WrathOfHan

The Crow | August 23, 2024

The crow is on the these movies is a cult for a series of unrepeatable circumstances (more than objective factors) that you can't repeat again. It's like to make a remake of Donnie Darko. It's just plain stupid. 

Edited by vale9001

The fact they tried to modern action-ize The Crow shows what little care went into this remake. No one watches the original and comes out praising the action. Its the Gothic atmosphere and Brandon's haunting performance that made it a cult classic. It's a vibes movie before anything. You look at a single frame of the remake and you couldn't pinpoint where the hell they're at. Contrast that to the OG with each scene's scenery suffocating with personality. 

Eric Draven isn't John Wick. He shouldn't be doing gun-fu and walking around like the Terminator. Majority of his kills were creative. Isolating each gang member away from each other. His immortality made him more of a trickster than a force of destruction. And goddammit if you're remaking this film, your supporting cast better be up to the original's standards. Its telling they barely featured any villains in the marketing. The 1994 film had some memorable side villains. We really should be including Michael Wincott's Top Dollar as a top tier comic book villain. Sorry, but if Danny Huston shows up, it's almost guaranteed to be a snooker of a role. I don't remember the last time he had a genuinely great villainous performance. 

OK rant over. I had to get that out as the original Crow is one of my all time favs and this remake gives the impression no one actually loved or cared about the original. They were more concerned with making a John Wick style franchise out of it. 

• Like 9

16 hours ago, GambitPool said:

OK rant over. I had to get that out as the original Crow is one of my all time favs and this remake gives the impression no one actually loved or cared about the original. They were more concerned with making a John Wick style franchise out of it. 

the rule Hollywood shoud learn: If people didn't care about Grease 2 they won't care about a remake of Grease. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, ThePhasmid said:

Reception isn't surprising after the trailer was released. Lionsgate is hurting big time right now. Catastrophic summer for them.

And they can't sell off the distribution rights to the films to shield themselves from losses anymore.

They did that once too often for films that bombed, and now the dsitriubtors seem will not touch a distriubtion rights deal with Lionsgate. Now it the usual drisrubition deal  in which the distributors don;t pay liongates a cent in advance.

Edited by dudalb

4 hours ago, vale9001 said:

the rule Hollywood shoud learn: If people didn't care about Grease 2 they won't care about a remake of Grease. 

Well, Grease was good, Grease 2 was not made a difference.

BNut agreed remaking a classick like Grease is always a risky undertaking.

I didn't outright dislike this film. This is actually better than all of the sequels. There's some things to appreciate here. This feels more like an action film version of the Divine Comedy than The Crow. He's sent into Limbo for a life wasted without committing any serious sins. I suppose the "Virgil" of this film is more of a tradesman in Limbo. Someone who offers resurrection by way of collecting the souls of those who signed a Faustian pact.

The problem with the film is its dialogue. The visuals and plot are not terrible, tbh. It's the dialogue that feels completely stunted.

On 8/23/2024 at 5:09 PM, dudalb said:

And they can't sell off the distribution rights to the films to shield themselves from losses anymore.

They did that once too often for films that bombed, and now the dsitriubtors seem will not touch a distriubtion rights deal with Lionsgate. Now it the usual drisrubition deal  in which the distributors don;t pay liongates a cent in advance.

1 or 2 quarters ago Lionsgate put out a slide saying that 75% of their films turn a profit which implies they're still getting bites (and possibly there's more VOD work than I think). 

On the other hand, Lionsgate "feature films" made 59M from April to September 2020 (a period with no theatrical releases) so their old library baseline was probably >20M a quarter. The most recent quarter (Ungentlemanly, unsung heroes, strangers) saw 48M INT with strangers' gross getting a narrative shoutout

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 1

I hear some people saying the soundtrack felt out of place. I disagree. It might have the best use of Enya's Boadicea in a film. It's no Dead Can Dance, but it's appreciated. Is it as good as the original's use of The Cure's Burn? No. But I still respect it. It has some Joy Division in it, which many will remember NIN remixed for the original film.

Edited by ThePhasmid

On 8/24/2024 at 4:02 PM, PlatnumRoyce said:

1 or 2 quarters ago Lionsgate put out a slide saying that 75% of their films turn a profit which implies they're still getting bites (and possibly there's more VOD work than I think). 

On the other hand, Lionsgate "feature films" made 59M from April to September 2020 (a period with no theatrical releases) so their old library baseline was probably >20M a quarter. The most recent quarter (Ungentlemanly, unsung heroes, strangers) saw 48M INT with strangers' gross getting a narrative shoutout

Oh, distributors  will still distribute Lionsgate movies, but they will not buy the rightsoutright, . which was how Lionsgate protected itself in the past.

It;s complex, but basically when a distributor buys the rights to a movie, it gets a much bigger percentage of the take then in a standard distribution deal. The downside is if the film flops, you eat the loss, not Lionsgate, which covered itself with the money from the sale. A standard distrubtion deal is much different, with Lionsgate taking the risks.

On 8/22/2024 at 5:03 PM, GambitPool said:

The fact they tried to modern action-ize The Crow shows what little care went into this remake. No one watches the original and comes out praising the action. Its the Gothic atmosphere and Brandon's haunting performance that made it a cult classic. It's a vibes movie before anything. You look at a single frame of the remake and you couldn't pinpoint where the hell they're at. Contrast that to the OG with each scene's scenery suffocating with personality. 

Eric Draven isn't John Wick. He shouldn't be doing gun-fu and walking around like the Terminator. Majority of his kills were creative. Isolating each gang member away from each other. His immortality made him more of a trickster than a force of destruction. And goddammit if you're remaking this film, your supporting cast better be up to the original's standards. Its telling they barely featured any villains in the marketing. The 1994 film had some memorable side villains. We really should be including Michael Wincott's Top Dollar as a top tier comic book villain. Sorry, but if Danny Huston shows up, it's almost guaranteed to be a snooker of a role. I don't remember the last time he had a genuinely great villainous performance. 

In a way, it is the problem I had with  RDF Holmes movies. The chatecter just was not the Sherlock Holmes I grew up with and loved. He is not an action hero.

Edited by dudalb

I appreciate the unfiltered shade here lmao.

Poor Bill Skarsgard appearing in two genre films this year making virtually zero money. At least Nosferatu will probably be acclaimed and will make much more, even if it won't be rivaling the year's biggest hits.

7 hours ago, Krissykins said:

The original director has thrown some shade at the box office for the new Crow.

His last film was 8 years ago and it was Gods of Egypt.

people in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones! 😂

The original was fine for what it was. Very small budget and was profitable. But I don't think anyone was asking for a remake, especially not Crow fans.