Neo

Top Gun Maverick | May 27, 2022 | Catch it in theaters...again on December 2nd! | Comes to Paramount+ on December 22!

Watched Top Gun last for the first time as an adult. 

I dont get it. The action is confusing - I struggled to tell who's who and where theh were positioned in some of the dog fights. The love story is tacked on and rushed. And the (im sorry) godawful song "Take My Breath Away" haunts parts of this movie like a spectre. 

Although moustache-guys death felt death felt kinda glossed over (Hardware failure in a $30m Jet leading to a pilots death seems like a bigger deal than the movie suggests) it's certainly a somewhat interesting peak into the supposed lives of Navy pilots but that's all I have. The last dogfight was cool too.

Also not as homoerotic as I remember although Val Kilmer's character is definitely Bi. 

New film looks cool. Gonna go see it in IMAX.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, mikeymichael said:

There's no way this doesn't get 160M over the 4 day. The hype is unreal. 

what does 160m for the 4-day likely mean for the dom total?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AJG said:

Watched Top Gun last for the first time as an adult. 

I dont get it. The action is confusing - I struggled to tell who's who and where theh were positioned in some of the dog fights. The love story is tacked on and rushed. And the (im sorry) godawful song "Take My Breath Away" haunts parts of this movie like a spectre. 

Although moustache-guys death felt death felt kinda glossed over (Hardware failure in a $30m Jet leading to a pilots death seems like a bigger deal than the movie suggests) it's certainly a somewhat interesting peak into the supposed lives of Navy pilots but that's all I have. The last dogfight was cool too.

Also not as homoerotic as I remember although Val Kilmer's character is definitely Bi. 

New film looks cool. Gonna go see it in IMAX.

Dogfights are cool, but it's not really a good film.

A film made in 1982 with Richard Gere, "An Officer And A Gentlemen" about a group of  people going through the first stage of Naval Aviator OCS is a much better film as far as drama goes. It also gives a much more realistic view of life in the military which Top GUn does not. Maverick would have been grounded permamently if he pulled one fourth the shit he pulls in the movie.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

what does 160m for the 4-day likely mean for the dom total?

I mean, that’s a big if. But looking at previous WOM Memorial Day hits, if it follows Aladdin from a 4-day of 160, that gives 486M lol.

11 minutes ago, dudalb said:

A film made in 1982 with Richard Gere, "An Officer And A Gentlemen" about a group of  people going through the first stage of Naval Aviator OCS is a much better film as far as drama goes. It also gives a much more realistic view of life in the military which Top GUn does not. Maverick would have been grounded permamently if he pulled one fourth the shit he pulls in the movie.

Nobody ever talks about that movie but it is 100x better than TG no doubt. Gere and LGJ are both excellent, it has a highly relevant/timeless story. It lacks the action and thrills of a TOP GUN type film, but its a true classic.

• ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, excel1 said:

Nobody ever talks about that movie but it is 100x better than TG no doubt. Gere and LGJ are both excellent, it has a highly relevant/timeless story. It lacks the action and thrills of a TOP GUN type film, but its a true classic.

Louis Gosset Junior is sort of in a tie with Lee Ermey Jr in "Full Metal Jacket" as the best screen Marine Corp DI.

As I said, it is much more realistic about life in the Military then TG is. In this film when people directly disobey as order there are consequences, unlike TG where Maverick gets away with it every time. That does not happen in the real military, beleive me. If you can't follow orders, they don;t want you, no matter how good a pilot you are.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Brings back nostalgia for me. I remember watching An Officer and a Gentleman and Smokey and the Bandit double bill at my first ever drive in when I was 10.  

Watched Top Gun for the first time last night, was pretty solid but you can’t convince me that Goose and Maverick weren’t totally in love with each other lol.