Alli

Weekend Thread | 3-day estimates (per BOM): J 27M, TP 18.6M, TC 13.45M, I:TLK 12.14M, TGS 11.8M, TLJ 11.28M, P2 10.62M, PM 10M

14 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Didn't Spielberg also do Jurassic Park and Schindler's List the same year?

What a legend

George Lucas handled post production on Jurassic Park while Spielberg shot Schindler's List. 

I was looking at Spielberg's grosses and Catch Me if You Can made more money domestically than Minority Report! MR barely outgrossed WW because it made slightly more OS and by slightly I mean $6m. 

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 2

I've always been amazed by Spielberg's ability to juggle multiple big productions within a few months of one another. It's still hard to believe that Munich had a gap of under six months between the first day of production and its theatrical release - and that was a long, $70 million thriller, and it came on the heels of another race-against-the-clock production of Spielberg's (War of the Worlds).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

I've always been amazed by Spielberg's ability to juggle multiple big productions within a few months of one another. It's still hard to believe that Munich had a gap of under six months between the first day of production and its theatrical release - and that was a long, $70 million thriller, and it came on the heels of another race-against-the-clock production of Spielberg's (War of the Worlds).

Something like Munich, Catch Me if You Can likely are less strenuous to shoot compared to a tentpole. Spielberg likely trusts his crew to handle post production while he does another movie in the interim.  Clint Eastwood for example shot Gran Torino in the summer of 2008 and was released in December of the same year! 

32 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

He probably goes into every movie with efficiency in mind.

kahn said in a interview that they often ask themselves: how many millions more at the box office are we talking about if we do/correct this.

Post 1941, he has been an extremely responsible filmmaker.

Saving Private Ryan made with a 70m budget (105.27m adjusted), starring a peak Tom Hanks being an obvious example of that.

Or maybe even more, The Lost World the sequel to what was the biggest movie of all time worldwide, with big effects, at around that same price.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, AJG said:

Bring Paddington to South London. None of that fancy shit London that don't exist.

Wow, at least I had Armond White to back me up with Get Out. :P

Will say, though, that the anglophile tendencies of the film community probably contribute a lot to why the unbridled adoration for Paddington 2 is so unanimous. I don't think any movie that romanticized New York City in such a way (and certainly not Chicago or Detroit) would be able to ward off the angry thinkpieces so easily in this age. 

Edited by tribefan695

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

kahn said in a interview that they often: how many millions more at the box office are we talking about if we do/correct this.

Post 1941, he has been an extremely responsible filmmaker.

Saving Private Ryan made with a 70m budget (105.27m adjusted), starring a peak Tom Hanks being an obvious example of that.

Or maybe even more, The Lost World the sequel to what was the biggest movie of all time worldwide, with big effects, at around that same price.

He's yet to have a film that cost over $200m, I imagine RPO will be close to that given how VFX heavy it is although it does have no big names in the cast so it might be closer to $170-180m and I imagine Indiana Jones 5 will cost over $200m since Crystal Skull cost $185m. 

2 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Wow, at least I had Armond White to back me up with Get Out. :P

Will say, though, that the anglophile tendencies of the film buff community probably contribute a lot to why the unbridled adoration for Paddington 2 is so unanimous. I don't think any movie that romanticized New York City in such a way (and certainly not Chicago or Detroit) would be able to ward off the angry thinkpieces so easily in this age. 

I assume it's easier to portray the nice parts of London in film and get away with it, see Notting Hill as a example, I remember seeing Hampstead with Diane Keaton and lovely as that film was, it was very middle class in terms of where it was set.

21 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Something like Munich, Catch Me if You Can likely are less strenuous to shoot compared to a tentpole. Spielberg likely trusts his crew to handle post production while he does another movie in the interim.  Clint Eastwood for example shot Gran Torino in the summer of 2008 and was released in December of the same year! 

True, but I would argue that the difference is that Munich feels about as polished as it was ever going to be, whereas you can definitely tell that Eastwood shot Gran Torino in a hurry. He's great in the film, but there are so many scenes with the supporting actors where I wanted to say "Were you really sure you didn't want to do another take there, Clint?"

• Like 1

I seen The Post,  luckily I had bought tickets early because all the afternoon and early evening shows were sold out. The largest auditorium was packed with people that clapped, cheered, laughed and some even did a standing ovation at the end. People were walking out of the theater said "brilliant, amazing, very good, and one said "relevant to the times". After, I peaked in the smallest auditorium and all of two people were watching Star Wars: The Last Jedi. 

Also, I just wanted to say that the film deserves multiple awards. 

Edited by Chad Stevens
don't want to get political
  • Like 2

Yikes, Paddington might not even match yesterday's total at my theatre today. Our equivalent of 7.5M give or take for Saturday. Low 20's for the weekend. Almost half of the last movie's 40M opening here.

Fuck the domestic box office. UK knows where it's at apparently

10 minutes ago, Chad Stevens said:

I seen The Post,  luckily I had bought tickets early because all the afternoon and early evening shows were sold out. The largest auditorium was packed with people that clapped, cheered and laughed. Some even did a standing ovation at the end. People were walking out of the theater said "brilliant, amazing, very good, and one said "relevant to the times". After, I peaked in the smallest auditorium and all of two people were watching Star Wars: The Last Jedi. 

Also, I just wanted to say that the film deserves multiple awards. 

My God, that sounds like an insufferably smug audience.

4 hours ago, boomboom234 said:

It’d be simple just fix Luke. But as it stands I wouldn’t discount a decrease. Unlike the last Rots and rotj there is no chance this is the last Star Wars movie so finale factor. The original cast has been used up and TLJ pissed a lot of people off

How are they gonna fix Luke... 

Spoiler

when hes dead

• Like 1