MaxAggressor

Weekend Thread | Estimates (per DHD) ~ MR:TDC 23M, J 15.8M, H 9.8M, TGS 9.3M, TP 8.7M, 12S/DoT 7.9M, TSOW 5.7M, P2 5.5M, TLJ 4M, TBOEM 3.6M

With Cloverfield looking more and more likely to go to Netflix, I won't be surprised if the Superbowl trailer ends with "Available now to watch instantly on Netflix". Would fit right in with the marketing for the previous Cloverfield movies.

17 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

What do we think the budget was on Den of Thieves?   

From Deadline:

The Christian Gudegast-directed Den of Thieves’ estimated $25M+ P&A backstopped by Diamond Films which also provided gap financing. About 60% of the budget was covered by international pre-sales. When you add in tax credit, it brings more like around 70%.

• Like 1

Just now, grim22 said:

With Cloverfield looking more and more likely to go to Netflix, I won't be surprised if the Superbowl trailer ends with "Available now to watch instantly on Netflix". Would fit right in with the marketing for the previous Cloverfield movies.

yes and at the same time putting it on there with zero build up is how netflix deals with most of their movies anyway so it'd make sense.

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

And yeah, Hunger Games was everywhere in 2012 and 2013 and completely Of out of the public mind by 2015. Pure definition of a fad

It was so big in 2012 that the second trailer for "The Five Year Engagement" replaced the dialogue said by a young girl with a bow from "I'm Pocahontas" to "I'm Katniss"

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It had the "This is the next big YA franchise" vibe going for it, and with THG coming to an end Lionsgate went all in on marketing it that way as well. Turns out it wasn't, but Lionsgate didn't know when to cut and run.

If Lionsgate hadn't split the finale in two tht could have made a complete trilogy. Now who's going to watch that series knowing there is no ending 

The Hunger Games has become a mainstay political reference point in the US, so I'd say it had a lasting cultural impact. Plus it inaugurated the female heroine led blockbuster. But yes when the movies are playing is typically the peak of their popularity. We will see how many Pennywise references there are next year.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, John Marston said:

And yeah, Hunger Games was everywhere in 2012 and 2013 and completely Of out of the public mind by 2015. Pure definition of a fad

When’s the last time anyone’s talked about Twlight for that matter?

Edited by DAR

2 minutes ago, aabattery said:

It's pretty fun how Netflix has been all "Bright! Huge success! Everyone loves it!" when it's the only time they've actually bothered marketing any of their movies.

Duncan Jones' new movie which looks like a sci fi thing with a fairly substantial budget premieres on netflix in just over three weeks! no trailer yet!

Edited by CoolioD1
  • ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

Duncan Jones' new movie which looks like a sci fi thing with a fairly substantial budget premieres on netflix in just over three weeks! no trailer yet!

There was, like, 10 seconds of footage I saw on Twitter yesterday.

Paul Rudd has a moustache. As far as I can tell that's their only hook.

4 minutes ago, aabattery said:

It's pretty fun how Netflix has been all "Bright! Huge success! Everyone loves it!" when it's the only time they've actually bothered marketing any of their movies.

I see Netflix’s definition of everyone differs greatly from mine

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I wonder how one (if you are not a teen girl hanging out with them) would have a good grasp on something like that.

I mean in 2015, 3 hunger games movies were in the top sellers:

https://www.the-numbers.com/home-market/packaged-media-sales/2015

Google trend, Hunger games vs Hobbit vs James Bond:

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=2011-12-28 2018-01-28&q=The Hobbit,%2Fm%2F0gkz15s,%2Fm%2F010phk22,James Bond

Nothing that special.

Surprisingly the song still play on the FM radio from time to time in my market.

Just now, aabattery said:

Now that's what I call auteur driven filmmaking. 

duncan jones is out there on twitter like the guys in the youtube comments for every rap song begging people to go to their channel and check out their freestyle.

• Like 2