That One Girl

BLACK PANTHER WEEKEND THREAD | Current Estimates - 202.4M 3-day / 242.6M 4-day | Record 40.167 Monday; more than TFA!

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

Lion King is gonna be my next 300M OW train, pending marketing campaign.

Is that even possible? 

I mean, has anybody calculated what would be the biggest ow at today's ticket rates, given there are a precise count of theaters/screens/seats and showings during the weekend? Like, full theaters for all the showings during thursday-sunday period ... how many $M would that mean? (I know prices change from 2D, 3D, IMAX ...) 

I'm curious. 

1 minute ago, Telehilation said:

This is @CJohn you’re replying to. :rofl: 

I will probably just say the trailers aren't good enough and won't create the club when the time comes :ph34r:

My Black Panther club tho. Tremendous victory :sparta:

• Like 1

I actually think Toy Story 4 might decrease from the 3rd film. The hook sounds nowhere near as interesting as Toy Story 3, which was sold as the final adventure/goodbye. Frozen has a better chance of increasing because it seems the cultural impact has remained steady or even continued to grow after the film's theatrical release (there are quite a few people who were introduced to Frozen via home media that would go see the sequel).

2 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

I actually think Toy Story 4 might decrease from the 3rd film. The hook sounds nowhere near as interesting as Toy Story 3, which was sold as the final adventure/goodbye. Frozen has a better chance of increasing because it seems the cultural impact has remained steady or even continued to grow after the film's theatrical release (there are quite a few people who were introduced to Frozen via home media that would go see the sequel).

Might? It's locked, mate :lol: 

• Like 2

Toy Story 4 is definitely not passing TS3. You're right, TS3 had one of the best and well executed hooks in a long time, the timeline was perfect. And it came out while surcharge 3D was in its prime. Plus nobody asked for it.

• Like 2

Just now, Jandrew said:

Toy Story 4 is definitely not passing TS3. You're right, TS3 had one of the best and well executed hooks in a long time, the timeline was perfect. And it came out while surcharge 3D was in its prime. Plus nobody asked for it.

It started the trend of Pixar rehashes. :ph34r: 

10 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

Is that even possible? 

I mean, has anybody calculated what would be the biggest ow at today's ticket rates, given there are a precise count of theaters/screens/seats and showings during the weekend? Like, full theaters for all the showings during thursday-sunday period ... how many $M would that mean? (I know prices change from 2D, 3D, IMAX ...) 

I'm curious. 

If I remember correctly, someone here once did this and the maximum OW for a single wide-release (4,000+ theaters) would be over $500 million if every seat in every show was occupied.

• Astonished 1

Temple of Doom is on Paramount Network. Is this the one where they cut out the heart and bite it? I know I've seen another Indy outside of Raiders, but I can't remember which one. I know the little kid and the blonde lady looks familiar.

Just now, Jandrew said:

Temple of Doom is on Paramount Network. Is this the one where they cut out the heart and bite it? I know I've seen another Indy outside of Raiders, but I can't remember which one. I know the little kid and the blonde lady looks familiar.

Yes. Campy, but also really funny. Especially the dated effects. Blonde girl is annoying though.

Just now, KP1025 said:

If I remember correctly, someone here once did this and the maximum OW for a single wide-release (4,000+ theaters) would be over $500 million if every seat in every show was occupied.

Well if you think Force Awakens did $57m in about 8 hours for previews? I know it was inflated with fan events and such, but still if you go for that as a baseline, running at 16 hours per day (assuming theaters don't show overnight, which is not entirely true) you get:

Thursday Previews: $57m

Friday: $114m

Saturday: $114m

Sunday: $114m

Total: $399m OW 

• Astonished 1

1 minute ago, Jandrew said:

Indeed

9 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

I wouldn't be too quick to brush off TS4. The franchise is basically animation royalty and has probably held its relevancy the best among kids of any other animated franchise/films from the 20th century. Also, no one really asked for TS2 or TS3 either to be fair. Both TS1 and TS2 kind of seemed like films that never needed a sequel.

Given the pedigree of the trilogy, I'll give Pixar the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the quality and assume it wouldn't be being made if it really failed to live up. This isn't the Cars franchise where no one really cares if the films are shitty and made to sell toys, Pixar would be crazy to not treat it with a certain degree of reverence given the legacy. I wouldn't count out beating TS3 if not for being surrounded by Aladdin, Pets 2, and The Lion King. Given those factors, it probably has like a 10% chance though. Just way too damn much competition. Probably the 350-400 range if it's good. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2