grim22

Jurassic World: Dominion | June 10 2022 | 6th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

39 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I will be disappointed if Strange 2 doesn't open $150M+

and if the rumors turn out true even more.

I’m thinking Captain Marvel OW with Infinity War legs for DSITMOM

Dominion is hard to judge. Is it Rise of Skywalker or Return of the King (I’m talking comparative box office to the previous 2 installments). I can see $350M or $500M.

16 minutes ago, PenguinXXR said:

I’m thinking Captain Marvel OW with Infinity War legs for DSITMOM

Dominion is hard to judge. Is it No Way Home or Return of the King (I’m talking comparative box office to the previous 2 installments). I can see $550M or $800M.

Fixed it, you made some typos.

I think Jurassic has a better chance than Dr Strange to release in China if current impasse continues. That gives Yuge advantage to the dinos for sure. Plus there is no way Dr Strange can come close to nostalgia factor of Spidey with Tobey/Andrew back.

Spoiler

Not even if they are back for Dr Strange(may be Raimi will get Tobey to make a quick appearance)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wintersoldier2021 said:

Domestically this makes 400 million tops while strange will clear 450 easily

Lower than Fallen Kingdom is pretty unrealistic in my opinion. 500 Million for Dominion seems more safe. People tend to underestimate the power of dinosaur appeal. It happened with Jurassic World when people said that it will gross about 250M or 300M, it happened again with FK, when many here said that it would top out at 350M.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Lower than Fallen Kingdom is pretty unrealistic in my opinion. 500 Million for Dominion seems more safe. People tend to underestimate the power of dinosaur appeal. It happened with Jurassic World when people said that it will gross about 250M or 300M, it happened again with FK, when many here said that it would top out at 350M.

Fallen Kingdom did very well after good will from the first JW. Dominion is direct sequel to not-so-good JW:FK. It will drop as The Rise of Skywalker did after The Last Jedi. $500M is not gonna happen. $400M will be a big surprise. $330-350M is were I see it now. Strange2 will crush the dinosaurs this summer, Thor probably too.

Edited by Juby
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Juby said:

Fallen Kingdom did very well after good will from the first JW. Dominion is direct sequel to not-so-good JW:FK. It will drop as The Rise of Skywalker did after The Last Jedi. $500M is not gonna happen. $400M will be a big surprise. $330-350M is were I see it now. Strange2 will crush the dinosaurs this summer, Thor probably too.

We'll see. Id argue that Last Jedis extremely divisive reception in large parts played into Rise of Skywalkers gross. Meanwhile, ofc FK didnt have a glowing reception, but people also claimed before it that Jurassic World wasnt really that well-received and that is why Fallen Kingdom would fail to gross 400M DOM. Im just not convinced by that argument, since Jurassic Park films nowadays have the same advantage like the Fast and Furious movies: Everyone knows it will be a stupid movie, all that the GA wants is a fun ride with some cool dinosaur action. The trailer and the whole premise of the movie promise exactly that.

And i for one believe that neither Thor nor Dr. Strange will be able to gross more than JW 3.

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Meanwhile, ofc FK didnt have a glowing reception, but people also claimed before it that Jurassic World wasnt really that well-received and that is why Fallen Kingdom would fail to gross 400M DOM. Im just not convinced by that argument, since Jurassic Park films nowadays have the same advantage like the Fast and Furious movies: Everyone knows it will be a stupid movie, all that the GA wants is a fun ride with some cool dinosaur action. The trailer and the whole premise of the movie promise exactly that.

1) While it did pass $400M DOM, it was only by $17M. That's a 36% drop from JW1. Bigger than TLJ's drop from TFA (by percentage). 

2) Your FF comp is appropriate. Those keep dropping from their 2015 high as well ;)

Just now, PenguinXXR said:

1) While it did pass $400M DOM, it was only by $17M. That's a 36% drop from JW1. Bigger than TLJ's drop from TFA (by percentage). 

2) Your FF comp is appropriate. Those keep dropping from their 2015 high as well ;)

Yes but whats also important to note is that Fallen Kingdom was essentially Dino Apocalypse + 1 hour in a mansion. It astounds me to this day that they went with that 😅 but it layed the groundwork for why this movie can exist and why i think it will have a real chance at 500M+.

The whole premise of dinosaurs running wild in the world together with the old cast combing back is the first Jurassic Park sequel since Lost World that really feels like a new take on the franchise. This is honestly the last movie i would underestimate this summer. It will explode.

16 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Yes but whats also important to note is that Fallen Kingdom was essentially Dino Apocalypse + 1 hour in a mansion. It astounds me to this day that they went with that 😅 but it layed the groundwork for why this movie can exist and why i think it will have a real chance at 500M+.

The whole premise of dinosaurs running wild in the world together with the old cast combing back is the first Jurassic Park sequel since Lost World that really feels like a new take on the franchise. This is honestly the last movie i would underestimate this summer. It will explode.

We will see. I heard a lot of the same thing about King of the Monsters. Obviously JW3 will be comparatively larger but it seems like a lot of overestimation for me. 

2 minutes ago, PenguinXXR said:

We will see. I heard a lot of the same thing about King of the Monsters. Obviously JW3 will be comparatively larger but it seems like a lot of overestimation for me. 

Yeah, part of me (the diehard fan probably) is obviously inclined to be optimistic in general about JW. But i do think that you cant really compare Godzilla as a franchise to Jurassic Park. The former is still honestly niche and very nerd-driven, while the latter has a way more universal appeal.

Also, in general, i just wish for an exciting summer box office season since we didnt have that for 2 years now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Fallen Kingdom(while I enjoyed it) was divisive though