Neo

Top Gun Maverick | May 27, 2022 | Catch it in theaters...again on December 2nd! | Comes to Paramount+ on December 22!

6 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

i remember the Ghostbusters Afterlife raves ,  i was shocked at the mediocre "real" reviews , but i expect solid reviews, but the Oscar talk , lol

Mendelson said it compares to Afterlife.  I know he's not liked around these parts, but his reviews i think are fair. Nostalgia sells, so i'm not surprised Cruise jumped on the bandwagon. We'll see more when the reviews come out on the 12th

9 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Mendelson said it compares to Afterlife.  I know he's not liked around these parts, but his reviews i think are fair. Nostalgia sells, so i'm not surprised Cruise jumped on the bandwagon. We'll see more when the reviews come out on the 12th

others compare to Creed, lets hope for the best

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maggie said:

He's an idiot.  

We just need the boomers to get off their asses and come and see this in droves. Something I’m not wholly convinced of, but with this kind of a reception it’s actually the best test case we’ve had as to whether they’re now out of the picture. At least in significant numbers. 

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

He's an idiot.  

The nostalgia element is the thing I’m most looking forward to. I want it to feel like Top Gun!! When things were better in my 80’s kid eyes.  So any criticism it’s a love letter to the original is all gold to me. 

8 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

i remember the Ghostbusters Afterlife raves ,

You made me curios and i searched for the Afterlife reactions. Shockingly it's the same usual suspects who reacted to TG 2 praising the movie. I mean, every single one of them reacted highly praising both movies. https://ew.com/movies/ghostbusters-afterlife-first-reactions-cinemacon/

Frankly, i don't blame THEM, i blame the studios for letting them share their opinions. The guys are an useful tool to raise hype, but it's all so disingenuous

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Maggie said:

It's not like Top Gun has always been some property that bucked all the trends of the day and was a trailblazer story wise. From the trailers it was apparent there'd be plenty of callbacks to the original and it'd structure pretty similarly to Creed. 

The question is whether Cruise would phone it in or dazzle us with an all-in mentality. Even if creatively it feels familiar, it doesn't seem like he's skimped out on the production side, and it's always been a heavier component of Top Gun than Ghostbusters.

I don't think Mendelson is saying anything dishonest but I also think how much it bothers people is going to differ greatly compared to Afterlife for various reasons.

Edited by MrPink

TG reactions are miles better than Afterlife 

Beyond a few people being hyperbolic, Afterlife reactions are very solid but not all that excited, and honestly it matches the overall reviews. What brings the scores down was the top critics that hate it.

TG i read easily more than 30 people talking about it, and all of them are VERY excited, way way more than Afterlife.

Shaw also said, he never saw Cinemacon audience so hyped after a screening like it happened with TG. 

I get the comparissons but it's not that deep tbh. Anyway, we will get reactions from professional critics on May 4, it's very close 

• Like 1

Honestly, the only thing Top Gun 2 doesn't have to do is bring back a dead cast member back to life via CGI. And all the principal actors are alive, so we're good.

Afterlife is absolutely atrocious, but I think the Harold Ramis moment is one of those rare sequences in cinema that's so wretchedly godawful and despicable that it deserves any and all backlash given towards the entire movie solely on that moment.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Eric is a furry said:

Honestly, the only thing Top Gun 2 doesn't have to do is bring back a dead cast member back to life via CGI. And all the principal actors are alive, so we're good.

Afterlife is absolutely atrocious, but I think the Harold Ramis moment is one of those rare sequences in cinema that's so wretchedly godawful and despicable that it deserves any and all backlash given towards the entire movie solely on that moment.

Kelly McGillis is alive but wasn't asked back for sad but obvious reasons 

Just now, BruiseCruise said:

I think going to Cannes and having the embargo drop weeks before the movies come out should tell us just how confident paramount is, those internal screenings must have been ridiculously well recieved

Cannes boss loved the movie, it was supposed to premiere in Cannes 2020 before the delays

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

If the recent MI movies can reach 200m is it really impossible for this film to be able to? Also kind of weird that many truly believe “senior citizens” are the only people that would be going to see this movie 

Similar to NTTD, if NTTD can gross 160m when the world was "less" normal back in Oct last year, TGM should have no problem clearing 300m with a lot of American friendly. 

Release Date Title 3-Day (FSS) Opening   % Chg   Low/High Range  % Chg  Distributor

5/27/2022 Top Gun: Maverick $95,000,000 – $130,000,000   $255,000,000 – $390,000,000   Paramount Pictures

If those high.end numbers end up happening then this is the first case since probably the maybe ever (so after  december 2017) where a movie i'm excited  and genuinely rooting for (no jumanji like memes needed) significantly overperforms expectations.

Everything else I either did not like when I ended up watching, performed pretty much in line with expectations, only rooted for "ironically" ,  I only rooted for from a purely see-numbers-go-up perspective, was a flop or wasnt really a box office player

Wouldn't really call MI7 a significant overperformance 

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

3 hours ago, Maggie said:

You made me curios and i searched for the Afterlife reactions. Shockingly it's the same usual suspects who reacted to TG 2 praising the movie. I mean, every single one of them reacted highly praising both movies. https://ew.com/movies/ghostbusters-afterlife-first-reactions-cinemacon/

Frankly, i don't blame THEM, i blame the studios for letting them share their opinions. The guys are an useful tool to raise hype, but it's all so disingenuous

Hold on a sec, Ghostbusters: Afterlife did well and was largely liked by the general audiences.  It played great with an audience and made good money.  

What are you even implying here?  

You've been the #1 person insisting that Top Gun: Maverick is going to bomb.  Now that it played like gangbusters you seem to be trying to find any way possible to discredit it.  

Take the loss and move on.  You were wrong.  

Edited by EmpireCity
  • Like 1