what's going to happen to Blue Sky? Surely Disney isn't going to want their animated features under their brand name, and beyond that who will really want them? All of their past few releases have had lackluster box office takes - Epic and Peanuts just barely eeked out a profit, if any, while Ferdinand may lose money. And their only surefire cash cow (the Ice Age franchise) has also run dry. Could spell trouble for them. 

EDIT: Forgot about Rio 2, which turned a huge profit for them. A Rio 3 would probably do well enough in Latin and South America to warrant making, but otherwise they're not in good shape at all.  

Edited by MovieMan89

1 hour ago, AndyK said:

Hoping to see it this weekend.

Molly's Game is really outstanding from an artistic point of view, and what's more, it is *extremely* entertaining. Jessica Chastain is pitch-perfect sexy, the sexiest performance of the year, she just eats up the screen. And the story is slickly told and fun as hell.

It should be doing MAJOR mainstream box office, no way should it be stuck down around $15 million, well behind artsy films like Three Billboards, The Darkest Hour, The Shape of Water, and The Disaster Artist - all of which I saw and all of which I liked, but none as much as Molly's Game. 

Really, MG should have grossed about $80m DOM.  Terrible marketing.

Edited by SteveJaros
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SteveJaros said:

Molly's Game is really outstanding from an artistic point of view, and what's more, it is *extremely* entertaining. Jessica Chastain is pitch-perfect sexy, the sexiest performance of the year, she just eats up the screen. And the story is slickly told and fun as hell.

It should be doing MAJOR mainstream box office, no way should it be stuck down around $15 million, well behind artsy films like Three Billboards, The Darkest Hour, The Shape of Water, and The Disaster Artist - all of which I saw and all of which I liked, but none as much as Molly's Game. 

Really, MG should have grossed about $80m DOM. 

Yeah, just seeing and hearing comments from people, this is the one everbody wants to see.

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Haven't we had enough discussion about TLJ?

Yes, which is why now we're discussing The Avengers, which is overpraised and pretty forgettable.  Iron Man 3 remains the best MCU film.  Also, Thor: Ragnarok isn't that good.

Am I doing this right?

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 2

Avengers is so damn forgettable. The one thing that shocks me to this day is how unbelievably bland its cinematography is. 

Winter Soldier, Iron Man, and Guardians of the Galaxy 2 are the most memorable, especially the first two. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Avengers is so damn forgettable. The one thing that shocks me to this day is how unbelievably bland its cinematography is. 

Winter Soldier, Iron Man, and Guardians of the Galaxy 2 are the most memorable, especially the first two. 

In regards to Avengers being forgettable this scene alone begs to differ. My sold out theater went nuts after this scene.

rz4Hc0.gif

• Like 2