That One Girl

Lucy in the Sky | Fox Searchlight | Natalie Portman | Directed by Noah Hawley

4 hours ago, DeeCee said:

A female astronaut goes to space, and is so overcome by the experience she can't handle it.

And that is exactly why this movie wont see a dollar from me. It had to be a women again, that couldn't handle a professions reality usually dominated by men.

:sick:

1 hour ago, terrestrial said:

And that is exactly why this movie wont see a dollar from me. It had to be a women again, that couldn't handle a professions reality usually dominated by men.

:sick:

I don't know. The movie is actually based on a real woman and the real story sounds like something that would make an interesting movie. I even think the story was talked about for months when it happened. Surprised that a movie about it only released now.

I agree with what you said but I wouldn't mind if a wild story like this is told as a movie. 

Edited by lorddemaxus

15 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I don't know. The movie is actually based on a real woman and the real story sounds like something that would make an interesting movie. I even think the story was talked about for months when it happened. Surprised that a movie about it only released now.

I agree with what you said but I wouldn't mind if a wild story like this is told as a movie. 

I'd look at first if there were males experienced problems too. And if officially not, I'd look very closely into if there is a possibility its only not spoken about, as so many males seem still to have a problem with speaking about having a problem.

And if there are hints at its happening in one form or another also to males, than I'd make a movie out of that detail, how the time in space can lead to, and not focus on the woman. I'd also add input/details.... about the other women at NASA who seem not to share that detail (as far as I've seen out of the reactions)

There are many ways how to approach a theme. For now... they wont see a dollar from me.

47 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I'd look at first if there were males experienced problems too. And if officially not, I'd look very closely into if there is a possibility its only not spoken about, as so many males seem still to have a problem with speaking about having a problem.

And if there are hints at its happening in one form or another also to males, than I'd make a movie out of that detail, how the time in space can lead to, and not focus on the woman. I'd also add input/details.... about the other women at NASA who seem not to share that detail (as far as I've seen out of the reactions)

There are many ways how to approach a theme. For now... they wont see a dollar from me.

I don't think you know the context of the film. No astronaut (man or woman) has done what Lisa Nowak did. Nowak went across the country in diapers to kidnap her ex-boyfriend's girlfriend. The movie is based on Lisa Nowak and what she did: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_Nowak

That is why I am saying I want this story to be told. This story is unique, crazy and something that has never happened to any astronaut ever. They just can't change much here except for the names and such. That is why NASA isn't mentioned in this movie and they have a fake NASA instead. Not because the movie is about a batshit crazy woman but because it was a dark patch in their history.

Edited by lorddemaxus

35 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I don't think you know the context of the film.

I do not care for the context of the film. See if there were males experienced problems too - not all have to be same kind of problems or how those ended.

I have actually read the wiki entry. And see the 'premise' of the film (not the official summary, but probably a focus of the film, see saleableness / 'click-bait' advertising....)

I do not think the 13 days in space have anything to do with her flipping out.

I do not think her other profession has anything to do wit it neither.

That alone would be enough for me to not support this movie with anything.

There are more reasons, but I wont start a political / social discussion here.

edit: I fogot to add: the diaper detail.... was denied. There seem to bee some not proveen details flying aound. Does not mean it didn't happen, but also not that it did.

And even if, sometimes something like an inflamation... long journey.... there is a reason those exist outside of what some assume (no matter other found material)

Edited by terrestrial

22 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I do not think the 13 days in space have anything to do with her flipping out.

I do not think her other profession has anything to do wit it neither.

But what does that have to do with this argument? The argument that the movie is saying women can't handle space or whatever. The movie isn't saying that it has anything to do with the 13 days in space. The movie hasn't even come out yet. To make that argument about a film that hasn't even come out and nobody has seen makes no sense to me. Maybe the movie shows that she was messed up from the start and it was just the fact that her boyfriend dumped her the made her flip out.

Yeah, they can see how men experience the problems from going to space. But no man (or another woman) did what she did. There is no point in telling this story if they are just going to change it.

Also, we did get First Man which was about a man who struggled the whole way through and implied to have gotten emotional disconnected from his wife at the end (which did happen in real life). That movie has all of what you are talking about. Even the deleted scene would have taken that idea up to another level.

Edited by lorddemaxus

6 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

But what does that have to do with this argument?

Did you read my whole post? If yes I do not understand why you are asking it. If they do, what the 'premise' says (even if that was a dark iony thing pobably) than bad bad bad

Its how the'll focus on it.

If not: why would I be interested into what someone, who flipped out, did try to do, but didn't even do in the end?

ithout that, the movie tells in feature lenth about a really stupid culmination of a probably stupid / obsessive /... person that ended in her being in jail for 2 days

She was sentenced to a year's probation and the two days already served in jail, with no additional jail time

'Yeah, absolute the most interesting story they could find' (sarcastic). If they take her story. But as the story got already changed into something else by other pop culture, see the diaper detail ... arrgh.

What will be the 'hanger'/catch for this beside too overblow it or pick the details that makes her at least somehow unique? In her case that would be her profession(s).

Her getting mentioned in the news like: today a woman tried.... got arrested. And a few years later: got sentenced to.... = that is in my POV all what is even worthy to tell about it.

Wow, I was just coming here to say this looks cool, cuz of Hawley and Portman, but now instead I see that I have wandered into terrestrial losing her mind.

Good grief. This is a fictional story loosely inspired by a real person. Very loosely, I'll assume, without having seen the movie obviously.

Absolutely mind-blowing that anyone would assume that the reason she lost her shit is because she's a woman.

• Like 1

Just now, Reddroast said:

Im guessing a best director nod for Hawley

That would be crazy cool, but I'd be surprised if that happens. Might be too out there to be a big Oscars player

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

That would be crazy cool, but I'd be surprised if that happens. Might be too out there to be a big Oscars player

Im part way through season 2 of fargo and know Hawley has experience for trippy visuals with Legion. Would not be surprised if his gets the nomination

11 minutes ago, TMP said:

When was the last time a film with a big cast like this got a trailer before an actual release date?

First, I have a feeling this is going to be a smaller release. Going for the arthouse crowd instead of the big multiplex crowd.

Second, and perhaps more importantly, was this trailer released intentionally just a few hours before the Fox/Disney deal went official? Did they want to get it out there before Disney could say no? Did they want the trailer to be the last thing they released? Are they throwing the release date and marketing into Disney's lap?

• Like 1