Neo

Top Gun Maverick | May 27, 2022 | Catch it in theaters...again on December 2nd! | Comes to Paramount+ on December 22!

Rewatched the first one yesterday, I'd only seen it once before about 25 years ago. The dogfights are still really boring (I hate them in Star Wars as well, to be fair), but the film's way better looking than I remember. Scott's sweaty, sunset-laden photography makes everything feel huge and visceral. A real precursor to Michael Bay, for better or worse. The script also takes itself just the right amount of serious, it's not nearly as camp as its reputation suggests.

I wouldn't say it makes me desperate to see this sequel but if they can make the ariel stuff more exciting then it's already a major win.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Rewatched the first one yesterday, I'd only seen it once before about 25 years ago. The dogfights are still really boring (I hate them in Star Wars as well, to be fair), but the film's way better looking than I remember. Scott's sweaty, sunset-laden photography makes everything feel huge and visceral. A real precursor to Michael Bay, for better or worse. The script also takes itself just the right amount of serious, it's not nearly as camp as its reputation suggests.

I wouldn't say it makes me desperate to see this sequel but if they can make the ariel stuff more exciting then it's already a major win.

Yeah Tony Scott is a MAJOR Bay influence. Beverly Hills Cop II is literally 80s Bad Boys II.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Yomama said:

The horror is starting to set in that 2022s highest grossing film may actually not be a Marvel movie

With Avatar2 releasing later this year, did anyone expect a Marvel movie to be highest grossing film of the year?

• Like 3

Why anyone is surprised that Cruise is a master tactician at this point in his career in terms of generating a blockbuster is beyond me.  Plus, he not only had a solid Bruckheimer and Kosinski on board, but (as much of the public doesn't know), McQuarrie -- who quite likely helped orchestrate extra action beats and massaging in post-production.  

God this was so great. Pitch perfect.

As soon as those opening notes hit, and the text with the font. They had me in the bag. It delivered everything I wanted and more. 

I couldn't anticipate just how thrilling and edge of your seat it would be, especially that third act. Can't wait to go back again. 

Edited by FilmFincher

Haven't cried this much in a movie in a while, who would've thought a Top Gun sequel would get me emotional. From the Don Simpson credit, to a certain comeback role to the end credits tribute. Top Gun 1 was my fav film as a kid and while it isn't now, I do still love it BUT this is way better! It joins the very small list of legacy sequels better than the original (along with Tron Legacy and Universal Soldier Day of Reckoning). Unlike another 80s thing dropping this week, this wasn't just a cheap pastiche. It genuinely felt like a movie of the era in the best way possible. Probably the best blockbuster since Mad Max Fury Road? 

It's awesome that the two best films of the year are Tony Scott throwbacks (this and AmbuLAnce).

Edited by TheDude391