That One Girl

BLACK PANTHER WEEKEND THREAD | Current Estimates - 202.4M 3-day / 242.6M 4-day | Record 40.167 Monday; more than TFA!

3 minutes ago, RRA said:

I don’t blame him. He quit The Flash because as he put it, they wouldn’t let him give the project “edge,” i.e. political. (Some rumors claim his movie plot would’ve involved a BLM element, which is possible considering who they casted as Iris West.)

meanwhile Marvel let Coogler basically give us BLM Magneto in Killmonger and is raking in the dough.

I think BP can get away with being political just because of the character and setting, it'd be much tougher to do it in a movie like The Flash. 

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Both films benefitted from releasing at the right moment and both were movies people had been waiting for a long time. 

To say Wonder Woman's OW is a disappointment compared to BP's is wrong, it's like saying TDKR was a disappointment compared to Avengers when both were still huge hits. 

The TDKR comp is messy considering it was a sequel to a movie that made made more/got better reviews and generally considered at the time to be not as good as TDK. (And yet no DC film has hit a billion bucks since then.)

WW opened what it did with help from the reviews (made it friggin CITIZEN KANE of the dismal DCEU) but it was capped on OW because it was a DCEU film, a stinky brand. If it was a MCU film where people presume it’ll be decent from the get go? Presales would’ve been higher and bigger OW.

It’s obvious.

Just now, Jonwo said:

I think BP can get away with being political just because of the character and setting, it'd be much tougher to do it in a movie like The Flash. 

The tv series had made its own share of political commentary (like the other Greg Berlanti DC tv shows on CW) so this argument holds no weight.

55 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I don't think Static is that popular anymore and with Black Lightning on TV, it's unlikely they'll want to have two black lightning/electric based heroes. 

I'd say John Stewart co-leading Green Lantern Corps is more likely.

This ignores the healthy nostalgia that Millennials have for that cartoon (which was part of the DCAU), a leg up for it if it was to happen as a movie. (Plus as teensploitation, keeps it different from BP.)

I just don’t get WB sometimes.

• Like 1

One thing is for certain, these actors (and the director, and crew for the most part) have lives that are changed forever now.  You don't get this sort of meteoric attention and not end up with some kind of new normal.  I wonder how prepared they are for it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RRA said:

This ignores the healthy nostalgia that Millennials have for that cartoon (which was part of the DCAU), a leg up for it if it was to happen as a movie. (Plus as teensploitation, keeps it different from BP.)

I just don’t get WB sometimes.

I think if WB/DC wants to test the waters on a live action Static movie then it'd best to try a DC Original Animated Movie say a Teen Titans Movie with Static in it or maybe a new animated Static series for the new DC streaming service.