MaxAggressor

Weekend Thread | Estimates per DHD (p.15): J 19.75M, 12S 15.3M, DoT 14.7M, TP 12.1M, TGS 11.1M, P2 8.3M, TC 6.8M, TLJ 6.5M, I:TLK 5.9M, FMG 4.3M

5 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

Is it true that The Greatest Showman is the only movie in history to open to less than $10 million and the cross the $100 million mark?

Shakespeare in Love did less than 5 on its first wide weekend according to BOM. Although that was a very different release pattern. American Beauty also did less than 10 on its first wise weekend. 

And then there's Scream

It's good that musicals has become back in vogue for studios, certainly the success of BATB, La La Land and now The Greatest Showman prove it. I imagine Wicked will be a huge hit in December 2019 and with West Side Story being eyed by Spielberg as a project, I imagine studios will be looking at what musicals they have the rights to and try and greenlight them

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It's good that musicals has become back in vogue for studios, certainly the success of BATB, La La Land and now The Greatest Showman prove it. I imagine Wicked will be a huge hit in December 2019 and with West Side Story being eyed by Spielberg as a project, I imagine studios will be looking at what musicals they have the rights to and try and greenlight them

I'm more interested in seeing a revival of original musicals now that LLL and TGS have been such big successes. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Hamilton is apparently in the works, and that's one I can see adapting well to the big screen.  I'd also love to see a Book of Mormon film adaption, but I'm not sure how well an R-rated comedy musical would play out. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I'm more interested in seeing a revival of original musicals now that LLL and TGS have been such big successes. 

Original film musicals were pretty rare even back in the day, it's easier for studios to adapt an existing title. 

6 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Hamilton is apparently in the works, and that's one I can see adapting well to the big screen.  I'd also love to see a Book of Mormon film adaption, but I'm not sure how well an R-rated comedy musical would play out. 

Hamilton I'm not too sure on, it works so well on stage but you'd have to rework to make it work as a film, likewise The Book of Mormon, the latter I believe Paramount has the film rights due to their relationship with Stone and Parker but I don't see them making it anytime soon. 

The only one I realistically see happening is Miss Saigon and maybe Beautiful

Musical films can be a great success as long as the budgets stay low. I don't know why the hell The Greatest Showman cost $84m to make, unless the circus animals were demanding more money?

Edited by Mojoguy

Tickets sold today at my theater:

12 Strong: 308 (night show nearly sold out)

The Post: 226 (early afternoon show nearly sold out)

Den of Thieves: 168 (night show nearly sold out)

Showman: 159 (night show nearly sold out)

Forever My Girl: 130

Darkest Hour: 104

The Commuter: 93

Jumanji: 91 (34 2D/57 3D)

Star Wars: 89 (31 2D/58 3D)

Paddington: 71

Proud Mary: 36

Insidious: 21 (one show in the afternoon was empty)