That One Girl

BLACK PANTHER WEEKEND THREAD | Current Estimates - 202.4M 3-day / 242.6M 4-day | Record 40.167 Monday; more than TFA!

1 minute ago, expensiveho said:

I can't believe Black Panther is opening higher than Civil War. I bet Feige is still cursing Ike for letting DC steal the "first female SH ever!!!" from them. Imagine CM-BP duo instead of WW-BP.

to be fair WB had Catwoman long time back. just that they f'ed it up so bad.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, expensiveho said:

I can't believe Black Panther is opening higher than Civil War. I bet Feige is still cursing Ike for letting DC steal the "first female SH ever!!!" from them. Imagine CM-BP duo instead of WW-BP.

I think Wonder Woman coming first might have a halo effect on CM, it proved female superhero films can be successful and it was a long time coming.

6 minutes ago, expensiveho said:

After Phase 1, I was skeptical when movies like GOTG and Ant-Man was what got made instead of BP and CM. 

But looking at it now, even though BP got introduced late due to internal problem within Marvel Studios (aka Ike), retrospectively, BP came at the absolutely right time, with MCU at its absolute height, reaping all the benefits. 

I hope and suspect Captain Marvel will be same.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

You telling me this could possibly reach #3 opening of all time when it's all said and done?

DWK6rpmXUAEKU7I.jpg:large

1 Star Wars: The Force Awakens BV $936,662,225 2015
2 Avatar Fox $760,507,625 2009^
3 Titanic Par. $659,363,944 1997^
4 Jurassic World Uni. $652,270,625 2015

Black Panther projected 640, 000, 000   2017

See the source image

Edited by Chad Stevens

3 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

You telling me this could possibly reach #3 opening of all time when it's all said and done?

DWK6rpmXUAEKU7I.jpg:large

You bet your ass our boys did it, Jandrew. 

• Like 1

I went to an IMAX screening yesterday and sadly couldn’t finish it cause there was a hella racist dude behind me making fun of the accents, doing monkey noises and just saying outright ignorant statements about Africa. I called him out in front of everybody as a piece of shit and walked out. I couldn’t stay there any longer cause I was a millisecond away from grabbing his fcking throat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 3

16 minutes ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

No. Don't know for sure that it's less frontloaded than Civil War, and even if it definitely is (it definitely is) that doesn't make 200M locked. Locked is a strong word. Unless you mean 200M 4-day? 

Except that we have evidence that it's less front-loaded than both CW and AoU. 

Spoiler

UPwuDdM.jpg

Friday is the same, but both Saturday and Sunday are bigger for BP already.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Sam said:

But looking at it now, even though BP got introduced late due to internal problem within Marvel Studios (aka Ike), retrospectively, BP came at the absolutely right time, with MCU at its absolute height, reaping all the benefits. 

Yep, just like Compton with it's subject matter, Panther came at the perfect time. Black pride is currently the highest it's been since maybe the 70s. Almost have to thank Ike's stupid ass in a way because "the culture" wasn't as strong even 5 years ago.

• Like 2

As impressive as Black Panther's Thursday is, HOLY MOTHERFUCKER OF GOD, Monster Hunt 2 scored a 97M OD :ohmygod:

Monstruous (no pun intended). Pretty sure that's just over Deathly Hallows Part 2 (DOM) as the 3rd biggest OD gross in BO history, only behind the DOM OD's of The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi. Unbelievable. May be the 1st non-Hollywood billion dollar grosser WW.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mr Impossible said:

I went to an IMAX screening yesterday and sadly couldn’t finish it cause there was a hella racist dude behind me making fun of the accents, doing monkey noises and just saying outright ignorant statements about Africa. I called him out in front of everybody as a piece of shit and walked out. I couldn’t stay there any longer cause I was a millisecond away from grabbing his fcking throat.

And the dude paid for an expensive IMAX ticket, contribute to BP box office success just to do that? 

Some people are just stupidly hilarious.

You should have dragged him out when you left lol.

Sorry about the bad experience.