grim22

Jurassic World: Dominion | June 10 2022 | 6th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

1 hour ago, ViktorLosAngeles said:

While I still believe “Avatar” will be the highest grossing film of the year, is it just me or does it seem like there is no buzz or interest from the public in it? Or maybe I’m sleeping on it.

We haven't really seen footage from Avatar 2 yet and some people got tired of the constant delays and re-scheduling.

7 hours ago, ViktorLosAngeles said:

While I still believe “Avatar” will be the highest grossing film of the year, is it just me or does it seem like there is no buzz or interest from the public in it? Or maybe I’m sleeping on it.

There wont be yet, its 10 months from release. Every time I see something on social media though, the comments are mostly filled with 'finally, Avatar is still my favourite movie' etc

Films like that dont need to marketing this far out

40 minutes ago, wintersoldier2021 said:

And the original has left no lasting impact in pop culture

This is so wrong. Everyone knows Avatar, most people still rave about it, there's just been no content released to keep it fresh in discussions, like any decade old movie. It's got the most pages of discussion in these forums alone, it persuaded millions of people to waste money on a 3d televsion, It created a surge in demand for hollywood entertainment in China and led every studio to convert their films to 3d. I cant think of any other film in history that had such a wide impact on the industry.

Avatar's 3d hype left such a great lasting impression that it took every other studio about 5 years to finally kill the format with cheaper looking post production conversion jobs. It did all this after just 1 movie, there's 4 more to come

I'd imagine Iron man would have left no lasting impact in pop culture had they not decided to give him 7 sequels and a few cameos. Let's see Avatar's impact after a few more sequels 

1 hour ago, Tarintino said:

This is so wrong. Everyone knows Avatar, most people still rave about it, there's just been no content released to keep it fresh in discussions, like any decade old movie. It's got the most pages of discussion in these forums alone,

You ... you do realize that atleast 1000 pages of that is just 3 or 4 different posters praising their God Cameron?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

You ... you do realize that atleast 1000 pages of that is just 3 or 4 different posters praising their God Cameron?

No i didn't.  Still, I would have thought a box office forum of all places would expect a huge gross from A2. Instead im hearing more realistic predictions from outside sources.

20 minutes ago, Tarintino said:

No i didn't.  Still, I would have thought a box office forum of all places would expect a huge gross from A2. Instead im hearing more realistic predictions from outside sources.

To be fair, i think most here do think that Avatar 2 will post stupid numbers, but as long as we have no footage (in form of a trailer for example), its a bit harder to really get a feeling for a movies potential. Technically, if Cameron delivers as he usually does, obviously Avatar 2 will have a chance to be the next 2 Billion + grosser. But at the same time, if the film for whatever reasons doesnt connect with the GA like the first did, it may settle with a shamefull, measly, embarrassing 1,6 Billion.

I personally flip-flop all the time with my feelings towards Avatar 2's coming run, but i really think that a trailer will change things in regards to predictions in this place.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tarintino said:

This is so wrong. Everyone knows Avatar, most people still rave about it, there's just been no content released to keep it fresh in discussions, like any decade old movie. It's got the most pages of discussion in these forums alone, it persuaded millions of people to waste money on a 3d televsion, It created a surge in demand for hollywood entertainment in China and led every studio to convert their films to 3d. I cant think of any other film in history that had such a wide impact on the industry.

Avatar's 3d hype left such a great lasting impression that it took every other studio about 5 years to finally kill the format with cheaper looking post production conversion jobs. It did all this after just 1 movie, there's 4 more to come

I'd imagine Iron man would have left no lasting impact in pop culture had they not decided to give him 7 sequels and a few cameos. Let's see Avatar's impact after a few more sequels 

Does anyone here have a friend or relative who constantly quotes avatar?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tarintino said:

Yeah, that's the thing, Iron Man kept on making steady appearances, becoming a beloved pop culture icon and being the kick-off to what's arugably the biggest franchise of all time.

Outside of a few hardcore fans, Avatar is remembered as that one movie with CG blue cat aliens that made an outrageous amount of money. . . . it's been near 15 years since the first. Avatar 2 has a 50/50 chance of being delayed for two more years.

Disney owns both all the same. . . .

Edited by Yandereprime101189
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Brainbug said:

I did not see the mods not a Avatar 2 thread comment.

Edited by dudalb

1 hour ago, ViktorLosAngeles said:

Let’s see - do you think this will have a 175+ million opening?

No way.

IYou won't see as many films get that big a opening as you used to.

And I suspect even without the covid impact, this would not do much above 100 Million opening. it just does not have that must see quality you need for a huge opening.

Edited by dudalb

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

No way.

And I suspect even without the covid impact, this would not do much above 100 Million opening. it just does not have that must see quality you need for a huge opening.

This post could not be more wrong.  

• Thanks 2

No way.

I cannot imagine the logic to think that Jurassic World: Dominion will only open about 15% above Venom 2.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

it just does not have that must see quality you need for a huge opening.

No opinion that much, outside Jurassic Park is the champion of the underrating, I will bet against surprising me and most people and being again a ridiculous giant success after it will not do it at least once again. 

5 hours ago, dudalb said:

No way.

Why not? I dont see the logic here. The covid impact has fizzled out rapidly. We saw with NWH and Bond how little Covid is impacting the box office right now, the virus is pretty much behind us, it doesnt even make headline news these days.

We are about to see a boom in the box office market

4 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

I cannot imagine the logic to think that Jurassic World: Dominion will only open about 15% above Venom 2.  

The film has the best hook/premise for a Jurassic Park sequel besides the first Jurassic World: There the Park was finally open, with this here its literally a world where dinosaurs roam free across the planet.

I think its fair to say that this is something that not only Jurassic Park fans always wanted to see.

• Like 1